Page 1 of 1

Discoloured vodka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:11 pm
by Admiral Toad
I thought I'd got the neutral sugar wash ie pretend vodka Sussed
My vodka drinking pals think my stripped then double reflux then filtered is great ie tastes of nowt
So far so good
Now one of them wants 12 bottles (party ?) i'll see what I can do sez I
Found a couple of bottles made up a while back to make up the dozen but notice a yellowish tinge
What the he'll is it ?
I've had White floaters before ie calcium carbonate hard water etc but this is a bit odd
any ideas ? ???

Re: Discoloured vodka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:24 am
by chill
Rust from the lid? Something leeching out of the lid? I can't think of anything else that would make vodka take on a colour.

Chuck

Re: Discoloured vodka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:20 am
by YHB
How long is "a while back" perhaps its always been that colour but in those days you were not so critical.

I had one with a yellowish tinge on the strip run from a small puke.

Re: Discoloured vodka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:03 pm
by Admiral Toad
I think chills touched on the answer I think it's the plastic topped push in corks that's doing it
Same age in a screw top litre bottle is fine but the couple on the rack or shaking around in car boot are tainted whereas the one in the drinks cupboard is ok too
Filter paper seems to solve it ;)
But another lesson learned

Re: Discoloured vodka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:30 pm
by Jimmy
Admiral Toad wrote:...shaking around in car boot


Admiral's Finest - anytime, anyplace, anywhere, lol

Re: Discoloured vodka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 pm
by YHB
So that's what they mean when they say "that vintage does not travel well"

Re: Discoloured vodka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 pm
by Almanac
Vodka usually only get discoloured when it's put through a human filter :D :D :D

AM 8)

Re: Discoloured vodka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am
by Admiral Toad
Now stop pissing about lads. Lol. ;D :D ;D :D