Page 1 of 1
Distilling beer

Posted:
Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:56 pm
by Wideyed
Hi everyone, I've been reading the forums on this site for a few weeks and went and bought myself an Easystill, so far I've managed to distil 50 ltr of wash and I'm please with the results. my question is, I have some 25 ltr of beer that is about 6.5% and as a strong malty taste which I find disagreeable is it possible to decant this and let it go flat then distil it to make a whisky type spirit?
Re: Distilling beer

Posted:
Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:34 pm
by Capt-Cudellez
Welcome Wideyed, you can distil it - give it a go see what you get.
My personal experience with strong tasting beers has not been good I've never made nice spirit with it- I've tasted commercial whiskey wash and the white unaged spirit both were surprisingly (to me at least) mild tasting - so much of the flavour come from the barrel aging with commercial whiskey.
You might do better - let us know how you get on.
CC
Re: Distilling beer

Posted:
Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:12 pm
by Wideyed
thanks for the advise. just ran the first batch through with some tails and didn't notice any strange taste or smell, so perhaps I'm wasting my time trying to make a whisky and I'll probably just strip it, and get some wood chips.
Re: Distilling beer

Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:45 am
by Frank
Hi Aidanmac (et al)
re distilling unwanted beer, can you do the same with a beer brew that has fermemted (as much as its going to, at least) but is 'off', that is, sour or spoiled due to some problem like air getting in or dirty grommets?
Re: Distilling beer

Posted:
Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:50 pm
by shoutingsoup
Hi all.
I've got 12-13 litres of cider I was considering putting through my T500 still. My question is, will it cause the saddles/copper to get dirty/covered with gunk?
I'm not sure how often the saddles will need cleaning but if running cider/wine washes through is going to increase the need for cleaning I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Soup.
Re: Distilling beer

Posted:
Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:22 pm
by Capt-Cudellez
The ceramic saddles really hold on to flavour in my experience - also is the cider sweet or dry if it is sweet you may have burning issues.
That said nothing ventured nothing gained - I'd be willing to risk having to clean the packing as you may end up with something really nice. You could also run with the cooling a bit higher - pull a lower ABV and retain some of the flavour.
CC
Re: Distilling beer

Posted:
Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:57 pm
by alan
shoutingsoup wrote:Hi all.
I've got 12-13 litres of cider I was considering putting through my T500 still. My question is, will it cause the saddles/copper to get dirty/covered with gunk?
I'm not sure how often the saddles will need cleaning but if running cider/wine washes through is going to increase the need for cleaning I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Soup.
give it a go, iv started doing rum washes if ya wash out the colume while its still hot you should be ok i take all the pipes off an fill it with hot water. I ment to say i back flush mine by connecting a hose to the spirit outlet and on to my hot tap an let it run for 10mins
alan