Page 1 of 1

spirit hydrometer accuracy ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:02 pm
by ninja_geezer
I have 2 spirit hydrometers,one made by still spirits (made in china)
the other a Stevenson reeves (made in scotland) the later reads higher than the other ,ie, if the still spirits one reads 40% the stevenson reeves reads 43% and in higher numbers the gap is greater.how do i know which is the most accurate.

Re: spirit hydrometer accuracy ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:14 pm
by Easydrinker
Not wishing to wave a flag here.
Stevenson Reeves: This is what they do, have built a tradeable name around.

I know which one I would trust. ;)

Robert.

Re: spirit hydrometer accuracy ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:26 am
by Curmudgeon
Without offense to the Chinese who make many cheap things that I use most cheerfully, in this case I would choose the Scot's version as 1% below weights and measures would get the landlord lynched.

Re: spirit hydrometer accuracy ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:33 am
by packapoo
Wot the two previous geezers said, ninj.

Re: spirit hydrometer accuracy ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:11 am
by Mash
Buy a refractometer :)


Old Chinese proverb "man with two watches never know what time is."

Re: spirit hydrometer accuracy ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:08 pm
by ninja_geezer
Thanks chaps i was leaning towards the Stevenson jobbie ;D

Re: spirit hydrometer accuracy ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:31 am
by Easydrinker
Old Chinese proverb:
Man walking through airport doorway sideways, going to Bangkok.

Enough silliness.
Buy the best quality that you can afford, and learn it's limitations.

Robert.

Re: spirit hydrometer accuracy ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:34 pm
by ninja_geezer
Easydrinker wrote:Old Chinese proverb:
Man walking through airport doorway sideways, going to Bangkok.

Enough silliness.
Buy the best quality that you can afford, and learn it's limitations.

Robert.

using your recommended one Robert :)