Discoloured vodka
8 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Discoloured vodka
I thought I'd got the neutral sugar wash ie pretend vodka Sussed
My vodka drinking pals think my stripped then double reflux then filtered is great ie tastes of nowt
So far so good
Now one of them wants 12 bottles (party ?) i'll see what I can do sez I
Found a couple of bottles made up a while back to make up the dozen but notice a yellowish tinge
What the he'll is it ?
I've had White floaters before ie calcium carbonate hard water etc but this is a bit odd
any ideas ?
My vodka drinking pals think my stripped then double reflux then filtered is great ie tastes of nowt
So far so good
Now one of them wants 12 bottles (party ?) i'll see what I can do sez I
Found a couple of bottles made up a while back to make up the dozen but notice a yellowish tinge
What the he'll is it ?
I've had White floaters before ie calcium carbonate hard water etc but this is a bit odd
any ideas ?

AT
-

Admiral Toad - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 883
- Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:27 pm
- Location: The far North
- Stills: pothead, BP column
Re: Discoloured vodka
Rust from the lid? Something leeching out of the lid? I can't think of anything else that would make vodka take on a colour.
Chuck
Chuck
-

chill - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1660
- Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
- Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
- Stills: Easy Still
Re: Discoloured vodka
How long is "a while back" perhaps its always been that colour but in those days you were not so critical.
I had one with a yellowish tinge on the strip run from a small puke.
I had one with a yellowish tinge on the strip run from a small puke.
- YHB
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 973
- Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:55 pm
Re: Discoloured vodka
I think chills touched on the answer I think it's the plastic topped push in corks that's doing it
Same age in a screw top litre bottle is fine but the couple on the rack or shaking around in car boot are tainted whereas the one in the drinks cupboard is ok too
Filter paper seems to solve it
But another lesson learned
Same age in a screw top litre bottle is fine but the couple on the rack or shaking around in car boot are tainted whereas the one in the drinks cupboard is ok too
Filter paper seems to solve it
But another lesson learned
AT
-

Admiral Toad - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 883
- Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:27 pm
- Location: The far North
- Stills: pothead, BP column
Re: Discoloured vodka
Admiral Toad wrote:...shaking around in car boot
Admiral's Finest - anytime, anyplace, anywhere, lol
-

Jimmy - Site Owner

- Posts: 736
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:18 pm
- Location: People's Republic of West Yorkshire
- Stills: T500
Re: Discoloured vodka
So that's what they mean when they say "that vintage does not travel well"
- YHB
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 973
- Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:55 pm
Re: Discoloured vodka
Vodka usually only get discoloured when it's put through a human filter
AM
AM

Almanac
- Almanac
- Senior Distiller

- Posts: 1847
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am
-

Admiral Toad - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 883
- Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:27 pm
- Location: The far North
- Stills: pothead, BP column
8 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Return to Aging and Flavouring
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest