Page 2 of 2

Re: T500 1st spirit run

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:06 am
by Easydrinker
That is it in a nutshell.
Maximum water flow for maximum cooling (or whatever it takes) is Full reflux.
A slow and controlled warm up for the run.

Robert.

Re: T500 1st spirit run

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:15 pm
by gaza the instructor
Have found IME this squeezes the heads
into a smaller volume.
Or is it my imagination. ???

Re: T500 1st spirit run

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:30 am
by Easydrinker
Such practise does indeed compress the heads.
You are maybe no madder than I. ;D

Robert.

Re: T500 1st spirit run

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:52 am
by old bri
Icefever wrote:
Distillingchris wrote: So do you turn water on full for 15mins when it starts producing alcohol to stop it or is that to long ?



Everyone has slightly different ideas/methods with reflux....so yes turn the water on full.

What you need to happen in the column is...hot vapour rising...hitting the cold condenser..can't pass that barrier so turns back to a liquid and starts to drop back down.

On it's way back down it hits more hot vapour...heats up again and starts to ascend again.

All it is, is a merry go round...up & down & back up again....now you hold it like this for how ever long you wish...I go for 20/30 mins, ED goes for the hour...I've read of folks going for the hour, the longer the better.

When your ready you back off the water slowly, as you do this the vapour will start to pass the condenser turning to likker and will start to drip out into your jar.

Part 2....is having a controller fitted so that you controll the heating element...then you get to play with that as well... :D "oh happy days"

Enjoy.. ;)


Hi m8
sorry for butting in.
for some time I'm researching the use of my grainfather with the stc controller. and hoping to purchase the T500.
I was getting confused needing a power control to the GF to regulate the boil.
could you explain what power control I should get and how it operates?
unfortunately my battered brain is best if I have a picture or link.
this is the only thing that holding back with buying either the T500 or a alembic still setup.
or
buy a larger spot still (gas or electric) from a maker in the uk.
either way, ive got the GF to use and if not a good option save it for my AG brewing.
thank you
Bri

Re: T500 1st spirit run

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:13 pm
by Mash