Moved posts
7 posts
• Page 1 of 1
new t500 owner looking for 1st run peer review.
I'd better shut up as Robert's answers amuse me more than my answers amuse me.
I am very amateur but enjoy the chat (craic as we say here).
I do not presume to know very much at all.
I am very amateur but enjoy the chat (craic as we say here).
I do not presume to know very much at all.
-

Curmudgeon - Master Distiller

- Posts: 521
- Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
- Stills: pot head
Re: new t500 owner looking for 1st run peer review.
I believe that one of the reasons that this site chuggs quietly along is the craic.
Long term members drop by time to time, offer advice where they can, chew the fat a little, sometimes talk rubbish.
Mostly a friendly place to be.
Robert.
Long term members drop by time to time, offer advice where they can, chew the fat a little, sometimes talk rubbish.
Mostly a friendly place to be.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Moved posts
Easydrinker wrote:Glad that this site is proving helpful.
Well I don't get here as often as I'd like but same sentiment as Robert.........
I'm certainly not adventurous like many hereabouts, but my neutral is good, clean and smooth. I'm happy with using flavour essences. Sure it's not "proper" anything, but I learned about all the faff that we have to go through to mimic something.
And to be honest, (after having to do a lot of digging around for other stuff I do) I can't be arsed.
I will get my home build done eventually, like I'll get the new water supply sorted for my T500 - but I'm not in a rush, as my smart still does enough for what I want.........
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: Moved posts
[quote="Phantom"
I'm certainly not adventurous like many hereabouts, but my neutral is good, clean and smooth. I'm happy with using flavour essences. Sure it's not "proper" anything, but I learned about all the faff that we have to go through to mimic something.
And to be honest, (after having to do a lot of digging around for other stuff I do) I can't be arsed.
[/quote]
I can only agree with you Phantom.
I don't mind putting effort into making a Malt whisky or a gin.
Last night I made Ouzo, Dark Rum, White Rum and Malibubu, all from essences and all OK if you have a decent base neutral.
I currently don't have the time to make all of the spirits that I like from raw ingredients, I have tried faff, and learned a few shortcuts.
Time served can be time well spent.
Robert.
I'm certainly not adventurous like many hereabouts, but my neutral is good, clean and smooth. I'm happy with using flavour essences. Sure it's not "proper" anything, but I learned about all the faff that we have to go through to mimic something.
And to be honest, (after having to do a lot of digging around for other stuff I do) I can't be arsed.
[/quote]
I can only agree with you Phantom.
I don't mind putting effort into making a Malt whisky or a gin.
Last night I made Ouzo, Dark Rum, White Rum and Malibubu, all from essences and all OK if you have a decent base neutral.
I currently don't have the time to make all of the spirits that I like from raw ingredients, I have tried faff, and learned a few shortcuts.
Time served can be time well spent.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Moved posts
Easydrinker wrote:
I can only agree with you Phantom.
I don't mind putting effort into making a Malt whisky or a gin.
Last night I made Ouzo, Dark Rum, White Rum and Malibubu, all from essences and all OK if you have a decent base neutral.
I currently don't have the time to make all of the spirits that I like from raw ingredients, I have tried faff, and learned a few shortcuts.
Time served can be time well spent.![]()
Robert.
See, I don't get the time to do proper tests (not that I've got the space and much of the kit either), experiments etc to see how close I can get to the original thing. So having got my neutral well and truly sussed out, it's so much less hassle to make neutral and essence flavour it.
I don't mind digging around for the best tasting essence (to me anyway). Generally I like the classic range ones from SS, but there's many of the Prestige/Ambrosia ones that have been good as well. Don't know anywhere that stocks the Essencia ones, but I've got some mail order and they've generally been acceptable as well........
Don't keep any stock of made up/ready to drink ones, I just mix them as necessary for that weeks drinking

-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
7 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest