old Bri's
29 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
old Bri's
Hello all,
sorry if this thread is in the wrong section.
for all its been about 4 years since I last distil using a tiny gas pot still, there's been a major improvements since then...and unfortunaly for me my memory was lost due to illness.
all said n done, I'm slowly getting the knowledge back (slowly and have use notes)
so.....what have got!(apart from cartoons in my head lol)
a old small pot still that got from the USA...don't know the shape of it after 4 years lol, and its hidden 300 mile away.
got all the items to do a wash/fermentation.
a MkII grainfather & a parrot.
n that it so far.
I could settle for getting the small still back and get hands on again....try n get a maker to build me a pot still (I cant DIY due to physical disability's..even though I try anything!)
one thing I have is the patience, time to research...n not let my so called 'Learning diffuctly' get in the way
Hopeu can understand me...I have too about an hour typing this! and the auto correct function is my best friend Ha! ha!
ill stop my woffle...
and start with the obvious question buying a pot still in the UK! I know the legal aspects and not knowing me....be a shut door sometime...if u know what I'm sayin
looking fwd to updates in due course.
thanks for viewing.
Bri
sorry if this thread is in the wrong section.
for all its been about 4 years since I last distil using a tiny gas pot still, there's been a major improvements since then...and unfortunaly for me my memory was lost due to illness.
all said n done, I'm slowly getting the knowledge back (slowly and have use notes)
so.....what have got!(apart from cartoons in my head lol)
a old small pot still that got from the USA...don't know the shape of it after 4 years lol, and its hidden 300 mile away.
got all the items to do a wash/fermentation.
a MkII grainfather & a parrot.
n that it so far.
I could settle for getting the small still back and get hands on again....try n get a maker to build me a pot still (I cant DIY due to physical disability's..even though I try anything!)
one thing I have is the patience, time to research...n not let my so called 'Learning diffuctly' get in the way
Hopeu can understand me...I have too about an hour typing this! and the auto correct function is my best friend Ha! ha!
ill stop my woffle...
and start with the obvious question buying a pot still in the UK! I know the legal aspects and not knowing me....be a shut door sometime...if u know what I'm sayin
looking fwd to updates in due course.
thanks for viewing.
Bri
-

old bri - Regular

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:38 pm
Re: old Bri's
Hi Bri.
Stilling in legal in many countries. However the UK is not one of they. My understanding is, it is legal to own BUT it is illegal to use.
Stilling in legal in many countries. However the UK is not one of they. My understanding is, it is legal to own BUT it is illegal to use.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: old Bri's
Mash wrote:Hi Bri.
Stilling in legal in many countries. However the UK is not one of they. My understanding is, it is legal to own BUT it is illegal to use.
thank for response.
yeahh!been looking at the legalities.
just thinking getting a reputable maker that would build one for me.
the forum is good for word of mouth, and better that taking the chance elsewhere, if you know what I mean.
as I said, unfortually DIY is out of my grasp,let alone the safely aspect for me...be too scared lol.
thx
bri
-

old bri - Regular

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:38 pm
Re: old Bri's
Why make one - how big are you planning?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: old Bri's
Mash wrote:Why make one - how big are you planning?
hi pal,
was waiting for that question lol!
not that stuggle with my good arm and my duff arm that has about 15% mobility....its more safety and crap myself everytime I would use it....
wouldt say it impossible...at the mo looking at a 50l brewbuilder fermentation FV...and taking it further if I'm on the right track!!
thinking in time adding the 30l for a thumper.
is this a feasible option, or I'm barking at the wrong tree?
any help be appreciated.
bri
-

old bri - Regular

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:38 pm
Re: old Bri's
I am not you man for big stills, so I will leave that to others.
The question in my mind is how much do you realistically want to make?
The question in my mind is how much do you realistically want to make?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: old Bri's
Mash wrote:I am not you man for big stills, so I will leave that to others.
The question in my mind is how much do you realistically want to make?
M8 it's like any hobby...if I get a small still be a matter of time wishing I got a larger still n so in!
If I stick to 30l or smaller it might make sence....the larger the amount to distil at any one time vs time etc.
But I can make small or big runs in a larger pot still...all about size lol so they say!
Hope I'm making sence...ok it'll be crazy wanting a 100l still lol I was thinking 30l is fare for me...
Bri
-

old bri - Regular

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:38 pm
Re: old Bri's
I think you could have a great time with T500.
If you want to move up, they hold their money. But you can learn on something we can discuss with you.
If you build a big thumper doodah you might find you are on your own with it.
If you want to move up, they hold their money. But you can learn on something we can discuss with you.
If you build a big thumper doodah you might find you are on your own with it.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: old Bri's
+1 with Mash here, If you need more spirit for personal use at this stage than a T500 spits out then you have a serious problem!
Walk before you learn to run.
Robert.
Walk before you learn to run.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: old Bri's
Hi guys
As it's been months n months n still not made a decision on anything...it's is truly walk before I run!! (Mind I can't run let alone walk properly lol..sick personal joke!)
The factor is I'm bouncing all these ideas but not putting them in place...isn't it how you fathom things by asking questions.
I really apreciate the advice, and armed with what I have attained knowledge wise it's all putting the pieces together..
What still I want to start with, how big volume it is, gas or electric, how confidate I am, and all the factor associated.
One thing is certain...in my tiny battered brain says I want a managble still..so prob small as I've disgussed..ease of operation!...safety aspects paramount.
This leads me to walk befor I can run..
Good to to think 'big' and thinking of the overall future..
As you can imagine I'm patient and slow, never jumping in til I fathom what I actually want to achieve...that is simply learn the still I have found, it's operation in all the fine details..stipping run, spirit run, etc.
Putting what I've learnt into good use...notes after notes starting with the what wash I want, how I can guage the% abv...volume of distil to do..as you say it's just a guide.
Above sea level n all that calculations come into play..
But not looking at any temps gauges as a crutch...normally knowing the still...by sound, heat, smell taste etc I'll learn what's what!
Following the guide of small jars, and throwing away nastys..
This is the most enjoyable time....I can read up til end of time..it's using the new knowlege n putting into practice...learn as much as I can..
Questions after questions...
Ok there's a lot of confusion in different ways to do things from personal views..but there all saying the same thing eventually..take the bull by the horns..get hands on...see how the still gets on...fathom out any probs..get the answers...adjust the problems for the next time..knowlege is power so they say!
For all I seem I'm going the wrong way about things lol actually I'm not...just voicing my probs and not actually putting them into action..
Tbh it will be a long time coming til I take the plunge to get a still setup (apart from old small still of course!)
In the mean time...listen you expresiance from yous...and fathom the way ahead!! :-)
Making mistakes in this hobby I have actually be using the kit! Lol not months of reading and talking a good distil run!
Slow as usual...snail not the hare...
Tbh without your help n guidance, we can all ignore and just buy anything old crap...and make mistakes...but for me mistakes arnt isn't my game...big nuff and hard nuff to value help and act on it..
Sorry I woffle on a novel today..(obviously had a good nites sleep and my meds are working!!)
Just wanted to point out I'll never jump in...and helps at hand.
Do I thank u all..
Now if u can understand all this woffle your half way to understand taking it slow and research research is my game.
Ok there be a time for putting this research into action..but for now happy as I am
Learnt a hell of a lot and in time that knowlege making sence.
ATB
Bri
As it's been months n months n still not made a decision on anything...it's is truly walk before I run!! (Mind I can't run let alone walk properly lol..sick personal joke!)
The factor is I'm bouncing all these ideas but not putting them in place...isn't it how you fathom things by asking questions.
I really apreciate the advice, and armed with what I have attained knowledge wise it's all putting the pieces together..
What still I want to start with, how big volume it is, gas or electric, how confidate I am, and all the factor associated.
One thing is certain...in my tiny battered brain says I want a managble still..so prob small as I've disgussed..ease of operation!...safety aspects paramount.
This leads me to walk befor I can run..
Good to to think 'big' and thinking of the overall future..
As you can imagine I'm patient and slow, never jumping in til I fathom what I actually want to achieve...that is simply learn the still I have found, it's operation in all the fine details..stipping run, spirit run, etc.
Putting what I've learnt into good use...notes after notes starting with the what wash I want, how I can guage the% abv...volume of distil to do..as you say it's just a guide.
Above sea level n all that calculations come into play..
But not looking at any temps gauges as a crutch...normally knowing the still...by sound, heat, smell taste etc I'll learn what's what!
Following the guide of small jars, and throwing away nastys..
This is the most enjoyable time....I can read up til end of time..it's using the new knowlege n putting into practice...learn as much as I can..
Questions after questions...
Ok there's a lot of confusion in different ways to do things from personal views..but there all saying the same thing eventually..take the bull by the horns..get hands on...see how the still gets on...fathom out any probs..get the answers...adjust the problems for the next time..knowlege is power so they say!
For all I seem I'm going the wrong way about things lol actually I'm not...just voicing my probs and not actually putting them into action..
Tbh it will be a long time coming til I take the plunge to get a still setup (apart from old small still of course!)
In the mean time...listen you expresiance from yous...and fathom the way ahead!! :-)
Making mistakes in this hobby I have actually be using the kit! Lol not months of reading and talking a good distil run!
Slow as usual...snail not the hare...
Tbh without your help n guidance, we can all ignore and just buy anything old crap...and make mistakes...but for me mistakes arnt isn't my game...big nuff and hard nuff to value help and act on it..
Sorry I woffle on a novel today..(obviously had a good nites sleep and my meds are working!!)
Just wanted to point out I'll never jump in...and helps at hand.
Do I thank u all..
Now if u can understand all this woffle your half way to understand taking it slow and research research is my game.
Ok there be a time for putting this research into action..but for now happy as I am
Learnt a hell of a lot and in time that knowlege making sence.
ATB
Bri
-

old bri - Regular

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:38 pm
Re: old Bri's
Just read though my reply...OMG!
Think if you get rid of the crap I'm woffling it's about a paragraph worth of info..
Ohhh well yous are getting used to my woffle..
It's hard being this crap sometimes lol but I mean wel! Haha!
I'm not going to win any intengience completions any time soon!
Bri
Think if you get rid of the crap I'm woffling it's about a paragraph worth of info..
Ohhh well yous are getting used to my woffle..
It's hard being this crap sometimes lol but I mean wel! Haha!
I'm not going to win any intengience completions any time soon!
Bri
-

old bri - Regular

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:38 pm
Re: old Bri's
You beat me I had a shocking nights sleep LOL.
Picking up on a couple of points you raised..
AVOID gas then - Alcohol vapors are EXPLOSIVE! One small slip and boom. Did for a few moonshiners.
If you have a search round the site you will find we trow nowt away lad. Heads make a very good cleaner. mixed 'waste' is BBQ lighter, screenwash, surface cleaner and vessel safe to mention just a few.
Picking up on a couple of points you raised..
...safety aspects paramount.....
AVOID gas then - Alcohol vapors are EXPLOSIVE! One small slip and boom. Did for a few moonshiners.
....and throwing away nastys......
If you have a search round the site you will find we trow nowt away lad. Heads make a very good cleaner. mixed 'waste' is BBQ lighter, screenwash, surface cleaner and vessel safe to mention just a few.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: old Bri's
Mash wrote:You beat me I had a shocking nights sleep LOL.
Picking up on a couple of points you raised.....safety aspects paramount.....
AVOID gas then - Alcohol vapors are EXPLOSIVE! One small slip and boom. Did for a few moonshiners.....and throwing away nastys......
If you have a search round the site you will find we trow nowt away lad. Heads make a very good cleaner. mixed 'waste' is BBQ lighter, screenwash, surface cleaner and vessel safe to mention just a few.
Yeahhhh! Think the safety with gas n the possible accidents is why I'm not rushing into anything!
Yeah I used my nasty for cleaning....and tails for the next batch..once I was happy with the tail cuts.
Just about remember the dread for the 1st time using the still with gas burner in the garage lol..
Didn't get easier tbh!
Thx
Bri
-

old bri - Regular

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:38 pm
Re: old Bri's
My first home built electric still, over 30 years ago, once literaly blew it's top.
What a mess to clean up!
Much safer than a gas powered one would have been.
I am still here.
Robert.
What a mess to clean up!
Much safer than a gas powered one would have been.
I am still here.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: old Bri's
Easydrinker wrote:My first home built electric still, over 30 years ago, once literaly blew it's top.
What a mess to clean up!
Much safer than a gas powered one would have been.
I am still here.![]()
Robert.
Bloody 'ell !!
Yeahhh it's going to be electric power...no doubt about it :-)
All I need is leaking vapours..not! :-(
The only dangerous I do at the mo is use my brain haha!
Bri
-

old bri - Regular

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:38 pm
29 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest