Page 1 of 2

copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:27 pm
by ninja_geezer
is there any particular shape.size and amount of copper pieces i should put in the airstill ? i have some 22mm copper pipe in the garage i could cut /flatten .
and how would i clean/prepare it before use.

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:37 pm
by Easydrinker
Your 22mm copper sounds ideal.
I cut it to 2-3cm lengths, stand the pieces upright on a chunk of concrete and smack them with a big hammer to remove sharp edges.
For cleaning, I advise Citric acid.
I buy a couple of kilos at a time from that auction site.
The pieces come out of a strip wash pretty clean, but quite dirty from a spirit run.
Use a fairly large mug full
Mash will be along soon advising you to look for REAL copper coins ;D
HTH.

Robert.

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:51 pm
by ninja_geezer
Easydrinker wrote:Your 22mm copper sounds ideal.
I cut it to 2-3cm lengths, stand the pieces upright on a chunk of concrete and smack them with a big hammer to remove sharp edges.
For cleaning, I advise Citric acid.
I buy a couple of kilos at a time from that auction site.
The pieces come out of a strip wash pretty clean, but quite dirty from a spirit run.
Use a fairly large mug full
Mash will be along soon advising you to look for REAL copper coins ;D
HTH.

Robert.

Thanks Robert top advice,not got any coins though i belive our 1p 2p coins have to be pre 1992 to have enough copper to of use.

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:09 am
by Mash
... Or flatten some of the pieces.

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:08 am
by ninja_geezer
Mash wrote:... Or flatten some of the pieces.

i think i have some copper washers in the garage somewhere ,i guess they will act just as coins ?

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:18 pm
by Mash
Sure would. Flat is the important bit.

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:27 pm
by PieOPah
Why is flat important?

I have about 8 or 9 pieces of copper tube which I cut off a pipe (about 5mm thick). Other than cut them off, I haven't done anything. Seem to have done the job okay!

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:48 am
by ninja_geezer
Mash wrote:Sure would. Flat is the important bit.

Is the flat to help stop the boil over mash ?

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:18 pm
by Mash
Sure is.

The thin film of water under the flat boils quicker and then gases. The gas release causes the copper to move or bounce. This movement stops superheating which is the major cause of boilovers.

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:24 pm
by Easydrinker
Mash and I differ in opinion here.
I believe lengths of tube work just as well. :)
A length of tube laying flat has the same effect, IMHO.

Robert

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:14 pm
by PieOPah
I think I may cover all bases and attention half and leave the other half as potential engagement rings...

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:29 pm
by Easydrinker
You Old Romantic You! ;D

Robert.

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:18 am
by Mash
Pie,
I have both - but don't tell Robert :D

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:33 pm
by Easydrinker
LOL :D

Robert.

Re: copper pieces ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:28 am
by ninja_geezer
PieOPah wrote:I think I may cover all bases and attention half and leave the other half as potential engagement rings...

Lol all bases covered :D