Back at it

The distillation process itself

Back at it

Postby Distillingchris » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:40 pm

Been crazy busy recently and not done a run for about a year, had 2 25litre buckets of kale wash sitting in garage for about 4 months and finally stripped them this weekend.
Doing spirit run now and a bit rusty

Started with about 22l at 28%
Full reflux for 20minutes
Then 40.c for 15 mins
Slowly rising to 45.c
Throw the first 100ml
Started collecting heads 10x100ml slowly rising temp to 53.c
I then collected 2x500ml hearts
2x200ml
Then I'm now collecting in 100ml batches but im nearly all out of glassware as it's still showing no sign of stopping and so far on 4L ,might have to pour some of the 100ml into 200ml

Do this sounds alright of have I messed up collecting hearts, surely the heads will be over within 1st litre of it coming out ?
User avatar
Distillingchris
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm
Stills: Airstill

Re: Back at it

Postby Distillingchris » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Update have had to double up glasses
So from the beginning
6x100ml
2x 200ml
4x 500ml
10x200ml
10x100ml

Was still flowing out nicely but had to stop due to time, so have got 6L which is what I put in orignally before diluting to about 28% 22L so hopefully I've not left to much in there

Will be leaving overnight and tasting/smelling tomorrow, how much do you think I couod expect to get out of that, 3L at 90% then diluted to 40% so over 6L of drinking alcohol or is that being to optimistic
Never had a big run like this before, think il either not fill it up as much or start abit earlier so I can see out the full run, has been on 7hours.
User avatar
Distillingchris
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm
Stills: Airstill

Re: Back at it

Postby Anavrin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:06 pm

Hi DisillingChris

I would expect just over 3 litres of hearts after the cuts, you might find a little more, so around 6-7 litres of 40% spirit after proofing.

Enjoy ;D
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Re: Back at it

Postby Distillingchris » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Tasting done, I'm sure some of you would get different results to me but think it's there or there abouts. I've left
800ml heads
Kept around 3L not measured yet as its being kept in DJ at the minute
Left about 1200ml of tails
Is it just me or does anybody else like the taste more at the end of hearts before the change into tails, feels like there slightly more flavour.

Now il keep the heads in a bottle and tails in a bottle

Can I redistill both ? I presume the head run once I have 4l will produce the better vodka than 4l of tail run
User avatar
Distillingchris
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm
Stills: Airstill

Re: Back at it

Postby Easydrinker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Yes, I would expect a heads run to yield something much better than a tails run.
Cuts on your initial runs may negate a reason for doing either later run.
This really is something that all should try and experience for themselves.
Discovering the parts of Hearts that work for you is part of a blenders art.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly


Return to Distillation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest