Pickled Eggs
23 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Pickled Eggs
Well the clue is in the title.
have just made a big jar of pickled eggs, 'cos we have a glut at the moment.
Which got me to thinking...instead of vinegar could you use 40% neutral?
have just made a big jar of pickled eggs, 'cos we have a glut at the moment.
Which got me to thinking...instead of vinegar could you use 40% neutral?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Pickled Eggs
Pissed eggs.......I like it
Let us know if it works
How do you have a glut of eggs?m
Let us know if it works
How do you have a glut of eggs?m
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: Pickled Eggs
H12rpo wrote:Pissed eggs.......I like it
Let us know if it works
How do you have a glut of eggs?m
Simples, it is spring and all the chucks are laying lots.
We currently have far more duck eggs than we can eat.
Alcoholic, really pickled eggs, does intrigue me.
Mash, I salute you for thinking outside of the box.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Pickled Eggs
Alcohol will act as a preservative, but you will miss out on the flavour the pickling will impart. Maybe fresh layed taste will appeal to some.
-

RumJohn - Master Distiller

- Posts: 606
- Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 am
- Location: Sanya, China
- Stills: Homegrown
Re: Pickled Eggs
Also made a jar of pickled eggs over the week end.
You cant beat a pickled egg and a good pint of beer.
You cant beat a pickled egg and a good pint of beer.
-

Pyro - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 216
- Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm
- Location: Galloway Hills Scotland
- Stills: Twin Airstills,
Re: Pickled Eggs
Pyro wrote:Also made a jar of pickled eggs over the week end.
You cant beat a pickled egg and a good pint of beer.
Bingo. Everyone should be self sufficient in something mine is beer and pickled eggs
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Pickled Eggs
Duck eggs are awesome......sadly I live in a city. Ducks on the local lake only
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: Pickled Eggs
If it was Apples we would call it scrumping, I admit to accidental egg scrumping of various wild duck and gulls eggs.
To be honest, city lake eggs are off putting, ducks fed on Burger and Subway throw-aways, and let's face it, vomit and other city nastie's do not have the same appeal.
I know our own free range birdies eat all sorts of shit,Dead frogs, Mice ,just about anything.
But I know where this shit originates.
Quite a long way from the nearest city.
#Redneck.
Robert.
To be honest, city lake eggs are off putting, ducks fed on Burger and Subway throw-aways, and let's face it, vomit and other city nastie's do not have the same appeal.
I know our own free range birdies eat all sorts of shit,Dead frogs, Mice ,just about anything.
But I know where this shit originates.
Quite a long way from the nearest city.
#Redneck.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Pickled Eggs
Mash wrote:Well the clue is in the title.
have just made a big jar of pickled eggs, 'cos we have a glut at the moment.
Which got me to thinking...instead of vinegar could you use 40% neutral?
Hi Mash. I must admit a bit of envy, ducks and chickens are on my to do list when I retire.
You can cook eggs with alcohol and no heat so I am not sure about the long term storage idea. The alcohol would probably get through the shell and solidify the white.
-

Myles - Master Distiller

- Posts: 692
- Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm
Re: Pickled Eggs
Whilst I am not that keen on it myself another option is eggnog. It has been demonstrated that the alcohol will render the mixture sterile over time.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2013/12/20/why-aged-eggnog-made-with-raw-eggs-is-safer-than-drinking-it-fresh/#71f9ecba2e16
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2013/12/20/why-aged-eggnog-made-with-raw-eggs-is-safer-than-drinking-it-fresh/#71f9ecba2e16
-

Myles - Master Distiller

- Posts: 692
- Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm
Re: Pickled Eggs
Eggnog, sounds like my next progect. Always have plenty of eggs as I have a light in the chicken house.
-

Pyro - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 216
- Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm
- Location: Galloway Hills Scotland
- Stills: Twin Airstills,
Re: Pickled Eggs
I like the idea of eggnog. There is one that is like a butter, but I failed to replicate it. Gorgeous!
There is thread around here somewhere...
There is thread around here somewhere...
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Pickled Eggs
Myles wrote:
Hi Mash. I must admit a bit of envy, ducks and chickens are on my to do list when I retire.
Ducks are good eating, but poor layers and very very dirty animals. Find the slightest puddle and then stamp around in it till they make a swamp. Have done ducks, wouldn't do again.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Pickled Eggs
pissed eggs +1
-

Jaggie - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 110
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:07 pm
- Location: Northumberland
- Stills: T500
Re: Pickled Eggs
The wife prefers the duck eggs for baking. They make better cakes.
-

Myles - Master Distiller

- Posts: 692
- Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm
23 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest