Full reflux
24 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Full reflux
Just got my t500 in full reflux for 30 mins and just wandering what the bet temp to run it at.
The way I see it are:
Option 1
Tap full open, very low temp, this will cause only the most volatile (lowest BP) to be in the colum.
Option 2
Just under the temp that distillate is coming off, this will allow full separation of different volatiles as there will be a temp range in colum.
I'm leaning towards option 2 at the moment, then very slowly come up, this should allow maximum compression of heads.
What's your guys thinking/ opinion on this?
Diverch
The way I see it are:
Option 1
Tap full open, very low temp, this will cause only the most volatile (lowest BP) to be in the colum.
Option 2
Just under the temp that distillate is coming off, this will allow full separation of different volatiles as there will be a temp range in colum.
I'm leaning towards option 2 at the moment, then very slowly come up, this should allow maximum compression of heads.
What's your guys thinking/ opinion on this?
Diverch
-

Diverch - Regular

- Posts: 51
- Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:00 pm
Re: Full reflux
A fair question and one that in recent weeks has been much on my mind ... https://youtu.be/iJfPV7HU1IM
I have read some intense research on this over the years. Some of the best distillers to pass through this forum have tried to answer by using controllers and spreadsheets by measuring temperature, ABV, flow - the works. It read to me like a lot of effort for inconclusive results. Because it was by far the easiest to follow I decided to go with Mr Cats elegant solution and it works a treat for me for all my spirit runs.
It looks just like your option 2.
I manage my input cooling water volume till the output water temperature sits at 40 degrees. I leave it there for about 20 - 30 minutes. No alcohol running out and output cooling temperature stable.
Then I reduce the input cooling so the output temperature rises to 50 degrees. The heads start to flow. I stabilise it at 50 degrees and on a perfect run it just slowly climbs by itself to 65 degrees and by then the run is done.
I have a stable water supply and an in-line control valve that gives me good control over water flow. I couldn't control water pressure this precisely without it.
T500 boiler
10 litres of 40 % pot stripped spirit

I have read some intense research on this over the years. Some of the best distillers to pass through this forum have tried to answer by using controllers and spreadsheets by measuring temperature, ABV, flow - the works. It read to me like a lot of effort for inconclusive results. Because it was by far the easiest to follow I decided to go with Mr Cats elegant solution and it works a treat for me for all my spirit runs.
It looks just like your option 2.
I manage my input cooling water volume till the output water temperature sits at 40 degrees. I leave it there for about 20 - 30 minutes. No alcohol running out and output cooling temperature stable.
Then I reduce the input cooling so the output temperature rises to 50 degrees. The heads start to flow. I stabilise it at 50 degrees and on a perfect run it just slowly climbs by itself to 65 degrees and by then the run is done.
I have a stable water supply and an in-line control valve that gives me good control over water flow. I couldn't control water pressure this precisely without it.
T500 boiler
10 litres of 40 % pot stripped spirit

-

Mr Four Square - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 269
- Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:57 pm
- Location: Wellington New Zealand
- Stills: Pot & T500Reflux
-

packapoo - Master Distiller

- Posts: 690
- Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
- Location: Marton, New Zealand
- Stills: Amphora PDA-1
Re: Full reflux
Water temp here is bloody high, water pressure is comical and so it goes on. I have to work with what I have and water control doesn't make the list. So its irrelevant
What I believe you are asking is how does one arrive at a state of equilibration in the column prior to collecting whatever it is you wish to collect. If done correctly on good equipment, carbon filtering should not be necessary.
Reflux is a process whereby the vapor in your column ascends, is condensed at the top and then descends as a liquid. By repeating this process over and over again, the distillate in the column becomes cleaner and cleaner. When you have reached a state of equilibrium, you can start drawing off the distillate at a very slow pace so as not to effect or destroy the point of equilibrium you have reached.
Everything will also depend on the type of packing you use in the column, the length of your column, cleanliness of column. If you are pulling off a high wine at 95% or 96% ABV, what your wash was like or made from matters little as what you are getting is almost pure ethanol.
And I do all that without the benefit of adjustable water flow.
What I believe you are asking is how does one arrive at a state of equilibration in the column prior to collecting whatever it is you wish to collect. If done correctly on good equipment, carbon filtering should not be necessary.
Reflux is a process whereby the vapor in your column ascends, is condensed at the top and then descends as a liquid. By repeating this process over and over again, the distillate in the column becomes cleaner and cleaner. When you have reached a state of equilibrium, you can start drawing off the distillate at a very slow pace so as not to effect or destroy the point of equilibrium you have reached.
Everything will also depend on the type of packing you use in the column, the length of your column, cleanliness of column. If you are pulling off a high wine at 95% or 96% ABV, what your wash was like or made from matters little as what you are getting is almost pure ethanol.
And I do all that without the benefit of adjustable water flow.
-

