Page 1 of 1

Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:32 pm
by Chubbs
Afternoon all.

Just sat here looking at my two wine fermenters in the kitchen and started thinking about a larger fermenting vessel.

Now the man cave is sorted my next project is to build a bench out of 4 x 2 for my woodturning lathe. As there will be a bit of an area left, I'm thinking about extending the bench further to accommodate either the two Youngs fermenters or a larger vessel.

Do any of you guys ferment in vessels of 10 gallons upwards. If so, would you please point me in the right direction for something suitable.

I have previously seen some of those blue mango chutney containers for sale. Are these any good for brewing, considering the colour and what they use to hold.

Cheers

Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:49 pm
by Curmudgeon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AM5RZKA

These seem like a good deal, but you'd need a pump system of some sort for shifting stuff.

Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:15 pm
by Chubbs
That's the one, thanks Curmudgeon.

Never thought about transferring the brew but I do have a Totton Pumps Legacy Glycol pump that I bought a few years ago. It was originally used for homebrew so should be good for the purpose.

I'm seriously considering moving all my brewing into the shed as there really isn't enough space in the kitchen and I have everything I need in there, including a woodburner, internet connection, tv, radio and even a soakaway put in with waste pipe for when I was going to put a sink in.

So, there we go. Original post was about brewing in bigger tubs and now I see a man cave conversion coming on for brewing.

Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:41 pm
by Capt-Cudellez
I use that same size of barrel for my brews. you don't "need" a pump if the barrel is a few feet off the ground a syphon is fine.
I don't have mine on a bench so just lift one fermenter on to the top of one of the other barrels to syphon it off.
Its 50kg+ so depends on how good your back is. every time I do it, I think I must sort this out, maybe next year ;D

Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:15 am
by Mash
Every time you do it you think... I ought to get pump. Been there.

Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:54 pm
by RumJohn
@Chubbs: I use 90L fermentation tanks. It lends itself to more consistent end product, in my opinion.

Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:56 pm
by Chubbs
Cheers gents.

Using a bigger vessel will be more of an advantage to be honest. Not going to bother until after the warmer months as it will take me a while to sort the shed and I have never brewed much in the Summer due to the increased risk of brews going bad.

I know some do brew all the year round but it was just a bit of advice picked up from a neighbour who introduced me to wine and beer making in the mid eighties when I was a young lad, and something I have stuck to ever since no matter whether the advice was right or wrong.

It also feels like a sauna in there at times because of the metal roof and it has no windows for ventilation. At least the delay will give me time to plan it out properly, slim down on shed contents as once its done, it won't be changing.

Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:22 pm
by Mash
Hmm. I tend to brew more in the summer and less in the winter.

Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:38 pm
by Chubbs
I can't remember what yeasts were like back then in the eighties. Maybe the strains were not as tolerant as they are nowadays.

What I do remember is that the John Bull kit range were the first I made, and even then I realised they were shite.

Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:45 pm
by Easydrinker
Getting on in years, I would have to plan a mashing/brewing system greater than 25 litres.,
There are weights that I can comfortably lift and others that I cannot.

Robert.

Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:52 am
by Phantom
Easydrinker wrote:Getting on in years, I would have to plan a mashing/brewing system greater than 25 litres.,
There are weights that I can comfortably lift and others that I cannot.

Robert.

Concur. I once made a double batch (50 litres) in one of my 54ltr carboys and after ball busting effort to carry it down to the shed, I vowed never to bother with it like that again.

The blue drums can be found in 25, 50 and 205 litre sizes. I'd suggest not using the 205 unless you have some sort of cooling arrangement, as the ferment can clock up some warmth i.e. fermentation is exothermic, so once you get over a certain size, you need cooling before it gets warm enough to either stall the ferment or even kill off the yeast.

I certainly wouldn't use a 1000 litre IBC unless i had some sort of cooling (maybe a wort chiller, or even pump through a heat exchanger)..........

Many like the Spiedel fermenters. The ones I've seen are about 60 litres capacity (and I'd still use a pump ;D ).......

Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:02 pm
by Chubbs
I certainly qon't be planning any bigger than 100 litres. Even if I did that I would have to install a sink and tap into the shed along with the pump set up and fermenter stand.

My back is shot so lifting is totally out of the equasion and I even struggle with 25 litres.

A mate was on about a few of the blue barrels today on our way home from a boys weekend on Dartmoor. he lives on a farm and there are plenty about. Will see what he's got in a few days.

Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:27 pm
by Curmudgeon
I can't even manage 25 litres and use demijohns/5 litre water jugs.

If you are in the UK/Ireland, fermenting washes in summer should be fine as we almost never get over the 30 degree mark. Only issue could be temperature change between day and night.

Re: Larger Fermenting Vessels

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:50 am
by Mash
It is quite interesting to see how the dynamics of a larger brew change. Much over 100 litres and you need to start thinking about the shape of the fermenter. It needs to be proportionally flatter and shallower not taller and thinner.

This is to prevent pressure on the yeast at the bottom and temperature layering which can have an adverse effect on the product.

Larger ferments (to a point) are easier to manage.