Page 1 of 1

Compounding my run of bad luck...

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:07 pm
by Easydrinker
So within two days, the concealed element on my multi-purpose boiler burned out, and I Knocked the Essencia over, breaking both filter connections.
Dealing with the boiler here, some may find it an interesting read.

So, the boiler is not completely dead, it outputs around 340 Watts instead of 3000 at full power.
Not being in a state to plan a rebuild, and the only supplier of a swap in unit being a questionable supplier in Germany, I went with what I had.

I had never lagged the silly still for strips before, but having now done so, a nice steady 14 hours did the job instead of the usual 4. :o
I walked away and left it to do it's thing.

Spirit run with the very silly still was kind of similar, I lagged the boiler and slightly less pipe lagging on it's column, it took about 3 times the old time, but so gentle that I wandered off and pottered with other stuff.

This cost the usual amount of electricity per run, it just took longer.

The end product seems to be as expected.
It has been run thru my lashed together filter, but that is a post in another thread, maybe tomorrow.

Robert.

Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:36 am
by Mash
Oh my. Is just replacing the element not an option.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:31 pm
by ninja_geezer
Easydrinker wrote:So within two days, the concealed element on my multi-purpose boiler burned out, and I Knocked the Essencia over, breaking both filter connections.
Dealing with the boiler here, some may find it an interesting read.

So, the boiler is not completely dead, it outputs around 340 Watts instead of 3000 at full power.
Not being in a state to plan a rebuild, and the only supplier of a swap in unit being a questionable supplier in Germany, I went with what I had.

I had never lagged the silly still for strips before, but having now done so, a nice steady 14 hours did the job instead of the usual 4. :o
I walked away and left it to do it's thing.

Spirit run with the very silly still was kind of similar, I lagged the boiler and slightly less pipe lagging on it's column, it took about 3 times the old time, but so gentle that I wandered off and pottered with other stuff.

This cost the usual amount of electricity per run, it just took longer.

The end product seems to be as expected.
It has been run thru my lashed together filter, but that is a post in another thread, maybe tomorrow.

Robert.

oh dear Robert we have had a bad day !!!!
one of my older post on here may be of use with the filter as i snapped my carbon part and the repair is spot on have a look it should help .

Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:33 pm
by ninja_geezer
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4677
this may help Robert.

Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:16 pm
by Easydrinker
The heating elements are tack welded to the outer of the SS base, beyond my talents to source and fix.
Still, no pun intended, deciding between a straight boiler swap and a new build boiler and chopping the columns.
The expired boiler is a very low and squat profile, just what I need for the space that it has to inhabit.

I will post about the Essencia in the Filtering section.

Robert.

Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:45 am
by Mash
These tacked on one's are a proper pita. If you try and get it off you can damage the vessel.

Can you drill the side and install a kettle element?

Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:43 pm
by Easydrinker
Mash wrote:
Can you drill the side and install a kettle element?


I prolly could, but it would be a recipe for disaster when using the same boiler as a wash tun for all grain!

Robert.

Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:20 am
by Mash
Good news. You have a new stainless fermenter then.

You could replace it with one of these German mash boilers then, make your AG easier.

https://www.expondo.de/royal-catering-b ... -watt-1891