new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
21 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
Didn't make it over to the HBS at the weekend, and was running low on my fav's.
So during work today, I popped over there to get some of the Tennessee Bourbon and Navy Rum, only to find that they now also do a Single Malt Scotch flavouring (black packet, gold writing and even though its for 1 litre, 48g rather than the usual 18g).
Gonna try a drop presently, and don't know if it needs a few days too mix/mellow, like some flavourings do.
I'm no expert on scotch, just that all the single malty I've tasted, I've enjoyed. Maybe one of the whisky monsters will be able to ID which one its similar too ?
So during work today, I popped over there to get some of the Tennessee Bourbon and Navy Rum, only to find that they now also do a Single Malt Scotch flavouring (black packet, gold writing and even though its for 1 litre, 48g rather than the usual 18g).
Gonna try a drop presently, and don't know if it needs a few days too mix/mellow, like some flavourings do.
I'm no expert on scotch, just that all the single malty I've tasted, I've enjoyed. Maybe one of the whisky monsters will be able to ID which one its similar too ?
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
I will be intrested to know how it tastes as it will soon be time for me to order some essences from Wineworks.
I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me-Winston Churchill
-

optic - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 356
- Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:37 am
- Location: grotty old GB
- Stills: Super Reflux
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
Well at the moment, its been mixed for all of 15minutes and apart from a slight alcohol harshness tingle in the mouth, the actual taste isn't bad at all.
If it mellows, it'll get better, but considering its the same price as the others, not bar at all. I'll try and update as/when/if it mellows etc.....
If it mellows, it'll get better, but considering its the same price as the others, not bar at all. I'll try and update as/when/if it mellows etc.....
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
My HBS has been selling it for a while as is wine works now.I think it the best premixed one out there similar to Speyside malts gets better with age very popular with me and my mates 

AT
-

Admiral Toad - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 883
- Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:27 pm
- Location: The far North
- Stills: pothead, BP column
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
I use 4 sachets in 5 ltr of 40% abv then add 25 chunks of whisky chips oak and leave it to stand for 6 to 8 week it makes a really smooth very oaky malt i have also started to allow 50% of the heads (about 150ml)into the brew wich gives just a tiny bit of bite
Cheers
Cheers
-

billmcc - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 358
- Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:36 pm
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
Well if I ever get a chance, I'll have a crack at some of the suggested mods, but right now, I'm more than happy to drink it straight.......
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
It's reet canny as it is believe me 

Last edited by Admiral Toad on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
AT
-

Admiral Toad - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 883
- Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:27 pm
- Location: The far North
- Stills: pothead, BP column
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
The fact that each sachet contains 48grms instead of the usual 18grms must make a difference,as I find what all of the Scotch essences lack is any real body.
I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me-Winston Churchill
-

optic - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 356
- Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:37 am
- Location: grotty old GB
- Stills: Super Reflux
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
Not tried this one yet but will give it some thought. To-date I've not found any essence that comes close to a decent scotch.
Bourbon, Rum, Brandy and Tequila brilliant but scotch not found it yet, even lashed out on a bottle of Glenlivet today out of frustration with my last mix.
The remaining few litres can go back with the next wash in the stil.
Opus
Bourbon, Rum, Brandy and Tequila brilliant but scotch not found it yet, even lashed out on a bottle of Glenlivet today out of frustration with my last mix.
The remaining few litres can go back with the next wash in the stil.
Opus
-

Opus 27 - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 451
- Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:18 pm
- Location: South West UK
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
Well I've tried it, WOW! I'm impressed. This really does taste like a decent whisky, I'd be tempted to top up a Glenlivet bottle and see if I could fool anyone.
If theres an equal Bourbon out there point me to it.
Opus
If theres an equal Bourbon out there point me to it.
Opus
-

Opus 27 - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 451
- Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:18 pm
- Location: South West UK
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
Over time I tried every Bourbon 'essence' I could get my hands on but discovered that your taste buds had to be asleep or delinquent to make you believe you were drinking Bourbon, or anything like it.
In the end I had to accept that, for me, the only acceptable alternative to making Bourbon Whisky the traditional/conventional way is to soak the Oak from barrels previously used for aging real the REAL thing.
Similarly, I have produced some quite palatable Whiskey of a Scotch type using toasted French Oak and a good quality neutral. I'm not suggesting it would be a Single Malt equivalent but it's a fascinating area to experiment in and I fully intent to mash some Barley this summer to make a batch of Whiskey for my drinks cabinet and store some for future years.
I love this hobby.
AM
In the end I had to accept that, for me, the only acceptable alternative to making Bourbon Whisky the traditional/conventional way is to soak the Oak from barrels previously used for aging real the REAL thing.
Similarly, I have produced some quite palatable Whiskey of a Scotch type using toasted French Oak and a good quality neutral. I'm not suggesting it would be a Single Malt equivalent but it's a fascinating area to experiment in and I fully intent to mash some Barley this summer to make a batch of Whiskey for my drinks cabinet and store some for future years.
I love this hobby.
AM

Almanac
- Almanac
- Senior Distiller

- Posts: 1847
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
Opus 27 wrote:Well I've tried it, WOW! I'm impressed. This really does taste like a decent whisky, I'd be tempted to top up a Glenlivet bottle and see if I could fool anyone.
If theres an equal Bourbon out there point me to it.
Opus
Well ive taken your word for it Opus and have 10 packs of it on the way from Wineworks.
Optic
I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me-Winston Churchill
-

optic - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 356
- Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:37 am
- Location: grotty old GB
- Stills: Super Reflux
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
Oh S**t Optic hope are taste buds are the same or I could owe you £20+
Opus
Opus
-

Opus 27 - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 451
- Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:18 pm
- Location: South West UK
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
One man's Single Malt is another' man's "oh shit, that's crap"!!! 
We live to learn!
AM

We live to learn!
AM

Almanac
- Almanac
- Senior Distiller

- Posts: 1847
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am
Re: new SS single malt whisky flavouring.....
Opus 27 wrote:Oh S**t Optic hope are taste buds are the same or I could owe you £20+
Opus
Opus
If you reckon it might fool people that it is Glenlivet thats good enough for me.
Optic
I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me-Winston Churchill
-

optic - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 356
- Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:37 am
- Location: grotty old GB
- Stills: Super Reflux
21 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Return to Aging and Flavouring
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest