T500 1st spirit run
20 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
T500 1st spirit run
Finally at the spirit run after some slow fermentation, now I've got about 20litres in at 20%, just checking I'm going to do this right which should give 4litres ?, bin 1st 50ml,
collect in 100ml tubs till ...
Then collect ?? Litre of Heads
And then tails till it stops ?
Will keep temp around 50c is that right ?
Just after a rough guideline on cuts would rather cut more than less then I can add whatever amount into the hearts tomorrow when smelt and tasted, thanks
collect in 100ml tubs till ...
Then collect ?? Litre of Heads
And then tails till it stops ?
Will keep temp around 50c is that right ?
Just after a rough guideline on cuts would rather cut more than less then I can add whatever amount into the hearts tomorrow when smelt and tasted, thanks
-

Distillingchris - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 147
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm
- Stills: Airstill
Re: T500 1st spirit run
I'm very new to this, infact I've only used my T500 one. I'm sure some one will correct me if I'm wrong.
I did two runs on my was, first I ran it and collected everything (except first 200ml) in one big bottle. This is the strip run and helps clean your product. I did this quickly at 65 degrees
I then diluted back down to 30% and re ran. I collect the first 100ml and discarded. (Better to be safe than sorry) I then collected everything in 100ml jars, (50p from home bargains) I collected 28 at 93%, running at 50 degrees. Seemed Low to me but j got a steady drip/stream and slow is better. I think I could of collected more but nearly 3 litres was good ebough for me.
I put a bit of cloth over the jars and left over night. I then went though go them and tried to work out the heads and tail. Smell was hard but tasting was easier, see the guide in ref section. From what I understand I you can work out heads hearts and tails from volume. Best to do by taste.
The T500 seems a great piece of kit, have you got a PRV? I found the water pressure can jump a lot and the needle value was a bit fiddly at first but I got the hang of it.
Diver u
I did two runs on my was, first I ran it and collected everything (except first 200ml) in one big bottle. This is the strip run and helps clean your product. I did this quickly at 65 degrees
I then diluted back down to 30% and re ran. I collect the first 100ml and discarded. (Better to be safe than sorry) I then collected everything in 100ml jars, (50p from home bargains) I collected 28 at 93%, running at 50 degrees. Seemed Low to me but j got a steady drip/stream and slow is better. I think I could of collected more but nearly 3 litres was good ebough for me.
I put a bit of cloth over the jars and left over night. I then went though go them and tried to work out the heads and tail. Smell was hard but tasting was easier, see the guide in ref section. From what I understand I you can work out heads hearts and tails from volume. Best to do by taste.
The T500 seems a great piece of kit, have you got a PRV? I found the water pressure can jump a lot and the needle value was a bit fiddly at first but I got the hang of it.
Diver u
-

Diverch - Regular

- Posts: 51
- Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:00 pm
Re: T500 1st spirit run
Re Distillingchris .
Good to throw 1St 50mls(not nice stuff).
Collect all the rest down to about 30%
or so.
Do your other 4 runs the same.
Water down to 30 - 35%.
Then run your spirit collecting in 100ml
lots down to about 40%
Every 4ltr run will give you heads,hearts
and tails.
you need to air over night and then test
to keep what you want.
Hard at 1st but gets easier, practice makes
perfect.
If in doubt read the airstill brief for
comforting advise, its great stuff.
Above all else enjoy mate
Good to throw 1St 50mls(not nice stuff).
Collect all the rest down to about 30%
or so.
Do your other 4 runs the same.
Water down to 30 - 35%.
Then run your spirit collecting in 100ml
lots down to about 40%
Every 4ltr run will give you heads,hearts
and tails.
you need to air over night and then test
to keep what you want.
Hard at 1st but gets easier, practice makes
perfect.
If in doubt read the airstill brief for
comforting advise, its great stuff.
Above all else enjoy mate

Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: T500 1st spirit run
Thanks. I know the cuts of the airstill but wanted to know the hearts of a t500, should I be looking a litre in the middle then collect back down to 100ml, I haven't got 30 100ml pots so trying to collect what I think would be the majority or hearts in one container
-

Distillingchris - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 147
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm
- Stills: Airstill
Re: T500 1st spirit run
When do you stop with the t500, after 2 litres it's still coMing out over 80%, I've got 10 100ml heads, 1 litre, 500ml and 500ml then start back on the 100ml cuts ?
-

Distillingchris - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 147
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm
- Stills: Airstill
Re: T500 1st spirit run
Sorry mate thought you were on your Airstill.
That makes me stupid
When I use my T500 , I collect in 400 ml jars.
Just collect until it slows to a drip.
You can always recycle what you don't Keep.
That makes me stupid
When I use my T500 , I collect in 400 ml jars.
Just collect until it slows to a drip.
You can always recycle what you don't Keep.

Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: T500 1st spirit run
I keep the temperature around 40C and run in full reflux for 15 mins, then allow it up to 45C and throw away anything which comes off to that point, then up to 50C and collect around 250ml of heads which goes around again with the next batch, then up to 55C and collect 500ml jars until the flow slows to a trickle.
Final jar usually gets sent around again.
First and last-but-one jars get watered down and used for ouzo or pastis, middle jars get used for whiskish and liqueurs.
Final jar usually gets sent around again.
First and last-but-one jars get watered down and used for ouzo or pastis, middle jars get used for whiskish and liqueurs.
-

GrunthosTheFlatulent - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 166
- Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:44 am
- Location: English Midlands
Re: T500 1st spirit run
I see made abit of a mess of it but here is exactly what I did, feel free to comment or pass advice, now I know what to expect would do it a little different,
20litres at 20%
Threw 50ml even though I have done the same on the runs before
Collected 10x 100ml
Collected 1 litre
Collected 2 500ml
Then that was about it got 100ml more out of it then all but stopped
I ran at about 45c for 6 1/2 hours
Once tested tomorrow hopefully should get around 1.5 2 litres at 80/90% but as I messed the tails up will prob have to get rid off ( save for next time ) the last 600ml and hope not to many tails have gone into the 500ml before that
Now this reflux business, I didnt 'reflux' as you call it once it hit 50 and liquid started coming off I turned the water on to keep below 50c, what does the reflux do ? I read somewhere that once liquid comes off someone turned water up left it 15mins then turned it down to start collecting, however also read by yourself Then you do it differently still ?
Cheers
20litres at 20%
Threw 50ml even though I have done the same on the runs before
Collected 10x 100ml
Collected 1 litre
Collected 2 500ml
Then that was about it got 100ml more out of it then all but stopped
I ran at about 45c for 6 1/2 hours
Once tested tomorrow hopefully should get around 1.5 2 litres at 80/90% but as I messed the tails up will prob have to get rid off ( save for next time ) the last 600ml and hope not to many tails have gone into the 500ml before that
Now this reflux business, I didnt 'reflux' as you call it once it hit 50 and liquid started coming off I turned the water on to keep below 50c, what does the reflux do ? I read somewhere that once liquid comes off someone turned water up left it 15mins then turned it down to start collecting, however also read by yourself Then you do it differently still ?
Cheers
-

Distillingchris - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 147
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm
- Stills: Airstill
Re: T500 1st spirit run
I may be attempting to walk on water here, I own an air cooled reflux still, and not a T500, but I wish to try and help you. I welcome being corrected by members with superior knowledge
Firstly, don't waste spirit throwing what are commonly known as "Foreshots" too often, this one is a personally judged thing, based upon the wash, there is no hard and fast rule, but the perceived "danger" element is much smaller than reported or expected.
Read around a bit and decide for yourself.
Holding the column in total reflux, i.e. - maximum cooling, no product condensing;
This concentrates the higher alcohols, and ensures tighter cuts.
The Heads should come almost all at once, once the column is allowed to warm a little.
Get the column a little warmer and come the Hearts.
With my own still, the Tails don't even start.
These subtle nuances are something that you learn.
They are subtle, and you do learn, and from there it is all about living on Easy Street.
HTH
Robert.
Firstly, don't waste spirit throwing what are commonly known as "Foreshots" too often, this one is a personally judged thing, based upon the wash, there is no hard and fast rule, but the perceived "danger" element is much smaller than reported or expected.
Read around a bit and decide for yourself.
Holding the column in total reflux, i.e. - maximum cooling, no product condensing;
This concentrates the higher alcohols, and ensures tighter cuts.
The Heads should come almost all at once, once the column is allowed to warm a little.
Get the column a little warmer and come the Hearts.
With my own still, the Tails don't even start.
These subtle nuances are something that you learn.
They are subtle, and you do learn, and from there it is all about living on Easy Street.
HTH
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: T500 1st spirit run
DC for your first time you did ok matey...
we've all been there. As Robert said don't throw anything after you've dropped the first 50/100ml. After that you can always run it again and make something out of what you have left...but as I've said before it's a learning curve...get another wash on and get stuck in.. 
we've all been there. As Robert said don't throw anything after you've dropped the first 50/100ml. After that you can always run it again and make something out of what you have left...but as I've said before it's a learning curve...get another wash on and get stuck in.. 
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
-

Icefever - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 2407
- Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
- Location: Kingdom of Mercia
Re: T500 1st spirit run
Thanks so refluxing will sperating the heads better ? So do you turn water on full for 15mins when it starts producing alcohol to stop it or is that to long ?
-

Distillingchris - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 147
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm
- Stills: Airstill
Re: T500 1st spirit run
I understand that many will hold full reflux for an hour, I do.
In my case this involves juggling the power to the boiler, as I use constant cooling, i.e. the coolant flow never changes. This is more than you need to know for your still.
Robert.
In my case this involves juggling the power to the boiler, as I use constant cooling, i.e. the coolant flow never changes. This is more than you need to know for your still.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: T500 1st spirit run
Distillingchris wrote: So do you turn water on full for 15mins when it starts producing alcohol to stop it or is that to long ?
Everyone has slightly different ideas/methods with reflux....so yes turn the water on full.
What you need to happen in the column is...hot vapour rising...hitting the cold condenser..can't pass that barrier so turns back to a liquid and starts to drop back down.
On it's way back down it hits more hot vapour...heats up again and starts to ascend again.
All it is, is a merry go round...up & down & back up again....now you hold it like this for how ever long you wish...I go for 20/30 mins, ED goes for the hour...I've read of folks going for the hour, the longer the better.
When your ready you back off the water slowly, as you do this the vapour will start to pass the condenser turning to likker and will start to drip out into your jar.
Part 2....is having a controller fitted so that you controll the heating element...then you get to play with that as well...
"oh happy days" Enjoy..

I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
-

Icefever - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 2407
- Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
- Location: Kingdom of Mercia
Re: T500 1st spirit run
hi, slightly confused, I am doing my first distill next week on the t500, what do you mean run the water on full for the first 15 mins or so...cheers
-

guest5234 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 170
- Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm
Re: T500 1st spirit run
guest5234 wrote:hi, slightly confused, I am doing my first distill next week on the t500, what do you mean run the water on full for the first 15 mins or so...cheers
On spirit run, once you get the heat up and alcohol starts to come out, run water through at full speed for 15 minutes. This will normally mean having your inlet water ie tap full on and your waste water coming out fast by having the little needle valve wide open.
This will mean you get "full reflux" and no product coming out and after the 15 minutes use the needle valve or alternative to gradually slow down the water coming out your waste pipe until you get a nice drip but not as fast as a stream of alcohol coming out the product tube.
-

Curmudgeon - Master Distiller

- Posts: 521
- Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
- Stills: pot head
20 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest