Frankenstein still.
20 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Frankenstein still.
Don't ask me why??? I think I may have banged my noggin....
I picked up a S-hand copper dome, so I thought what would happen if I fix my torpedo to the dome, I use a short adapter from the screw fitting on the lids to tri-clamp, I made last year so that makes the fitting easier.
I picked up a S-hand copper dome, so I thought what would happen if I fix my torpedo to the dome, I use a short adapter from the screw fitting on the lids to tri-clamp, I made last year so that makes the fitting easier.
Last edited by Icefever on Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
-

Icefever - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 2407
- Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
- Location: Kingdom of Mercia
Re: Frankenstein still.
Talking Torpedos, my Boka has 970mm of SSP packing and I get 95% as a norm using my Grainfather boiler on full power.
Would a torpedo be of any advantage if fitted below the packing ?
Would a torpedo be of any advantage if fitted below the packing ?
Always give the hardest job to the laziest person because they will always find the easiest way to do it.
-

vino-tinto - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 449
- Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:45 am
- Location: East of England
Re: Frankenstein still.
If your getting 95% can your better that??? the only way to find out would try one.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
-

Icefever - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 2407
- Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
- Location: Kingdom of Mercia
Re: Frankenstein still.
Excuse my ignorance guys, but what does
a Torpedos do ??
I look at these Crystal Dragons (beautiful)
and would like to fit one on the Grainfather
when I buy one for the wife's xmas pressie
Sorry that word again.
a Torpedos do ??
I look at these Crystal Dragons (beautiful)
and would like to fit one on the Grainfather
when I buy one for the wife's xmas pressie
Sorry that word again.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Frankenstein still.
gaza the instructor wrote:Excuse my ignorance guys, but what does
a Torpedos do ??
I look at these Crystal Dragons (beautiful)
and would like to fit one on the Grainfather
when I buy one for the wife's xmas pressie![]()
Sorry that word again.
But will she really like her torpedo?
-

inspector gadget - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 315
- Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:44 am
- Location: South Holland Le Fens
- Stills: SmartStill,T500
-

Toper - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 372
- Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am
- Location: West Yorkshire.
- Stills: Copper Pot Still
Re: Frankenstein still.
probably not, but its me that wants the Grainfather
and it will stop me from moaning
and it will stop me from moaning

Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Frankenstein still.
Have you spoken to her Gadget.
Hope not she is more grumpy than
usual
Hope not she is more grumpy than
usual

Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Frankenstein still.
What goes on in the brewshed... stays in the brewshed... 

-

inspector gadget - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 315
- Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:44 am
- Location: South Holland Le Fens
- Stills: SmartStill,T500
Re: Frankenstein still.
The torpedo is a 4" bubble plate inside two halfs that enable it to fit in line with a 2"column using tri-clamp connections, I bought mine from SD just before their shop opened in Europe, I was using it under a packed column, in its self it's a single distillation stage as the vapour passing up through it mix's with reflux return liquid coming back, and in that process it increases the ABV.
But people ask if it's worth it if your packed column already produces a 95% product?
I would say yes, it's an improvement, I don't have any scientific evidence for it but having the torpedo under the column does seem to help, it kind of buffers the grunt from the boiler and makes the column seem more stable, other users have also noted this.
It also makes your column slightly more efficient, people talk about HETP (Height Equivalent to a Theoretical Plate) when talking about different column packing materials, the smaller the HEPT the more distillation stages for a given height of packing, however this is not linear inside the column the HEPT at the bottom where the ABV is lower is larger than the HEPT at the top, having a REAL PLATE under the column removes the largest theoretical plate, meaning in theory, by adding one physical plate you increase the number of theoretical plates by more then one, maybe another 2-3.
But people ask if it's worth it if your packed column already produces a 95% product?
I would say yes, it's an improvement, I don't have any scientific evidence for it but having the torpedo under the column does seem to help, it kind of buffers the grunt from the boiler and makes the column seem more stable, other users have also noted this.
It also makes your column slightly more efficient, people talk about HETP (Height Equivalent to a Theoretical Plate) when talking about different column packing materials, the smaller the HEPT the more distillation stages for a given height of packing, however this is not linear inside the column the HEPT at the bottom where the ABV is lower is larger than the HEPT at the top, having a REAL PLATE under the column removes the largest theoretical plate, meaning in theory, by adding one physical plate you increase the number of theoretical plates by more then one, maybe another 2-3.
- Anavrin
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 1468
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
- Location: By the Sea
- Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash
Re: Frankenstein still.
so the SD baby 2" CD it would be worth
fitting a torpedoes to the bottom of the column ?
fitting a torpedoes to the bottom of the column ?
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Frankenstein still.
Hi Gaza
Not really worth it for the Baby CD, it would help a little I guess by adding another plate but it's much more expensive than a Baby CD glass Section.
I've got a Six plate Baby CD that I'm seriously considering selling, I need some other bits for my Still and with XMAS coming I think I'm going to let it go to pay for the new bits.
Not really worth it for the Baby CD, it would help a little I guess by adding another plate but it's much more expensive than a Baby CD glass Section.
I've got a Six plate Baby CD that I'm seriously considering selling, I need some other bits for my Still and with XMAS coming I think I'm going to let it go to pay for the new bits.
- Anavrin
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 1468
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
- Location: By the Sea
- Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash
Re: Frankenstein still.
Anavrin wrote:Hi Gaza
Not really worth it for the Baby CD, it would help a little I guess by adding another plate but it's much more expensive than a Baby CD glass Section.
I've got a Six plate Baby CD that I'm seriously considering selling, I need some other bits for my Still and with XMAS coming I think I'm going to let it go to pay for the new bits.
I'm all ears for that one...
(goes to check the fund manager)
Gadget
-

inspector gadget - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 315
- Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:44 am
- Location: South Holland Le Fens
- Stills: SmartStill,T500
Re: Frankenstein still.
Well thats sold to one of us.
You 1st Mr G .
Dont think you will need to advertise this one
Anavrin.
You 1st Mr G .
Dont think you will need to advertise this one
Anavrin.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Frankenstein still.
gaza the instructor wrote:Well thats sold to one of us.
You 1st Mr G .
Dont think you will need to advertise this one
Anavrin.
If you want them its fine by me, my shed is drifting further into the fog every day, but should you not take them I will gladly be next in line hopefully if my budget will stretch to it.
Gadget
-

inspector gadget - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 315
- Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:44 am
- Location: South Holland Le Fens
- Stills: SmartStill,T500
20 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
