copper pieces ?
18 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
copper pieces ?
is there any particular shape.size and amount of copper pieces i should put in the airstill ? i have some 22mm copper pipe in the garage i could cut /flatten .
and how would i clean/prepare it before use.
and how would i clean/prepare it before use.
-

ninja_geezer - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
- Location: Planet Earth
Re: copper pieces ?
Your 22mm copper sounds ideal.
I cut it to 2-3cm lengths, stand the pieces upright on a chunk of concrete and smack them with a big hammer to remove sharp edges.
For cleaning, I advise Citric acid.
I buy a couple of kilos at a time from that auction site.
The pieces come out of a strip wash pretty clean, but quite dirty from a spirit run.
Use a fairly large mug full
Mash will be along soon advising you to look for REAL copper coins
HTH.
Robert.
I cut it to 2-3cm lengths, stand the pieces upright on a chunk of concrete and smack them with a big hammer to remove sharp edges.
For cleaning, I advise Citric acid.
I buy a couple of kilos at a time from that auction site.
The pieces come out of a strip wash pretty clean, but quite dirty from a spirit run.
Use a fairly large mug full
Mash will be along soon advising you to look for REAL copper coins
HTH.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: copper pieces ?
Easydrinker wrote:Your 22mm copper sounds ideal.
I cut it to 2-3cm lengths, stand the pieces upright on a chunk of concrete and smack them with a big hammer to remove sharp edges.
For cleaning, I advise Citric acid.
I buy a couple of kilos at a time from that auction site.
The pieces come out of a strip wash pretty clean, but quite dirty from a spirit run.
Use a fairly large mug full
Mash will be along soon advising you to look for REAL copper coins![]()
HTH.
Robert.
Thanks Robert top advice,not got any coins though i belive our 1p 2p coins have to be pre 1992 to have enough copper to of use.
-

ninja_geezer - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
- Location: Planet Earth
Re: copper pieces ?
... Or flatten some of the pieces.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: copper pieces ?
Mash wrote:... Or flatten some of the pieces.
i think i have some copper washers in the garage somewhere ,i guess they will act just as coins ?
-

ninja_geezer - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
- Location: Planet Earth
Re: copper pieces ?
Sure would. Flat is the important bit.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: copper pieces ?
Why is flat important?
I have about 8 or 9 pieces of copper tube which I cut off a pipe (about 5mm thick). Other than cut them off, I haven't done anything. Seem to have done the job okay!
I have about 8 or 9 pieces of copper tube which I cut off a pipe (about 5mm thick). Other than cut them off, I haven't done anything. Seem to have done the job okay!
-

PieOPah - Regular

- Posts: 87
- Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:03 pm
Re: copper pieces ?
Mash wrote:Sure would. Flat is the important bit.
Is the flat to help stop the boil over mash ?
-

ninja_geezer - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
- Location: Planet Earth
Re: copper pieces ?
Sure is.
The thin film of water under the flat boils quicker and then gases. The gas release causes the copper to move or bounce. This movement stops superheating which is the major cause of boilovers.
The thin film of water under the flat boils quicker and then gases. The gas release causes the copper to move or bounce. This movement stops superheating which is the major cause of boilovers.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: copper pieces ?
Mash and I differ in opinion here.
I believe lengths of tube work just as well.
A length of tube laying flat has the same effect, IMHO.
Robert
I believe lengths of tube work just as well.
A length of tube laying flat has the same effect, IMHO.
Robert
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: copper pieces ?
I think I may cover all bases and attention half and leave the other half as potential engagement rings...
-

PieOPah - Regular

- Posts: 87
- Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:03 pm
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: copper pieces ?
Pie,
I have both - but don't tell Robert
I have both - but don't tell Robert

email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: copper pieces ?
PieOPah wrote:I think I may cover all bases and attention half and leave the other half as potential engagement rings...
Lol all bases covered

-

ninja_geezer - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
- Location: Planet Earth
18 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest