Page 2 of 3

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:25 pm
by PieOPah
I've recently moved house and one of the neighbours has a huge Walnut tree in their garden. This overhangs into my garden (blocking out a lot of sun). May as well make use and see if I can get enough fruit to soak in a bottle of neutral.

Not sure how I'll get anything down. May have to throw the cat up there or something.....

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:40 pm
by Easydrinker
"THIS RESPONSE IS SPONSORED BY THE CATS PROTECTION LEAGUE"

PieOPah wrote:I've recently moved house and one of the neighbours has a huge Walnut tree in their garden. This overhangs into my garden (blocking out a lot of sun). May as well make use and see if I can get enough fruit to soak in a bottle of neutral.

Not sure how I'll get anything down. May have to throw the cat up there or something.....



Don't forget that UK law allows you to cut trees and branches that overhang your property boundary.
In theory you then have to offer the cut portions back to the owner of said overhanging thing.
If the tree is huge, they prolly won't want it.
You may even find a use for the Walnut wood?

Robert.

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:51 am
by PieOPah
I've considered getting it cut back, but my main worry is that if I cut back everything over my property, it will kill the tree - I don't want to do that!

This is my first year, so will see how bad it is and consider things from there.

And if this drink is nice enough then I may put up with the tree :-)

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:47 pm
by Easydrinker
Here's hoping the tree produces some good product then.
If it doesn't, falling out with the neighbours may not matter.

Robert.

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:59 am
by just sayin'
Reporting back, I had a wee taste of my one year old Nocino today. Well worth the effort, very interesting dram! I have a couple of liters started this week and did a little additional harvesting today. I hope to be able to harvest enough green walnuts this year to make at least ten liters. I will make more if I can before the shells harden within the husks. My goal is to put enough back to allow it to age for several years.


Now is the limited window to harvest some nuts! I missed it year after year...Just Sayin''

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:03 am
by Phantom
There was a post on FB yesterday/day before about a quicker way of producing limoncello.

Apparently, if you zest the amount of lemons and mix with the right quantity of alcohol, place it in a sealed bag (ziplock or similar), then put it in a Sous Vide boiler at 165F for a couple out hours, the result is for a pretty good infusion that can be sweetened as desired.

Seems that process speeds up the extraction of the flavour and colour elements considerably. Obviously, it seems some experimentation must have been done as the author of the post mentioned about zest only, no pith (like when using citrus in booze making) so there's no bitter notes picked up in the infusion/extraction).

Let's just say, that the person who posted this suggested method DOES know his way around normal booze making......... No names, no pack drill ;D

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:27 am
by Mash
Oooo. Was there any quantities or ratios.

I can my BM as a sous vide.

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:23 am
by Phantom
Mash wrote:Oooo. Was there any quantities or ratios.

I can my BM as a sous vide.

Dunno, will have a look later and post any detail I can find.....

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:38 am
by Mash
ta.

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:06 am
by Phantom
Mash wrote:ta.

This is what was posted..........

Zest ten lemons, put 'em in a sous vide bag with a litre of vodka. Two hours at 135. Pull out and cool.

Simple syrup to taste. Ready to drink immediately
.

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:04 pm
by Mash
That'll do nicely. Thank you.

When you think about it that's a very good idea which could be applied to a few things.

Been musing over an ultrasonic heater cleaner for fruit extraction in gin. I might try sous vide gin first. Should be different to boiling bots or sputnik.

SVJD anyone?

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:03 pm
by Easydrinker
What kind of plastic are sous vide bags made from?
Hot vodka and plastic sound like a recipe for leaching from plastic to me...

Robert.

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 pm
by Mash
Good grade vaccy bags. But good point.

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 pm
by just sayin'
You can easily bypass the plastics concern by popping your lemons and vodka in a jar.

Re: limoncello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:26 am
by Easydrinker
Sous Vide.
Don't ask my opinion.
I may use expletives.
Blummen Twat.

Robert.