First run in a Still Spirits Air Still
Well, I did everything wrong and got that out of my system. Despite that, I got about 1.2L of smooth spirit. It was a bit low in ABV, but we'll get there.
Bearing in mind that this was my first run and I think I "pushed" things along a bit, here's what I did:
[*]Simple 10L table sugar wash with a 72 hour turbo.
[*]Used the Still Spirits clearing agents but I think it wasn't quite done working. (I *told* you I was in a hurry! This got it out of my system, I think.)
[*]It didn't clear correctly but what the heck...
[*]Pulled the anticipated 8L off of the lees. It was not as clear as I think it should have been and seemed to smell a bit sour or acrid. Not bad, mind you, but not sweet either.
[*]Preheared 4L to about 150 on the stove while I wiped the still out.
[*]Added the distiller's conditioner, ceramic boil enhancers and some copper saddles.
[*]Added the wash and let 'er rip. Stripped to 40%
[*]Opened the still immediately (I have a set of old welding gloves that I use around the kitchen when I'm roasting coffee, smoking things or working on a hot grill.) and pitched the spent wash.
[*]Repeated for the second batch except I preheated it to 165ish and stripped to 20%
[*]The distillate was clear but smelled of chemicals. I smelled sulphides and I don't know what else. I didn't write down the ABV but it was where the instructions said it should be.
[*]Diluted the distillate (low wines?) to about 40% (i.e. added them back to the still and topped it up to the full mark) and ran it again.
[*]Pulled and pitched 50ml
[*]Pulled 250ml for the heads.
[*]Pulled the next 500ml and couldn't really smell the difference.
[*]Pulled 800ml for hearts. There was little difference between the cuts to my nose.
[*]Cut the still off at 20%.
[*]Wound up with about 1200ml and 250 ml of heads that I saved. ABV was low though, about 55%. I corrected for the temperature, but that seems quite low to me.
It smells like alchohol and is drinkable, even without filtering. The rest is going into a batch of Black Sambuca.
Lessons learned:
[*]I need a glass container for my hydrometer.
[*]Patience! I think I got the "hurry up" out of my system.
[*]Check the math and log the OG, FG, and ABV readings. It ain't rocket science!
Next up: another batch of sugar wash, and a 5gal batch of corn flake wash.
Best,
e4g
Bearing in mind that this was my first run and I think I "pushed" things along a bit, here's what I did:
[*]Simple 10L table sugar wash with a 72 hour turbo.
[*]Used the Still Spirits clearing agents but I think it wasn't quite done working. (I *told* you I was in a hurry! This got it out of my system, I think.)
[*]It didn't clear correctly but what the heck...
[*]Pulled the anticipated 8L off of the lees. It was not as clear as I think it should have been and seemed to smell a bit sour or acrid. Not bad, mind you, but not sweet either.
[*]Preheared 4L to about 150 on the stove while I wiped the still out.
[*]Added the distiller's conditioner, ceramic boil enhancers and some copper saddles.
[*]Added the wash and let 'er rip. Stripped to 40%
[*]Opened the still immediately (I have a set of old welding gloves that I use around the kitchen when I'm roasting coffee, smoking things or working on a hot grill.) and pitched the spent wash.
[*]Repeated for the second batch except I preheated it to 165ish and stripped to 20%
[*]The distillate was clear but smelled of chemicals. I smelled sulphides and I don't know what else. I didn't write down the ABV but it was where the instructions said it should be.
[*]Diluted the distillate (low wines?) to about 40% (i.e. added them back to the still and topped it up to the full mark) and ran it again.
[*]Pulled and pitched 50ml
[*]Pulled 250ml for the heads.
[*]Pulled the next 500ml and couldn't really smell the difference.
[*]Pulled 800ml for hearts. There was little difference between the cuts to my nose.
[*]Cut the still off at 20%.
[*]Wound up with about 1200ml and 250 ml of heads that I saved. ABV was low though, about 55%. I corrected for the temperature, but that seems quite low to me.
It smells like alchohol and is drinkable, even without filtering. The rest is going into a batch of Black Sambuca.
Lessons learned:
[*]I need a glass container for my hydrometer.
[*]Patience! I think I got the "hurry up" out of my system.
[*]Check the math and log the OG, FG, and ABV readings. It ain't rocket science!
Next up: another batch of sugar wash, and a 5gal batch of corn flake wash.
Best,
e4g
