Page 1 of 1
Apple juice

Posted:
Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:57 pm
by Skozzy
Hi, got 10 litres of pure apple juice on the go, was going to make wine out of it, but could I run it through the still, it's been in the bucket now for 1 week.
Re: Apple juice

Posted:
Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:21 am
by Pinhead
You should get somthing like calvados off if you run in pot still mode assuming reflux or t500
Re: Apple juice

Posted:
Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:04 pm
by Skozzy
Thanks for your reply, I have a smart still, will give it a go. Will leave for another week to ferment
Re: Apple juice

Posted:
Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:25 pm
by metalmickey
you'll have to disgard more of the foreshots due to increased pectin levels in the wash. What was the starting gravity or more importantly whats the expected ABV?
Re: Apple juice

Posted:
Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:51 am
by Skozzy
Oops didn't check starting Gravity, just checked now, it's showing just above 1.000, will leave for a bit longer. Do I bin the first 50ml collected, thanks
Re: Apple juice

Posted:
Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:11 pm
by metalmickey
well if its at 1.000 then the ferment it complete--ish. It may go a bit lower.
Id toss a bit more of every wash, say the first 100mm. Its probly overcautous but what the hell, beats a bad headache.
MM
Re: Apple juice

Posted:
Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:09 pm
by Skozzy
Not impressed with the smell or taste, if I was to distill again, would it improve? >:(
Re: Apple juice

Posted:
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:03 am
by Jimmy
Should do, what strength is it? Each time you distill you'll lose some flavour but hopefully mostly bad flavour! With non-neutral spirits like brandy, whiskey, etc half the taste is in the wash and the cuts, and half is in how they are later aged. A bit like wine really, don't necessarily write something off just yet, might improve dramatically if aged with some oak chips.
Re: Apple juice

Posted:
Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:13 pm
by Capt-Cudellez
The gaffer has some good advice there,
I've recently started pot stilling whiskey and rum. I need to oak for a couple of months before the stuff is good.
Also you do need to make cuts, some late heads and early tails make my rum taste like rum, but it takes ages to smooth out.
I have some 8 month old stuff that i ran through the T500 quite quickly pulling 92%ish, its really turned into something good in the last month or so, so glad I saved it.
Haven't quite got the hang of doing whiskey yet, to me it all tastes quite unappealing straight out the still, I have some 1 month old stuff that is tasting quite promising - but I think i cut too narrow and it may smooth out to being too bland in the long run.
All of this is totally different game to running neutral, and its like starting from scratch for me, having fun though.
Re: Apple juice

Posted:
Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:52 pm
by Jimmy
Cheers for the input as always Capt - I love that you're pushing things on a bit so I can wait and copy you later!

Think I'm right in saying that you're not even allowed to call it whiskey until it's 2 years old, or something like that?
Re: Apple juice

Posted:
Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:36 pm
by Skozzy
Many thanks for your help, I'm very new to this. It came out at 38 proof, so will take your advice. Going to have a go soon with the tomato puree wash, should be fun!!
