Page 1 of 2

Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:31 pm
by Sonder
Hello all,
I'm new to all this so let me start off by saying a huge thanks to everyone who posts on here, I genuinely wouldn't have made it this far without your help.
I've been playing around with that finest of birthday gifts the air-still, and am delighted to say I've had some success with the kale wash and sputnik from this site. :)
However, I'm looking for some guidance on what to do with the accumulated heads & tails from spirit runs.
Due to a lack of space I've been bunging all of it into one demi-john, which is now approaching full.
Can I salvage anything from this (and if so, how?) or can this only be done with separate heads & tails collections?
Any tips, hints & finger-waggings gratefully received!

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 pm
by Icefever
Hi & welcome Sonder.

This is a mixed bag...I've just run 19 litres of head, tails, and odd bits left over and finished up with a decent quantity of likker.

Now, you will find some guys will say that they don't bother with either heads or tails, but, there's always a but...there is a small quantity of good likker still lurking around in the above-mentioned crap.

If you have the know-how and time, go for it, it's times like this that you realise where you are on this steep learning curve that you've started on.

Best of luck and let us know what you think about the end product that you finish up with.

Ice.

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:45 pm
by Sonder
Thanks Icefever, good to know it wont be wasted. I'll put it aside until I've ran my next lot of kale wash through.
Now I really must pick up some more demi-johns!

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:11 pm
by Klunk
Personally I collect heads n tails in separate jars. Tails I add a litre at a time to a cleared kale wash when it's ready to go in the pot. This ups the % and qty a bit. The heads I do a "heads run" with by diluting to 30% and re running again in my pot with some bots :)

But it's whatever floats your boat at the end of the day, or in my case...pops my corks! :D

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:14 pm
by Sonder
Klunk wrote:Personally I collect heads n tails in separate jars. Tails I add a litre at a time to a cleared kale wash when it's ready to go in the pot. This ups the % and qty a bit. The heads I do a "heads run" with by diluting to 30% and re running again in my pot with some bots :)

But it's whatever floats your boat at the end of the day, or in my case...pops my corks! :D


Ah, That's Interesting. I thought I'd heard something about re-distilling the heads and tails separately, but couldn't
find any further details. Definitely something to think about in the future 8)
Haven't come across the term 'bots' yet though, what is that ? ???

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:32 pm
by Icefever
Sonder wrote:Haven't come across the term 'bots' yet though, what is that ? ???


I think you find it's..."Botanicals"...... ???

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:28 pm
by Sonder
Icefever wrote:
Sonder wrote:Haven't come across the term 'bots' yet though, what is that ? ???


I think you find it's..."Botanicals"...... ???


It all becomes clear! I really should have guessed that :-[
Cheers folks, and thanks again for the pointers ;D

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:20 pm
by Klunk
No worries, that's what most of the folks on here do, help where n when we can ;D

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:43 am
by Mash
Welcome.
For a different take....

I use a lot of junkohol (heads/tails/ullage) for cleaning / fly spray / preservative / fire lighting etc etc. Never gets wasted.

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:52 pm
by Sonder
Mash wrote:Welcome.
For a different take....

I use a lot of junkohol (heads/tails/ullage) for cleaning / fly spray / preservative / fire lighting etc etc. Never gets wasted.


Ta Mash, I do save the foreshots in a wee bottle as a general purpose label-remover/solvent, I may have to start thinking bigger!

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:02 pm
by Easydrinker
I would be lost without the Rubbish from a heads run, I would have to buy firelighters again, and that is without the occasional use on a BBQ in this part of the world.
Lots of other uses.

Robert.

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:13 am
by Maker
ED you could run a Honda moped on it, if you could get your shit together enough to buy a Honda moped, stop wasting your money on sugar and yeast, buy yourself a moped, idealy a Honda.

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:11 pm
by Easydrinker
If I don't spend the money on Sugar and Yeast how do I fuel the moped?

I hope you made it to bed safely ;)

Robert.

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:39 pm
by Mash
Lol. I thought that. Well tbh.
"What have you been drinking!!"

Re: Heads (you win) & Tails (I lose)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:19 pm
by Maker
I'd been looking at mopeds from my youth on ebay and drinking whiskey, it's hardly my fault.
I still stand by the idea of using junk booze as fuel as a good idea, if you could collect all your supplies this way it would be very eco hippy acceptable, I got a C50 moped (Honda...) to run on ouzo once, not very well but it ran.