Page 2 of 3

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:13 am
by Maker
I'm still working up to the deed rather than 'dead'... I pointed it out of my workshop door, straddled it like a cowboy and gave it a fair whack with a blunt drift, a few times, no joy so far, bigger hammer is needed, I will report back when I have it open with a picture.
I spoke with a chap who worked in a pub and he said he would be suprised if the cider was still any good, I am still full of hope at this point, if it turns out to be 'questionable' I will of course offer it to the wife so it is not wasted, although she might be.

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:32 am
by Mash
Not hard - here you go. Stop whacking it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XglWWvIe9js

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:01 am
by Mash
As long as it isn't vinegar it's still-able :)

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:02 am
by H12rpo
Well I’ve vented all the gas (an amazing amount by simply depressing the black ring. I’ll need to get a lend of some adjustable wrench big enough now and I’ll be sorted

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:15 am
by Mash
Stilsons or a filter wrench might work.

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:58 pm
by Easydrinker
I thought that vinegar was stillable.
Some of my best red vinegar is high %.
Just use it as a wash and not a still cleaner.
It may need some serious cuts ;)


Robert.

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:27 pm
by Maker
So to release the pressure you just poke the rubber seal with a screwdriver, then follow the video as posted, easy peasy, when you know how.

Image

The free booze, now released was keenly sampled.
Cloudy, floaty bits and not as expected, I drank a pint (after filtering) to be sure but not an enjoyable drink so I'll add it to the next run.

Image

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:50 pm
by H12rpo
Ive managed to get the spear out with the spring and all, but the bastardy bloody tri top will not unscrew, and I have the same stillsons as you.
Get the hot spanner on it tomorrow I reckon

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 am
by Maker
I know whats going wrong, make sure your stilsons are only grabbing the tri top, the ferrule below is the same size in places so you can grab both, I have chewed my ferrule a little.
The tri top has very little resistance when you get it just right, it's just the pinch of the rubber seal.

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:11 am
by H12rpo
Rubber seal is out as is the spring and the spear .
I know what your saying though ill check that tomorrow when I’m less pissed

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:19 pm
by H12rpo
Nope it ain’t moving. Had the heat on it today to..... I’ve really given it some stick with the stilsons. But nothing! It’s got me thinking there’s something else locking it ....weird
Image

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:25 am
by Mash
Di you Watch the YouTube link above.

I don't think it needs mechanical force, there is a interlock inside on the spear. Has that released?

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:25 pm
by H12rpo
The spear is out

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:57 pm
by Maker
There is no other locking mech on mine just screwed in with a rubber seal at the bottom, maybe the seal had failed on yours and it's just locked up due to something beery getting in the threads.

More heat and put a scaffold bar on the end of your stilsons, put another bar through the handle so the barrel wont spin on the floor.

If that fails I guess you should buy another barrel or have a new ferrule welded on the one you have, a bigger one.

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:57 pm
by Mash
If the spear is out, the pressure is out. Cut it out.

Then weld on a 4" tri-clamp adaptor. Bingo.