RumJohn - Master Distiller

- Posts: 606
- Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 am
- Location: Sanya, China
- Stills: Homegrown
Re: Full reflux
So, how do you do all that? 

-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: Full reflux
To get some idea, if you go to 'General Chat' on this board and look for thread 'Boka from NZ', then click on the video attached you'll maybe better understand.
I seldom take myself seriously....
-

packapoo - Master Distiller

- Posts: 690
- Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
- Location: Marton, New Zealand
- Stills: Amphora PDA-1
Re: Full reflux
I do it with air cooling.
That magic works for me, other practioners have their own methods.
Robert.
That magic works for me, other practioners have their own methods.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Full reflux
I now have the Alan Manning gin still. I am trying to glean info from the t500 that I can apply to my new one.
I'm getting stuck on when to turn on the water and how to apply full reflux. With water flow or heat or both?
On the t500 where does the water flow? What's going through the pipe at the top?
Hopefully, Marc.
I'm getting stuck on when to turn on the water and how to apply full reflux. With water flow or heat or both?
On the t500 where does the water flow? What's going through the pipe at the top?
Hopefully, Marc.
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: Full reflux
I have been running a T599 for 18 months or so,
very much still learning (bad pun).
I let outlet temp rise to about 40 and on with the
water (use an SS regulator), adjust to steady temp
at 45 and hold. Slow drip must be foreshots,on a
full boiler I take off 200ml.This takes 30 mins or
so, then raise temp to 50 and a steady flow. After
4x half ltrs jars up to 55 and collect the rest.
Make cuts the following day.
It may not be correct but it works for me.
I do not have any power controllers etc, so do
all my adjustments by water temp.
very much still learning (bad pun).
I let outlet temp rise to about 40 and on with the
water (use an SS regulator), adjust to steady temp
at 45 and hold. Slow drip must be foreshots,on a
full boiler I take off 200ml.This takes 30 mins or
so, then raise temp to 50 and a steady flow. After
4x half ltrs jars up to 55 and collect the rest.
Make cuts the following day.
It may not be correct but it works for me.
I do not have any power controllers etc, so do
all my adjustments by water temp.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Full reflux
Yup Gaza that’s pretty much exactlly what I do
@Duffer there’s a cooling coil at the top of the column which causes reflux...the top pipe then directs the coolant to the condenser
@Duffer there’s a cooling coil at the top of the column which causes reflux...the top pipe then directs the coolant to the condenser
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: Full reflux
Duffer26 wrote:I now have the Alan Manning gin still. I am trying to glean info from the t500 that I apply...
Help me out here guys, but I don't think you can do this.
Full reflux is for purity.
Your gin still is designed for that - gin - by passing the vapours through the bots and then condensing then. Not reflux.
In my thinking, reflux is a process where height, temp and boil are in balance in the column and create a 'puddle'. You then take you spirit from that 'puddle' and condense it.
I have never run such a still so my knowledge is theoretical.
Or put another way. I think you have a column, not a reflux column.
Last edited by Mash on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: Full reflux
H12rpo wrote:Yup Gaza that’s pretty much exactlly what I do
@Duffer there’s a cooling coil at the top of the column which causes reflux...the top pipe then directs the coolant to the condenser
Oh, so it goes up the condenser, through the tube to a coil...then where?
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: Full reflux
Have you contacted Alan Manning?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Full reflux
Yes.
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
24 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
