First Whisky

The distillation process itself

First Whisky

Postby Still maturing » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi all,
I'm currently distilling 2nd run of my whisky. Two questions, one, is it too much of a worry if the speed of delivery turns from a steady drip to a steady, fine, run??? And why would this be? I know I'm not looking for neutral and I possibly pick up more flavour with a faster run, but is a trickle to fast? Would I Hrv ran the 2nd run too high a ABV (50%) and it's just the high alcohol content that's running?
I am keeping 100ml cuts so I can check after they settle, but might I need to run the cuts again as mentioned a few times in the forum, or will that clean up my whisky too much???
Sorry for all the questions :)
User avatar
Still maturing
Newcomer
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:12 am
Location: N/E Scotland
Stills: Copper still

Re: First Whisky

Postby Toper » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi Still'

I see you have a small copper still.

When you say you are on your second run, do you mean you have finished your Stripping Runs and are now on your Spirit runs?

As you mention taking 100ml cuts I am assuming that it is the latter.

I'm not sure what you are using as a heat source and how consistent it is.

You mention 50%abv. This cannot be considered high for Fores, Heads or Hearts. If anything, it might be rather on the low side although, you don't say at what point this reading is taken.


I too use a copper still and whilst running it rather hotter during a Stripping Run, here the condenser water temperature governs how fast, when on a Spirit Run I turn down the heat as much as possible, consistent with still producing a distillate. My reasoning being that I want to avoid smearing as much as possible on this final Spirit Run.

Your cuts should have produced what you regard as Fores, Heads, Hearts and Tails. You will decide which cuts fall where.

Those you regard as being Hearts are not re-run. Many simply discard the portion of Fores or, use for cleaning fluid etc.

The cuts you identify as Heads and Tails are usually set aside to be added to the results of your next Stripping Run., so subsequently re-run.
Last edited by Toper on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T
User avatar
Toper
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am
Location: West Yorkshire.
Stills: Copper Pot Still

Re: First Whisky

Postby Still maturing » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:47 pm

Thanks Toper, yes I'm on my spirit run after five x 4.5L strip runs :)
I'm using gas, and I usually keep it as low as possible while still keeping a tiny boil, but couldn't stop it running faster today. I think I can increase temp for my stripping runs then. It takes me about 2 hours to strip??? I never let my condensor water get warm on either run, so maybe room to up the heat when stripping?
You mentioned smearing???
What do you produce mainly?
Thanks
User avatar
Still maturing
Newcomer
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:12 am
Location: N/E Scotland
Stills: Copper still

Re: First Whisky

Postby Toper » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:20 pm

Whilst different elements boil at different temperatures, there is some condensation of these elements both before, during and after such temperature points. Just as water can evaporate and condense long before it reaches its boiling point and will continue, after its boiling point. So there is a smearing across the temperature range. A lower heat setting allows the increasing water content of the pot still to gradually raise the temperature, makes for less smearing and cleaner cuts.

I never let my condenser water get warm though, on a stripping run I try to maximise flow rate without heating the condenser water.

On the Spirit Run I concentrate rather on slowing the flow rate by reducing heating as much as possible whilst still distilling.

I mainly produce whisky but, at present, I am experimenting with a Gin.
T
User avatar
Toper
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am
Location: West Yorkshire.
Stills: Copper Pot Still

Re: First Whisky

Postby Easydrinker » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:22 pm

Reading the OP, if I have it right, you were running stripped wash at 50%?
Then it would run faster than you might expect due to higher wash%, but that may not be a bad thing on a flavoured wash.
You seem to be taking small sized cuts, and so all should come good from this.

I have run silly high % washes, because I could.
These days everything is sub 30%, for a reason.

I just re read your post and realised that all of the above is not a simple answer to your two questions.
So.
1.A higher % alcohol wash, run with a 'regular' cooled condenser will result in a faster take off/flow rate. Pours not drips.
2.If you are aiming for a flavoured wash, whisky or whatever, just re distill the jars that don't make the grade.

If you wish to go into it in more depth, read some of the posts in the various whisky threads and posts on here.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: First Whisky

Postby Still maturing » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks Robert, great help and will go find all I can about whisky on here. Will be back with more questions soon lol >:D
Lee
User avatar
Still maturing
Newcomer
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:12 am
Location: N/E Scotland
Stills: Copper still


Return to Distillation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest