Page 2 of 4

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:25 am
by Easydrinker
I'm going to butt in here,Chuck can thump me later..
It seems chill's Ph buffer has failed him recently and may need re-working.
Personally,I have considered Ph buffers since I read about them here several years ago.
I now do not consider a pre-emptive strike the way to go.
I check the Ph at yeast pitching time,and also if it appears slow or dormant during ferment,and adjust as/if needed.
Sometimes I have to add Sodium Bicarbonate to a slow ferment.
It is as simple as that.
That works for me.
And the simpler I can keep it the better.

Robert.

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:13 am
by chill
I have found that just adding baking soda when the pH dives results in yo-yo-ing pH. A properly formulated buffer will keep the pH in a narrow range. An improperly formulated buffer will make things worse (my has resulted in a high pH which I suspect has resulted in lower alcohol production).

Google "ph buffer baking soda citric acid" for buffer details, or start here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWEMSKtvIBA
http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewto ... f=7&t=1109
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=41252


Chuck

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:14 am
by Mash
I have a wheat/malt wash on and there seems to be no issue.
So is it something about lentils? Is the pH swing being caused by nutrient deficiency? in which case things a small amount (1/2 tsp) of something like Tronozymol would also fix the problem?

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:06 pm
by chill
I've had it in washes other than lentils and adding DAP and a yeast nutrient that looks similar to Tronozymol did not help. I thought it was normal! :D

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:46 pm
by Mash
I would have thought you could have fermented sugar without lentils and just use Tronozymol for its nutrient base.

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:41 am
by Easydrinker
I am not doubting Chuck's knowledge or experience of buffers here.
And I am not stating that my method of an intervention,if needed,is the only way to go.
Sometimes my washes do as intended;ferment out with no intervention,sometimes not.
I find a timely adjustment of Ph. results in a quickly finished wash,with no time for Ph. swings.
My method works for me,and seems simple.
A buffer may assure me of the same results? But seems to be one more (constant) step.

Idiosyncrasy,- "a mode of behaviour or way of thought peculiar to an individual".
I think that sums me up.

Robert.

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:54 pm
by Mash
Are you suggesting you are peculiar individual Robert :D :D

If it works for you....Absolutely that's all good.

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:36 am
by hampk
Well plenty to think about in that lot - thanks for all the comments.

This wash has stuck - dropped to 0.998 and that appears to be as far as it's going. I won't be starting another for a few weeks as parts foreign beckon, which will give me time to contemplate what I am learning. Might try wheat next time ::)

Cheers

Hampk

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:47 am
by Mash
hmm. 0.998 - I don't think thats stuck I think its done IMO.

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:29 pm
by chill
Yep, done like dinner. Run it!

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:31 pm
by Almanac
Ideally, (remember I said Ideally) a Lentil wash should finish at 0.990 and sometimes a tiny bit lower but 0.998 is almost there and as the guys said it's probably done in this case.

The 'loss' in ABV will be negligible in the big scheme of things ;)

A wash started at 1.080 and finishing at 0.990 will be 11.61% ABV
A wash started at 1.080 and finishing at 0.998 will be 10.58% ABV

Not worth sweating over ;)

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:05 pm
by Easydrinker
As with most here,I consider any wash below 1.000,without visible activity finished (and sometimes even a little higher),wishing you luck with the runs.

Rober6

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:49 pm
by hampk
Thanks for the advice on that guys - it's clearing now. I'm still bemused by the fact that it took the best part of three weeks to get there, but maybe I just need to practice my patience!

Hampk

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:01 am
by Mash
Lots of stuff affects the duration of a ferment.
Top few...
Temperatures.
Temp fluctuation
Yeast pitching
Yeast Viability.
That said 3 weeks isn't a grossly long time IMO for bakers yeast.

Re: S.L.O.W. lentils

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:47 pm
by hampk
Thanks for the opinion on that Mashy - maybe I'm just hung up on the recipe saying a week!

Hampk