Page 1 of 1

What is the best water to use - RO,Spring,Distilled or Tap?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:14 pm
by Mash
Ted raised this question in the welcome section and I think it a good 'un.


Ted wrote:Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, to achieve the 0ppm purity it's de-ionised RO water. I guess there's two parts to me question:

Firstly is there a 'scientific' reason why I shouldn't even consider using the RO water? For example, because it's de-ionised the RO water is more reactive than distilled water.

Secondly and purely on the basis of the taste of the final product am I simply better going with either distilled or spring water?


So is RO, distilled, Bottled Spring or tap water best ?

Re: What is the best water to use - RO,Spring,Distilled or T

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:14 pm
by packapoo
Best refer to Robert's edict....There is no one way to do this thing... ;)

Re: What is the best water to use - RO,Spring,Distilled or T

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:34 pm
by Ted
Did some more research on RO/DI water. Due to its reactive nature there are various warnings that it may corrode stainless steel. Doesn't sound like good news for an air still.

I knew that RO/DI is reactive - as my final aim is to produce gin I was thinking that being reactive might assist in taking on flavours.

The question still stands though - RO, distilled or spring water for dilutions?

Re: What is the best water to use - RO,Spring,Distilled or T

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:56 pm
by Easydrinker
My recommendation, for what it is worth.
Use tap water for your wash, and any form of better water for diluting spirit.
I favour bottled spring water.
It works for me.

Robert.

Re: What is the best water to use - RO,Spring,Distilled or T

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:49 am
by Ted
Thanks Robert - much appreciated

Re: What is the best water to use - RO,Spring,Distilled or T

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:59 pm
by Easydrinker
I did forget to say that if running through an Essencia filter, then I dilute neutral spirit with tap water, I believe anything better to be a waste.
I will tip my hat in Phantoms direction here, I know that he does differently, and I do not wish to start an arguement.
There are more ways than one! :)

Robert.