Page 1 of 3

Thinking big!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:18 pm
by Robbo12
Ok I've got an 100 litre keg so i was thinking off doing a lentil wash if my calculations are correct if not then correct me so hear goes 80 litres of water ,1600g of red lentils 20kg of sugar and 320g of Allison's​ baker's yeast .

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:12 pm
by Easydrinker
Assuming that you have a 100l fermenter , or enough smaller.

IMO your sugar and water are close to what I would do, I might up the sugar to 24 kg...
Your yeast is kind of high, I use 50g in 25 litres.
And I have recently had no ill effect cutting back the lentils to 100g/25 litres.
That's a cheaper wash that seems to work just as fast.
Just sayin'.

Robert

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:34 pm
by Anavrin
Hi Robbo

I would keep the wash to 80litres, to give a little head space in the boiler, I use a 50 litre keg and never charge it with more than 40 litres.

It’s also gonna take a while to heat up, I would use 16 kg of sugar for 80 litres, which is inline with the amount you already suggested for a larger wash.

A problem you might have is getting the finished wash into the boiler, you’ll need some kind of pump, as it’ll be too heavy to move or lift by hand, I can just about safely manoeuvre and lift my 40 litre ones, and even then, only by following proper manual handling techniques so I don’t put my back out!

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:35 pm
by Robbo12
Ok Robert i will go with that.

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:39 pm
by Robbo12
I was thinking of doing it in batches because i have a t500 so would do in 25 litre batches.

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:00 am
by Easydrinker
I am now confused.
Are you planning on using your 100 litre keg to ferment in?
And distill with a T500?
And the mention of batches now confuses me more from your OP.
But, hey, questions are questions.
And someone here may have the answers ;)

Robert.

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:02 am
by Robbo12
The keg I'm using has been made into a fermentation keg just to clear any confusion.

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:03 am
by Robbo12
Yes Robert just getting giddy with all this :D

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:50 am
by Easydrinker
I see no problem with a big ferment and numerous distillations.
I will stick with the first advise that I posted.
Good luck with the brew, ferment and distillation.

Robert.

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:52 am
by Mash
Boy you have had a sugar rush. Lol. I your comment.

Couple of things spring to mind. Caravan "whale" pumps on the end of ½ inch hose are very good & cheap.

If there is going to be a delay between stilling sessions, you might want to consider keeping the wash going with a few spoons full of sugar.

My thinking...
By the time you get to the last (fourth) run then it's a big airspace in the fermenter. If this is 4 days it probably doesn't matter. If it is 4 weeks it will get into trouble.
A finished wash is a sugar wine. Nothing more, nothing less. Would you expect a bottle of wine that's been open for four weeks to be ok? No.
A bit if extra sugar will keep the wash slightly active & producing co2 which will provide a protective blanket on top of the wash.

Word of caution. Where are to doing this? Co2 in quality can kill. Keep well ventilated and away from pets/children.

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:59 am
by Mash
Ps. You don't need quite that much yeast. Use 2 tins. There is also a benefit if you rehydrate it properly. It makes a difference 8)

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:22 am
by Robbo12
Once it's fermented and cleared I'm looking at doing it over 4 days and collect my neutral then putting back through my still and collecting and making cuts.

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:35 pm
by gaza the instructor
I run 3x25ltr washes at a time. Just find it easier
to move if needed and as Mash said keeps it fresh.
Also if you do have a problem with one wash, you
still(hopefully) have two other healthy washes to
still.

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:32 pm
by Robbo12
Ok thanks for the info.

Re: Thinking big!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:48 am
by RumJohn
@Robbo. I am running 90 L washes, 22kg dark brown sugar, 150 gr yeast. You have flexibiliy with a sugar wash. Find what works for you and run with that.