Page 2 of 4

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:11 pm
by inspector gadget
Curmudgeon wrote:I think £8.90 a bit steep, but that's fair for postage.

I do get the coinage or whatever going quiet, but never the lid lifting, which is why I'd replace the ring.

Sometimes I have to get swmbo to hold the still with one oven glove while I wrestle the lid with another. No way mine would lift on it's own without a major problem.

edit : a bungee cord hooked under both sides and holding the lid down woulddn't interfere with airflow much


Ordered after 2.00pm yesterday ...here today lunchtime, cannot gripe about anything, I just hope these ones don't go saggy.

Might try the bungee cord if I hit burp time.

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:43 pm
by Easydrinker
Hard to believe that despite my Gung-Ho approach and just a mug full of Copper, I have not YET had a problem ;D

Robert.

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:50 am
by Mash


Might try the bungee cord if I hit burp time.


Not sure that's a good idea. The top doesn't lock down for a reason.

Solve the problem.. trying to contain it you potentially making it worse. Never forget you are boiling a flammable liquid. Would you be more careful of it was petrol? 8)

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:52 pm
by makum101
I had a massive surge that blew the top right off the base a while ago. (no one was hurt but if they had been within 4 foot of it they would have been). I bought new ceramic saddle things and chucked some copper in. Never happened again.

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:29 pm
by inspector gadget
Has anyone had the top seal expand and fall off?

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:14 pm
by gaza the instructor
I would not try and tie the lid down
it could turn the whole thing into
a petrol type bomb !!!

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:44 pm
by Mash
Gadget it might be safest to get a new seal and put some assorted copper in it. You are beginning to worry me 8)

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:36 pm
by inspector gadget
Mash wrote:Gadget it might be safest to get a new seal and put some assorted copper in it. You are beginning to worry me 8)


If you read the posts before passing comments, then answering them might just be more helpful.

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:09 pm
by gaza the instructor
Im sure when you fit one of those new seals
things will be fine. They are a snug fit,
or should be and it should take quite some
effort to get the lid off mate.

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:32 pm
by inspector gadget
gaza the instructor wrote:Im sure when you fit one of those new seals
things will be fine. They are a snug fit,
or should be and it should take quite some
effort to get the lid off mate.


The new one is perfect and have finished the spirit run, apart from about 1.5 litres left over, I was just wondering if anyone might know what caused the old one to expand by about 20mm in diameter.

IG

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:59 am
by Mash
Good news.

I have had to replaced one after a lot of work. But it never fell off. Just didn't seal well.

We are lead to believe silicone is heat proof, but I think perhaps it is over exaggerated. The prolonged heat and alcohol exposure must be what causes the degradation. How many runs had it done?

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:54 am
by inspector gadget
Mash wrote:Good news.

I have had to replaced one after a lot of work. But it never fell off. Just didn't seal well.

We are lead to believe silicone is heat proof, but I think perhaps it is over exaggerated. The prolonged heat and alcohol exposure must be what causes the degradation. How many runs had it done?


More than 50, around half of that just distilling water, it was always possible to squeeze it in but when it fell off it was time to go. I wonder if there is a lubricant that is safe and would stop any absorption into the silicone?

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:43 pm
by Curmudgeon
a google for food safe ptfe lubricant comes up with stuff, but not cheap.

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:03 pm
by Curmudgeon
If you didn't like the bungee cord idea, you're not going to like this guy's still ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKpzUx8F4LY&list=PLW1Y6AdEtfV_LlQG6777nZVsdXTGP4Qso&index=3

Re: Airstill burping.... On a spirit run?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:36 pm
by gaza the instructor
Is that a brick copy of the Great Wall of China
on the top of his boiler?
What on earth for ???