Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

A place for general discussion

Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Pyro » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Image

Image

I can get any's amount of these from the local pub, they are to good to waste.

Help

How can I get the advertising blurb of them, or disguise them for re-labelling.

Pat
User avatar
Pyro
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Galloway Hills Scotland
Stills: Twin Airstills,

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Icefever » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:55 pm

They do look the dogs doo-dars.....don't know how you will clear them to re-use....what about just pasting a label over the top
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
User avatar
Icefever
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Kingdom of Mercia

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Pyro » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:35 pm

It's a rather large label and there's is worse crap on the back.
User avatar
Pyro
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Galloway Hills Scotland
Stills: Twin Airstills,

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Myles » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:39 pm

They are ceramic bottles so is the label in the glaze or is it applied?

If it is in the glaze then you are probably looking at glazing over it - do you know a potter or someone that does ceramics?
User avatar
Myles
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby H12rpo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:54 pm

Probably screen printed I would guess.....I would.try a bit of paint remover ?
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Easydrinker » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:16 am

I would be a lazy arse here and follow Ice's suggestion, a dirty great label over the top.
Sweet looking bottles though.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Mash » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:06 am

Plasticote spray paint? Any colour.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Pyro » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:09 am

Thanks folks, looks like a spray can job, failing that, a bloody great label.

Pat
User avatar
Pyro
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Galloway Hills Scotland
Stills: Twin Airstills,

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Toper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:57 pm

When I used to use recycled bottles, often some had very difficult plasticised labels.

I use to use a sharp knife to score these and then thoroughly wet with fores.

I found that fores had a remarkable facility to remove stubborn labels.

This may are may not work with your bottles.

Good luck
T
User avatar
Toper
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am
Location: West Yorkshire.
Stills: Copper Pot Still

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Pyro » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:07 am

I remember that type of bottle well, couldn’t do anything with them except bin them. I was lucky and was always able to lay my hands on used wine bottles.

The bottle that is giving me my present problem is ceramic, and has been painted then possibly stencilled, screen printed or some modern method used for the labelling. It won’t even scrape of with a knife.

I am looking to day for the best spray paint to use in this project.

Pat
User avatar
Pyro
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Galloway Hills Scotland
Stills: Twin Airstills,

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Mash » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Boiling water in the bottle 'sometimes' warms the glue up so you can peel it.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Pyro » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:19 pm

Have ordered up some mat black spray paint and some clear printable lables, didn't know that they existed.

I will giveit a try.
User avatar
Pyro
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Galloway Hills Scotland
Stills: Twin Airstills,

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Phantom » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:45 am

If it's screen printer (which is how it looks) then you'd need a nuclear grade solvent.

For my normal bottles, I use Preptone, which is a xylene based solvent designed to remove decals from painted surfaces (so car spiving).

It's real sniffers delight stuff. Then they go in the dishwasher.........

{edit} cellulose thinners might do the screen printing ;D {/edit}
User avatar
Phantom
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Land of Nod (South)
Stills: smart still and T500

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Myles » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:18 am

Pyro wrote:Have ordered up some mat black spray paint and some clear printable lables, didn't know that they existed.

I will giveit a try.


I tried that once with limited success. The labels printed OK but the inkjet ink was not waterproof. Just a heads up. I spray varnished mine but they did not look that great.
User avatar
Myles
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Painted & possibly stenciled stone bottles

Postby Pyro » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:28 am

Sorry there seems to be a glitch at the moment, I cant upload a picture. I gave the bottles a quick blow over with mat black spray paint and it has worked wonders, but the labelling is another matter.

I first tried printed clear labels but the colour wasn't right or strong enough, then tried large printed label. I will have a rethink on the label and that should be job done. Hopefully.

Pat
User avatar
Pyro
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Galloway Hills Scotland
Stills: Twin Airstills,


Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest