Page 1 of 3

A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:22 am
by Maker
I picked up a couple of fermenting barrels today, nice and cheap off facebook, turned up at the chaps house and was offered another for free as it was in his way, quite happy at this point, he asked what I was brewing so I said whiskey to see what his reaction would be, instead of looking puzzled he said he had a keg in the garden that would make a good boiler, did I want it? ;) Slightly took a back I said I would have a look, he had a rummage and returned with a 50L cider barrel in stainless, handed it to me and I said thats heavy, he replied it still has cider in it, I thanked him and drove away giggling. I have compared it with an empty keg and I think there is a couple of gallons still inside, I don't wish to buy a tap to fit it but I want whats inside, is there a way to get it out?


Image

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:32 am
by Myles
What is inside it may be really bad if it has been half empty for a long time.

Either way you need to release the pressure before you do anything with it. Put it on its side and sit on it. Point it away from you and use something blunt and a hammer to tap the centre disk. Be prepared for a lot of mess. Keep bumping that centre until all the pressure has gone and then you can think about removing the Sanke G type fitting.

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:12 am
by Icefever
There are videos on you tube...be very careful.

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 am
by Myles
Icefever wrote:There are videos on you tube...be very careful.


+1 on that. You don`t want any pressure in there when you try to take out the spear.

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:52 pm
by Easydrinker
The first keg that I broke into with a hammer, maybe 30 years ago, shot its clever bits about 20 feet into the air. ;D
Take care.

Robert.

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:49 am
by just sayin'
Great score, Marker! You had a great day!

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:20 pm
by packapoo
I found a large economy sized crow bar worked wonders ;D

Very quick, spear succumbed immediately, no risk 8)

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:00 pm
by H12rpo
My keg has turned up and has exactly the same fitting........how the f did you get it off Maker?

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:31 pm
by Easydrinker
Maker has been absent from this thread for a few days.
I hope that he didn't blow his head off using a hammer or crowbar.

Robert.

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:55 pm
by H12rpo
He hasn’t joined the ranks of those thatve pi$$ed off the porridge gobbler has he???
:)

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:03 am
by H12rpo
Anyone else with any advice on this specific keg fitting then please ?

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:18 am
by Mash
Which one have you got ?

There are spanners for these, but there are a couple of different types.

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 pm
by H12rpo
Exactly the same as the op with 3 flat sides

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:54 pm
by Mash
Its a G-type. Not hard - here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XglWWvIe9js

make sure the pressure is out before you start AND do it outside.

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:31 pm
by H12rpo
Ta very much......looks easy enough.

As an aside. I’m intending a build which will have a column which I can change bits of in a modular approach, so for eg a packed section which by undoing a few clamps can be swapped out for a straight through pipe for whisky and maybe a head which includes a reflux coil which again could be swapped out for a plain pot head top/lyne arm.

Anyone done this ? Or is there a link I can go to for different still designs