Page 1 of 1

Looking for good quality SS/Cu pan scrubbers/scourers...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:44 pm
by rakfa
Greetings to all,

...and many thanks for all the time and effort put into this site. :) :) :)

After some encouraging results with 200 litres of cold fermented plums and a home build pot still last autumn, I really want to get further into this fascinating hobby.

I'm looking to do a Boka build this year but can't seem to locate any non-magnetic pot scrubbers.

Anyone got any favourite brands/types to recommend?

TIA,

rakfa
Image

Re: Looking for good quality SS/Cu pan scrubbers/scourers...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:28 am
by Almanac
Where I am SS scrubbers are readily available but copper ones are always copper plated and not suitable for use in a still.

What part of the world do you live in Rakfa?

AM 8)

Re: Looking for good quality SS/Cu pan scrubbers/scourers...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:11 pm
by John51
Not that I've used it yet but I ordered a pound of structured packing from the Amphora Society. Seems they have the copper packing made to their specs.

A bit pricey, cost me £20 inc delivery but I was thinking, hey the product comes out cheap enough so why not get the best packing. Wish I'd ordered 2 lbs now as my build will have a 5 foot column and 1lb is good for 3 foot in a 2 inch column.

Re: Looking for good quality SS/Cu pan scrubbers/scourers...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:20 pm
by rakfa
Yes, all the cheap supermarket copper ones I've seen have been plated :(

Looks like I'll have to go for SS type. But if they are attracted to a magnet does it mean it's not 100% SS? (Was of the understanding that true SS is non magnetic)

I'm visiting the UK at the moment but spend most of my time in Eastern Europe- where the authorites are a little more relaxed in their attitude towards home distilling... :)

That mesh available from the Amphora society also looks interesting...perhaps I'll have a go at stripping some old telephone wire and get the knitting needles out! :D

rakfa