Copper saddles

A place for general discussion

Re: Copper saddles

Postby H12rpo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:42 am

Cleaning the boil ceramic tooth shaped things are more difficult. I’ve tried citric and vinegar and got nowhere. Anyone have a clue?
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: Copper saddles

Postby Leatherman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 am

Every few runs I take all saddles. Separate cupper from stainless steel ones. And soak them in cola with squized lemon over night. The give them a good wash and put them back in. Works well for me.
User avatar
Leatherman
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Re: Copper saddles

Postby Brewhunter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:58 am

H12rpo wrote:Cleaning the boil ceramic tooth shaped things are more difficult. I’ve tried citric and vinegar and got nowhere. Anyone have a clue?


Use them until discoloured then replace.
User avatar
Brewhunter
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:40 pm
Stills: T500 + Airstill

Re: Copper saddles

Postby Mash » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:36 pm

I use citric acid - did wonder if the industrial whisky boys do their copper or just replace then when they wear out?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Copper saddles

Postby Easydrinker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Citric Acid is fairly inexpensive bought on-line, in quantity: I buy around 5Kg every year or so.
It keeps all my copper bits and pieces clean.
I soak boil pieces in it, I dissolve in water and pour through my column and condenser.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Copper saddles

Postby packapoo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:31 pm

Storing ceramics in a jar of foreshots works for me.....
I seldom take myself seriously....
User avatar
packapoo
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
Location: Marton, New Zealand
Stills: Amphora PDA-1

Re: Copper saddles

Postby Robbo12 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:41 pm

I've ordered some citric acid and gonna clean the column too i don't want my next wash to be tasting chemicaly again i want a good clean wash and produce a natural wash.
User avatar
Robbo12
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:51 pm
Location: North West England
Stills: T500/ Airstill

Re: Copper saddles

Postby Mash » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:36 am

If you want to clean the still run it with a water/vinegar mix.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Copper saddles

Postby Easydrinker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:16 pm

That works, but can make your eyes water ;D
Then you need to run again with just water.
Or I do. :)

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Previous

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest