Fermentation Not Complete

Discuss fermentation, different types of wash, etc

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby Mash » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:43 am


Might make the next one without these additions.


BINGO.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby Icefever » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:14 am

Mashy wrote:

Might make the next one without these additions.


BINGO.



Back to basics...not a bad idea ;)
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
User avatar
Icefever
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Kingdom of Mercia

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby Mr Four Square » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:38 am

packapoo wrote:I've seen a school of thought elsewhere (don't believe it was this board) that suggests pH can be assisted by chucking a couple of suitably cleaned sea shells (cockles, whatever) into the mix.Apparently it works. Theory is over a period the calcium is consumed and gradually you find, next two please.FWIW. I haven't tried it but I'm intending to. ???


I tried this on one of two identical Cachaca washes. Both came out just fine but you could tell the sea shells had given up quite a bit of calcium. Its a neat idea. The wash scavenges the calcium from the shells like a sacrificial anode !

What makes you think it has stalled? Lack of movement in the airlock? No change to the SG? How long was the wash sitting without a change to the SG? It is possible that it has just slowed down,. You can leave these things for a month sometimes ...
User avatar
Mr Four Square
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:57 pm
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Stills: Pot & T500Reflux

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby Still Brewing » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:03 pm

The wash has been going for nearly two weeks now. I turned the heater back on a couple of days ago and it looks like there has been a little more fermentation as its gone down to 1004.

Bit strange that one as it was stuck on the same reading for nearly four days.

Fermentation is strange at times. Looks like I need to read up a little more instead of just understanding the basics.
User avatar
Still Brewing
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby chill » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:42 pm

Have you tried adding some Baking Soda to see if it is the pH?
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby Easydrinker » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:57 pm

It is not that I wish to argue with the sea-shells reference,only the disclaimer,"over a period of time" , my own washes take a week,or less,there is no more time!

Maybe you pre-soak the shells?

One of the reasons that I moved away from home winemaking was the inordinate amount of time that ferments seemed to take.
Maybe I could now improve on that?
Anyway,re-reading this thread,I am still convinced that it is PH (or maybe high sugar),causing the problem,so please let me know if I am wrong.
I won't promise to eat my hat,but will graciously admit that I was wrong.
I am here to try and help,you,me and anyone else that wanders by.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby packapoo » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:40 am

I liked Mashy's calc from the other day. Tomas sugar....
I seldom take myself seriously....
User avatar
packapoo
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
Location: Marton, New Zealand
Stills: Amphora PDA-1

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby hampk » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:13 am

+1 to the comments relating to sugar and pH. My own experiments after suffering interminably long fermentations have led me to 5.5kg sugar in 25 litres, not 21, and a pH buffer. Even with 25 litres I found I needed the buffer for a quick ferment, but our tapwater here is well below pH 7.

Cheers

Hampk
User avatar
hampk
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: A hill with a view
Stills: Airstill

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby Mr Four Square » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:56 am

Couldn't care less about the shells ED just mentioned them in passing. Just saying washes are more active than we give them credit for and we often panic thinking that its stalled or stressed or something. If the SG is moving down the yeast are working. Give it the sniff test. Head in the bucket. Inhale deeply and if it feels like both your nostrils have been stabbed all's well and there's life in them yeasties yet. O0
User avatar
Mr Four Square
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:57 pm
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Stills: Pot & T500Reflux

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby Easydrinker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:38 pm

Depends upon the size of yer bucket,- stick yer head in one of mine and you would need a towel if not a hair wash,not a lot of free space in the current ones!

Robert
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby Mash » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:21 am

Brilliant image... Thanks Robert
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby Still Brewing » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:21 pm

Managed to get the ferment right down to sg 1000, but it was a bit of a struggle.

I see some of you have mentioned PH buffers. Do you use them as a matter of course or just when you are having problems with slow ferments.

What brand would you recommend.
User avatar
Still Brewing
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby chill » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:35 pm

I use one as a matter of course with sugar bases washes. I make my own, it is just a precise combination of baking soda and citric acid.

Chuck
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby hampk » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:45 pm

I've also been using a buffer -last three washes have all completed in 5 days with no stalling - previously I have had awful problems.

I guess you ideally want a 50% mix by atomic weight of citric and bicarbonate but I have to say I've just been chucking 50g of each into a litre of water, waiting for the fizz to die down, and then adding to the wash.

Works for me.. ;D

Cheers

Hampk
User avatar
hampk
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: A hill with a view
Stills: Airstill

Re: Fermentation Not Complete

Postby chill » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:27 pm

Changing the ratio will change the pH level that the buffer "locks in". Equal atomic weights should hold it at 5.0, IIRC, which I may well not.

Chuck
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest