Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
15 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
Any views out there whether Glass Alcometer is better/worse/differnt in use from a Refractometer?
Although temperature correction still applies, being able to sample smaller amounts using RF appeals - and glass alcometers need enough liquid to sample (pain when doing multiple cuts).
Thoughts guidance etc. Please accept my apologies if there is an existing thread on this, but couldn't find a relevant post.
Cheers
Although temperature correction still applies, being able to sample smaller amounts using RF appeals - and glass alcometers need enough liquid to sample (pain when doing multiple cuts).
Thoughts guidance etc. Please accept my apologies if there is an existing thread on this, but couldn't find a relevant post.
Cheers
The sun is always over the yardarm somewhere...
-

FinnCo - Newcomer
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:10 pm
- Location: On top of the North Pennines
Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
I'd say use the refractometer for the wash and the alcometer for the distillate.
-

Brewhunter - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 330
- Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:40 pm
- Stills: T500 + Airstill
Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
I am sure that the folk here that favour one will say use it.
Both work, make up your own mind which you prefer.
Robert.
Both work, make up your own mind which you prefer.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
Thanks guys - may just invest in an RF and see how it pans out - I guess horses for courses - Cheers
The sun is always over the yardarm somewhere...
-

FinnCo - Newcomer
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:10 pm
- Location: On top of the North Pennines
Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
RF's don't cost the earth, I have both beer & wine and a spirit one. I also have a set of 3 hydros....I use all of them at different times of making any likker.
There's a very old adage..."ask 10 guys a question, and you will get 11 answers".
There's a very old adage..."ask 10 guys a question, and you will get 11 answers".
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
-

Icefever - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 2407
- Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
- Location: Kingdom of Mercia
Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
Get 2. One for setting up washes. One for spirit. There are 2 different scales that REALLY make your job easy.
First measures sugar, second spirit. Search 'refractometer' for the images, I have posted them a few times now.
First measures sugar, second spirit. Search 'refractometer' for the images, I have posted them a few times now.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
You may find it worthwhile to check the accuracy of both with a fresh commercial source e.g. a newly opened bottle of 40% ABV vodka.
My Stevenson Reeves glass hydrometer was spot on. The refractometer was not, even after careful calibration. Adding to the confusion the same model of refractometer seems to be described as reading ABV or ABW by various sellers, probably because there actually are two different versions available. Mine claimed to read ABW but converting the reading to ABV didn't agree with the hydrometer/legally stated ABV.
I used to work in a national standards lab measuring various liquid properties including density/S.G. at the limits of known accuracy at the time so do retain a little knowledge of how this is all meant to work
.
My Stevenson Reeves glass hydrometer was spot on. The refractometer was not, even after careful calibration. Adding to the confusion the same model of refractometer seems to be described as reading ABV or ABW by various sellers, probably because there actually are two different versions available. Mine claimed to read ABW but converting the reading to ABV didn't agree with the hydrometer/legally stated ABV.
I used to work in a national standards lab measuring various liquid properties including density/S.G. at the limits of known accuracy at the time so do retain a little knowledge of how this is all meant to work
.-

Flump - Newcomer
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:55 pm
Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
Some time ago, I acquired by way of a present, a pair of refractometers. One for measuring sugar content, the other for alcohol content.
These were put to one side as I had nothing underway at the time.
Recently, having started a number of neutral washes, I dug them out to use. Each was tested at the correct temperature, using distilled water. Each returned a correct reading of zero, indicating no further calibration needed.
Whilst the neutrals were fermenting, I took a quantity of whisky which had been ageing on dominoes and, using the refractometer, diluted down to 40% abv.
The fermenting neutrals appeared to have stuck at a Brix reading of 6.5. After prolonged wait, i checked them with a hydrometer, only to find they were at .998
Noting this discrepancy, I went back to my whisky and re-checked with an alcometer. Not the 40%abv that I aimed for, using the refractometer, but 37.5%abv instead. Completely drinkable but a highly inaccurate reading from both refractometers.
Am I doing something wrong?
These were put to one side as I had nothing underway at the time.
Recently, having started a number of neutral washes, I dug them out to use. Each was tested at the correct temperature, using distilled water. Each returned a correct reading of zero, indicating no further calibration needed.
Whilst the neutrals were fermenting, I took a quantity of whisky which had been ageing on dominoes and, using the refractometer, diluted down to 40% abv.
The fermenting neutrals appeared to have stuck at a Brix reading of 6.5. After prolonged wait, i checked them with a hydrometer, only to find they were at .998
Noting this discrepancy, I went back to my whisky and re-checked with an alcometer. Not the 40%abv that I aimed for, using the refractometer, but 37.5%abv instead. Completely drinkable but a highly inaccurate reading from both refractometers.
Am I doing something wrong?
T
-

Toper - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 372
- Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am
- Location: West Yorkshire.
- Stills: Copper Pot Still
Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
Same here, I just find the alcometer more accurate.
Both cheap to buy and have about four alcometers
and several refractometers thanks to xmas.
Sorry Mash used the "x" word again

Both cheap to buy and have about four alcometers
and several refractometers thanks to xmas.
Sorry Mash used the "x" word again

Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
Don't get Mash started on this, he sits firmly on one side of the fence.
I will give him cause to argue that the quality of the refractometer may be an issue.
I sit on the other side of the fence.
I use only Alcometers.
He says Po-ta-to and I say Po-ta-to .......
Robert.
I will give him cause to argue that the quality of the refractometer may be an issue.
I sit on the other side of the fence.
I use only Alcometers.
He says Po-ta-to and I say Po-ta-to .......
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
I'm not yet convinced that it's a matter of one or the other,
Rather, you get what you pay for.
As a life long gardener, a brewer, winemaker and distiller over decades, and a sometime D.I.Y'er,
there are cheap tools and good tools. Hand forks that bend at the first deep rooted weed, drills bits the snap or flatten on first use, chisels which never hold an edge and a variety of power tools which only just outlive their statuary guarantee period..
There is a well known adage: “Look after the pennies, the pounds will look after themselves”.
I tend to prefer: “Penny wise, pound foolish”.
So often, the 'cheapest' option turns out to be the 'dearest' option. How many times have I discarded 'cheap' equipment, as either useless or broken before it's time I dread to think.
For myself, I try to find out what is the very best I can afford from what is available, and then, how cheaply I can get that “exact” item.
An imitation is always simply that, an imitation.
I suppose I am really making a case for a 'Junk Yard Section' where, within the forum, where we post the stuff that we found is is rubbish to buy.
Rather, you get what you pay for.
As a life long gardener, a brewer, winemaker and distiller over decades, and a sometime D.I.Y'er,
there are cheap tools and good tools. Hand forks that bend at the first deep rooted weed, drills bits the snap or flatten on first use, chisels which never hold an edge and a variety of power tools which only just outlive their statuary guarantee period..
There is a well known adage: “Look after the pennies, the pounds will look after themselves”.
I tend to prefer: “Penny wise, pound foolish”.
So often, the 'cheapest' option turns out to be the 'dearest' option. How many times have I discarded 'cheap' equipment, as either useless or broken before it's time I dread to think.
For myself, I try to find out what is the very best I can afford from what is available, and then, how cheaply I can get that “exact” item.
An imitation is always simply that, an imitation.
I suppose I am really making a case for a 'Junk Yard Section' where, within the forum, where we post the stuff that we found is is rubbish to buy.
T
-

Toper - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 372
- Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am
- Location: West Yorkshire.
- Stills: Copper Pot Still
-

Toper - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 372
- Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am
- Location: West Yorkshire.
- Stills: Copper Pot Still
Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
Refractometers are using light for their reading. So clarity is important.
I use them were they are most accurate.
A Brix refractometer for setup and sugar additions.
A hydrometer for "is it done?". Must is very murky and a density reading will be most accurate.
A spirit refractometer - 'cos everything is clear, and the refractometer is quick, clean and easy.
You would bend the finest spoon if you were digging deep rooted weeds with it.
I use them were they are most accurate.
A Brix refractometer for setup and sugar additions.
A hydrometer for "is it done?". Must is very murky and a density reading will be most accurate.
A spirit refractometer - 'cos everything is clear, and the refractometer is quick, clean and easy.
You would bend the finest spoon if you were digging deep rooted weeds with it.

email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
Thanks for that Mash. I did ask if I was doing something wrong (as against the meters being a poor example of that type of equipment).
To recap, for sugar, are you saying that they would measure a straight sugar wash accurately but not a wort or coloured fruit juice as there would be light interference?
Also, for alcohol, they would measure the results of s strip or spirit run accurately, but that ageing on oak, given the colour change would give an inaccurate reading?
Or, have I still got it wrong?
To recap, for sugar, are you saying that they would measure a straight sugar wash accurately but not a wort or coloured fruit juice as there would be light interference?
Also, for alcohol, they would measure the results of s strip or spirit run accurately, but that ageing on oak, given the colour change would give an inaccurate reading?
Or, have I still got it wrong?
T
-

Toper - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 372
- Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am
- Location: West Yorkshire.
- Stills: Copper Pot Still
Re: Glass Alcometer vs. Refractometer
Bang on. For the same reasons they don't work well with wine.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
15 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest