What is the best water to use - RO,Spring,Distilled or Tap?

The distillation process itself

What is the best water to use - RO,Spring,Distilled or Tap?

Postby Mash » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:14 pm

Ted raised this question in the welcome section and I think it a good 'un.


Ted wrote:Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, to achieve the 0ppm purity it's de-ionised RO water. I guess there's two parts to me question:

Firstly is there a 'scientific' reason why I shouldn't even consider using the RO water? For example, because it's de-ionised the RO water is more reactive than distilled water.

Secondly and purely on the basis of the taste of the final product am I simply better going with either distilled or spring water?


So is RO, distilled, Bottled Spring or tap water best ?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: What is the best water to use - RO,Spring,Distilled or T

Postby packapoo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Best refer to Robert's edict....There is no one way to do this thing... ;)
I seldom take myself seriously....
User avatar
packapoo
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
Location: Marton, New Zealand
Stills: Amphora PDA-1

Re: What is the best water to use - RO,Spring,Distilled or T

Postby Ted » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:34 pm

Did some more research on RO/DI water. Due to its reactive nature there are various warnings that it may corrode stainless steel. Doesn't sound like good news for an air still.

I knew that RO/DI is reactive - as my final aim is to produce gin I was thinking that being reactive might assist in taking on flavours.

The question still stands though - RO, distilled or spring water for dilutions?
User avatar
Ted
Newcomer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:54 pm

Re: What is the best water to use - RO,Spring,Distilled or T

Postby Easydrinker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:56 pm

My recommendation, for what it is worth.
Use tap water for your wash, and any form of better water for diluting spirit.
I favour bottled spring water.
It works for me.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: What is the best water to use - RO,Spring,Distilled or T

Postby Ted » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:49 am

Thanks Robert - much appreciated
User avatar
Ted
Newcomer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:54 pm

Re: What is the best water to use - RO,Spring,Distilled or T

Postby Easydrinker » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:59 pm

I did forget to say that if running through an Essencia filter, then I dilute neutral spirit with tap water, I believe anything better to be a waste.
I will tip my hat in Phantoms direction here, I know that he does differently, and I do not wish to start an arguement.
There are more ways than one! :)

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly


Return to Distillation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest