Megahome water distiller modification

A place for general discussion

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby digitalisman99 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:13 am

I'm sure it's been posted somewhere, but I can't find it. I was given a Megahome water distiller today and I'd like to know what modifications I need to make. I can modify the heater wattage with a variac and can rewire the fan so it can run at 120 V. I also know about putting the solder on the chlorine hole. I've read something about modifying the input and the output of the condensor to eliminate plastic parts and I'd like to know how to do that. Also, I was wondering if I rigged a box to cool the surrounding air if that would help. This is my first attempt. Beer, wine and kick ass cider I've made before, but I'd like to take it one step further. Thanks so much [Yank by birth, Gooner by choice.]
User avatar
digitalisman99
Newcomer
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:05 am
Location: US

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby blackmoor » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:21 pm

I too am very intrested in this. I purchased MH 943 water distiller. This is from homedistiller forum:
\"I have one of these, and know of others who also have one.
The one I have is NOT the easy still. I paid only $99 for mine, and it is exactly the same as what they start out for the ES. On the ES, they put in a heater that is about 1/2 the size of what I have. I find the heater in the original model to be just fine, not sure why they scaled that down. Also, the ES is about 3x the price I paid, and for little more :)
The still is fully stainless vapor path, UNTIL the end of the condenser. Then the warm distillate is dumped into this plastic cup like thing, that has a output hole on the bottom. That is what you would hook up the carbon filter canister, and the collection jug to.
I ripped this plastic nose end off the distiller, took a 1/4\" copper tube, and flared the end, so I could shove it tightly to the end of the condenser, and run this tube down to a 1 gallon glass jug. That is how I made my distiller work, getting all of the plastic out of the way. Also, (if using a model \'other\' than the modified ES), you have to take apart the top (where the fan and condenser are), and put a daub of solder over the chlorine vent hole on the condenser (not sure all models are setup that way, but mine was).\"
Some other post from this poster revealed that the distiller which he uses is in fact megahome. So there are the mods, at least according to him.
But I am worried about the heater, that it is too powerfull. I was thinking about using a clockon electric plug,, like in car heaters. set it up like 2 or 3 minutes on, 1 minute off. and keep doing that. Or like in my other post, i found a wattage controller, which could be plugged between the heater and mains. But both of these ideas depend on that you can run the fan on allways, even if the clocktimer cuts power to the heater.
My distiller should arrive today. I will be trying a 30% liquer first.
User avatar
blackmoor
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Finland

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby digitalisman99 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:14 pm

I have the electrics figured out. The heater I have is 565 watts. The modified version has a heater of 320 watts. At 565 watts and a voltage of 120 volts it works out that the heater has a resistance of approx 25.48 ohms. When you do the math, you get a result that says for 320 watts you need about 90 volts input. I\'m just going to get a variac, well actually I\'m going to use a variable speed controller for a drill and dial in my output voltage at 90 volts.

When I do this, I\'m going to have to have a separate feed for the fan. I don\'t know what kind of connector that it has, but I\'m going to rig up something that it can plug into that will give it 120Volts. I think if you go with a heater that turns on and off, you\'re not going to get the steady output that you need. To me, a variac would be the way to go. Hope that helps.
User avatar
digitalisman99
Newcomer
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:05 am
Location: US

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby blackmoor » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:02 pm

What do you think about the wattage selector idea? I live in europe, here we have 230 voltage.
I have an old floor lamp that has like volume control knob box which reads 50w-300W. So if i put that between the heater and mains and put the wat selector to max, it should put 300 wats to the heater...
Edit:
just found this site:

http://wellingtonwaterfilters.co.nz/distillers.htm
on the second tab on the lower part of the page it says:
MEGAHOME MH934 FEATURES:
Distillation - Each drop of water produced is pure. Taste the difference! Experience the benefits!

Attractive Modern Design - Small and exquisite. Easy handling. Stylish.

4 litre Stainless Steel Inner Boiling Chamber - Strong and durable. Easy cleaning.

High Rotation Motor - Quick cooling. Works 24 hours a day.

Heater - Formed in one piece for a longer service life.

Temperature Control Switch - High precision temperature control with an automatic cut-off feature.

Automatic switch off at the end of the Distillation process - Allows unattended distillation.

Less Parts - Saves unnecessary cost and provides greater reliability.

Activated Carbon Filter Layer - Removes any residual chemicals and improves the taste.

No Installation Required - Just plug it in!

Produces 4 litres every 5 to 6 hours ( depending on temperature of the water at start up.)

Only 580 watts Power use ( Approx 60 cents per 4 litres to operate).

Quiet Operation.

Conforms to NZ Electrical Standards.

Choice of either an attractive Cream or Stainless Steel Body.

Internal Construction all Stainless Steel - Water does not contact plastic components within the distiller.
so it should have temperature control? does that mean it can be adjustable...
User avatar
blackmoor
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Finland

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby digitalisman99 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:24 pm

If you bought the one with the adjustable temperature then it should be adjustable. The one I\'m getting is constant temp. As to the lamp thingee, Just do the calculations to see if it works: Watts = (Voltage)^2 / Resistance. Use the Equation at your given voltage to figure the heater resistance and then figure it backwards to find the voltage that gives you 320 watts, but, as I said, if you have an adjustable temp. I would imagine that you\'re all set. good luck
User avatar
digitalisman99
Newcomer
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:05 am
Location: US

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby maverick50 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:50 pm

This still has Soooooooo many differnt names, the one I have is the still spirits turbo still, not sure why you want to go to all the trouble of mods though, works fine as is. Makes good distilled water and even better spirits.

If you only have 120v mains supply and the still needs a 220v supply, buy a step up transformer, job done.
User avatar
maverick50
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: UK

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby digitalisman99 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Can\'t help it, I\'m a born tinker. That\'s the fun of it for me.
User avatar
digitalisman99
Newcomer
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:05 am
Location: US

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby maverick50 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:05 pm

If it aint broke dont fix it!!!!
User avatar
maverick50
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: UK

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby blackmoor » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:10 pm

my megahome just came. I tried with water, works like charm. then I tore it apart.
The "Chlorine vent"...hmm well if you call a millimeter hole in the cooler right of the pot a VENT then...put a little solder on it.
Then tore the nose apart, so just the end of the cooler is visible from the nose.
The fan works without the bottom. just plug the fan directly in the mains.
I have a killAwatt type thing that measures volts, Amperes, watts, etc. I made the adjustable controller for watts from the foot lamp. I modified it, so that it has the same connector as the MH and. plugged the killawat to mains with my watts adjuster. At full killAwatt said 540 watts. so i adjusted it to show 320 watts. now just waiting for the dripping to start :D
BTW how much heads should i throw away?
EDIT: dripping just started :D:D:D
User avatar
blackmoor
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Finland

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby maverick50 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:16 pm

I\'m only new to this but all the advise I got was to throw away the first 50mm, although I have now reduced that to 30mm
User avatar
maverick50
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: UK

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby digitalisman99 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:29 pm

NICE!!!!!
User avatar
digitalisman99
Newcomer
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:05 am
Location: US

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby blackmoor » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:43 pm

So I hva distilled A half liter bottle of ANIS spirits which my father bought me as a gift. How I hate anis.
I have basic wash coming up, (22 liters of water, seven kg sugar and turbo yeast, cant remember the make of it though) If i distil that like this:
3,5 liter/ set. 50 ml heads gone, 800ML hearts taken away, 500 ML tails with next batch and so on until everything has gone though. If I then add half as much water to the distilled product and distill it all again, I don\'t have to throw heads away? How much can I salvage from the second distillation/set? and above all, Must I use active charcoal? If I ust, How to make one? And how much is needed/batch?
User avatar
blackmoor
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Finland

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby maverick50 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:59 pm

dont take my advice as gospel as I have only recently started, however I can tell you what I have done.
Firstly 7 kg sugar seems a little high (6kg would be better), you may push your yeast a little to far and max it out leaving some sugar in the wash, also if it does ferment down to 990/980 because you have pushed your yeast to the max you may end up with some off flavours in you spirit.
With regards double distill as you have taken the forshots out on your first run you dont need to do it again. I just redistilled 2 litres of spirit @ 40% added 1 liter of water and then tested the strengh every 100ml once the total volume ended up at 60% I stoped, I did take a further 250ml to put back in with my next wash, I ended up with 1.5 litres @ 40% after cutting it down. Yes I did loose 500ml put the quality was so much better.

With regards filtering, go to you local HBS and you should be able to purchase a carbon filter, or you can make one out of a funnel, put a cone coffee filter in it 1/3 fill with active carbon (rince carbon first)and poor spirit in, kep topping up till all gone.

You wont be disapointed.

I wont bother will double distilling again as I flavour mine with ss flavours and it taste very good indeed.
Hope this helps
User avatar
maverick50
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: UK

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby blackmoor » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:51 pm

So youre suggesting that I don\'t make the filter like this:
Funnel attached to a 3 cm diameter 1 meter tube, which is filled with charcoal. at the end of the tube is a coffee filter wrapped around the tube, so charcoal wont come out of the tube this design is from the swedish book about distilling, here is the link:

http://translate.google.com/translate?p ... ry_state0=
I used google translator for your convenience, Original site is in Finnish :)
I was thinking of your system, and it seems like I could use moccamaster glass jar which has the coffee funnel on top. put filter paper in it and charcoal and pour it through. That would work? And filter the spirits of bad taste and odor?
How much spirits can i run if the funnel is 3/4 full of coal before I have to change the coal? And can I run filtered spirits again through the same coal, or should I change it everytime?
Thanx :)
User avatar
blackmoor
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Finland

Megahome water distiller modification

Postby maverick50 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:25 pm

As I said I\'m far from an expert.

Looking at your desighn I\'m sure it would work, have a look on the other site and search the post\'s on filtering. http://homedistiller.org/forum/

You may find better answers to your questions there, just be aware they are not air still fans!!!!.
I would of thought that you should be able to but a couple of litres through that filter at 40%. After that you will need to replace, alhough if you look on the other site they do talk about boiling the carbon and drying it out in the oven to use again, however it will only be 80% efficient
You refer to charcoal, make sure you have the correct stuff for spirits filtering.
Apparently if you make a birdwatchers wash it doesn\'t need filtering, got one on the go at the moment, will let you know how it goes
User avatar
maverick50
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: UK

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Easydrinker and 1 guest

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: Easydrinker and 1 guest