Kale wash just finished.
6 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Kale wash just finished.
Hi all right hear goes my kale wash sg 1.080 finished 1.006 and the alcohol content was 9% ish was a very slow fermentation even with a aquarium heater set at 26 ©, this wash i double distilled heads i had 700 ml and then collected 1900ml in 200 ml jars at 90% abv does this sound right? Oh and i throw away 100 ml of the first lot that came out.
-

Robbo12 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 228
- Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:51 pm
- Location: North West England
- Stills: T500/ Airstill
Re: Kale wash just finished.
I am always uncertain with numbers, but given your figures, I feel your 25 litre wash must have actually fermented out at about 10%
Your discarded 100mls as Fores. (above 90%?)
You separated 700 mls as Heads (above 90%?)
You then collected 1.9 ;litres @ 90%
Here, you make no mention of separation of any Tails
All in all you do appear to have extracted a very high proportion of the original alcohol content of the 25 litres of wash.
I remain uncertain as to what your meant by ...I double distilled heads....As I am totally inexperienced with reflux distilling (which method you obviously appear to have used) it might well be a term with which I am unfamiliar.
Your discarded 100mls as Fores. (above 90%?)
You separated 700 mls as Heads (above 90%?)
You then collected 1.9 ;litres @ 90%
Here, you make no mention of separation of any Tails
All in all you do appear to have extracted a very high proportion of the original alcohol content of the 25 litres of wash.
I remain uncertain as to what your meant by ...I double distilled heads....As I am totally inexperienced with reflux distilling (which method you obviously appear to have used) it might well be a term with which I am unfamiliar.
T
-

Toper - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 372
- Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am
- Location: West Yorkshire.
- Stills: Copper Pot Still
Re: Kale wash just finished.
Meaning when i did the stripping run i collected nothing on the heads and then i put what i collected back through the still and what came off i put the heads totaling 700ml i didn't collect any tails when i tasted they seem ok .
-

Robbo12 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 228
- Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:51 pm
- Location: North West England
- Stills: T500/ Airstill
Re: Kale wash just finished.
I admit to being confused here.
It is usual to make no cuts on a strip run.
Choosing to not collect, or your still choosing not to deliver tails on a spirit run is something else.
Whatever you are doing, do it safely.
Robert.
It is usual to make no cuts on a strip run.
Choosing to not collect, or your still choosing not to deliver tails on a spirit run is something else.
Whatever you are doing, do it safely.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Kale wash just finished.
Robbo, I think the question is 'what prompted you to stop collecting'?
My still collects at mid 90's whilst in hearts and I keep collecting untill the meter reads 90 then switch to 100ml glasses and keep collecting until I smell tails.
I'd say if your last hearts glass smells as good as the first then sod the tails, happy days, tails must be there somewhere but as long as they are not in your hearts collection dont worry.
I did a run a couple of days a go with 3 strips and tried something new, everytime the meter started to drop I'd put the still back in to full reflux for 10 mins then start to trickle off again, I kept the boiler on lowish power for the duration and when finally I could get no more high end booze I decided to collect the tails seperately so turned the deflag off and let the temp rise from 78 up to 95 and collected about an egg cup full, I'm still confused about that.
My still collects at mid 90's whilst in hearts and I keep collecting untill the meter reads 90 then switch to 100ml glasses and keep collecting until I smell tails.
I'd say if your last hearts glass smells as good as the first then sod the tails, happy days, tails must be there somewhere but as long as they are not in your hearts collection dont worry.
I did a run a couple of days a go with 3 strips and tried something new, everytime the meter started to drop I'd put the still back in to full reflux for 10 mins then start to trickle off again, I kept the boiler on lowish power for the duration and when finally I could get no more high end booze I decided to collect the tails seperately so turned the deflag off and let the temp rise from 78 up to 95 and collected about an egg cup full, I'm still confused about that.
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
Re: Kale wash just finished.
With my t500 i switch the water on when the temp reaches 50 degrees on the column and try to keep the temperature between 50 and 60 that produces about 93abv now i have a clip on temperature which i put on my vapour tube and the max temp i can get is 60 and when it drops to about 40 i turn it off mybe I'm not running it right so if anyone got any pointers fireawy.
-

Robbo12 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 228
- Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:51 pm
- Location: North West England
- Stills: T500/ Airstill
6 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest