Which column to use??

The distillation process itself

Which column to use??

Postby Icefever » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:28 am

This subject has had me thinking for a while now, the reason being I'm half way though a 3" column build. Because I seem to have fallen into making rum as our main drink, I just use the pothead I made a few years back.

Now I must admit I've done both single & double runs with the rum washes, but never done a side by side taste test. We have to admit that not everyone has the same taste buds, it would be a very dull world indeed.

What I trying to get at is how do we know we're getting the best from our kit and the way we run them. I know some guys do a single run because it says somewhere that "the big boys do it"....do they???

Then you read that a plated column is better than a pot still for rum, how do we know???
I've never had a rum from a plated column...not as far as I know...unless the big boys use them. :D :D

I'm going to sit down my heads spinning.. ???
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
User avatar
Icefever
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Kingdom of Mercia

Re: Which column to use??

Postby Anavrin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:54 am

The bottle I gave you was first stripped on a pot and then run through 3x4" bubbles plates for the spirit run, plates help separate compounds during the run, pushing heads out first and compressing the tails out last, giving a bigger cleaner hearts cut in the middle.

The more plates you use the more compressed the heads and tails are either side of your hearts.

That's why for flavoured spirit only 3-4 plates are commonly used, you can use more but guys who do end up adding some late heads and early tails to their hearts collection to get some flavour back.
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Re: Which column to use??

Postby Icefever » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:21 am

Anavrin wrote: That's why for flavoured spirit only 3-4 plates are commonly used, you can use more but guys who do end up adding some late heads and early tails to their hearts collection to get some flavour back.



I have my torpedo that I can fit....this is one of the reasons why I've made a thumper.
As I understand a thumper is equal to one if not two plates.

I think this will be my setup for the next run...watch this space.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
User avatar
Icefever
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Kingdom of Mercia

Re: Which column to use??

Postby Anavrin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

I think a traditional rum still uses a pot with two thumpers, building another one might be ideal, you could use the torpedo and one thumper but you will then need some reflux for the plate in the torpedo to get the best out of it, have you got a dephlagmator or cooling cool you can add in the column?

Another thumper might be the cheaper option, as the torpedo is 2" on each end, to get the best out of your 3" column in terms of litres per hour with the torpedo, you would need to add some reflux cooling and use 3" connections on the torpedo.

I only use the top half of my torpedo these days, I built a keg with a 4" ferrule on it so additional bubble sections and the top half of the torpedo can be connected directly, also the bottom half of the torpedo works perfectly with my 2" stripping column as a reducer from the keg to my column.

Here's a link to the SD Rum distillery https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sUZSqoFRZYA

It's almost rum distilling porn! Lol
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Re: Which column to use??

Postby Myles » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:15 am

The traditional Caribbean process does indeed involve the use of two thumpers. However, this isn't so much for re-distillation instead it is mainly to do with FLAVOUR.

Their terminology is different but in effect you have wash in the boiler, diluted heads in one thumper and diluted tails in the other. Or any other flavour components that you wish to add.
User avatar
Myles
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Which column to use??

Postby Brewhunter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:37 pm

Anavrin wrote:I think a traditional rum still uses a pot with two thumpers, building another one might be ideal, you could use the torpedo and one thumper but you will then need some reflux for the plate in the torpedo to get the best out of it, have you got a dephlagmator or cooling cool you can add in the column?

Another thumper might be the cheaper option, as the torpedo is 2" on each end, to get the best out of your 3" column in terms of litres per hour with the torpedo, you would need to add some reflux cooling and use 3" connections on the torpedo.

I only use the top half of my torpedo these days, I built a keg with a 4" ferrule on it so additional bubble sections and the top half of the torpedo can be connected directly, also the bottom half of the torpedo works perfectly with my 2" stripping column as a reducer from the keg to my column.

Here's a link to the SD Rum distillery https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sUZSqoFRZYA

It's almost rum distilling porn! Lol


What do you mean almost ;D
User avatar
Brewhunter
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:40 pm
Stills: T500 + Airstill

Re: Which column to use??

Postby Icefever » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:58 am

@ Anavrin. ....Cheers mate I'll watch this in full when I'm home. Phones too small at the moment.

@ Myles. ..its flavour that I'm after..Now I'm thinking a second thumper may be the way to go.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
User avatar
Icefever
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Kingdom of Mercia


Return to Distillation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest