yeast
25 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Re: yeast
You really don't need to credit pics here, especially one which is basically an advert. We are a bunch of pirates, but please do check copyright on text material before cutting and pasting to this site.
Linking to it is another matter, and generally allowed.
Robert.
Linking to it is another matter, and generally allowed.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: yeast
Yeast is a funny business. I buy some at £5/kg which is fantastic and also some at £60/kg also fantastic. For different jobs.
£17 is middle of the road. That said, for kale wash £5/kg is my favourite. However as a gift. Brilliant.
I am sure it will deliver the goods & @ 50g per go, makes you a lot of booze.
The only thing you might notice is final flavour might not be as nuetral as a bread yeast.
It states of the label there is no nutrition so it's a fair guess there is no enzymes either. So what makes it a strain specific to distilling can only be it origins.
There website didn't fill me with confidence either..
Keep us posted.
Correct rehydration helps any dried yeast get off to a good start.
£17 is middle of the road. That said, for kale wash £5/kg is my favourite. However as a gift. Brilliant.
I am sure it will deliver the goods & @ 50g per go, makes you a lot of booze.
The only thing you might notice is final flavour might not be as nuetral as a bread yeast.
It states of the label there is no nutrition so it's a fair guess there is no enzymes either. So what makes it a strain specific to distilling can only be it origins.
There website didn't fill me with confidence either..
Keep us posted.
Correct rehydration helps any dried yeast get off to a good start.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: yeast
We probably do, it's finding the strain.
Works like roses. Lots of different colours, heights, resistance to nn, prefers shade, bigger blooms etc etc.
One "tall red rose" from a garden centre will not be identical to another 2 miles down the road.
Works like roses. Lots of different colours, heights, resistance to nn, prefers shade, bigger blooms etc etc.
One "tall red rose" from a garden centre will not be identical to another 2 miles down the road.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: yeast
Looks like we need Jimmy to open a gardening section here?
What I know of roses can be written on the back of a postage stamp.
Robert
What I know of roses can be written on the back of a postage stamp.
Robert
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: yeast
I did it in one 'post' 

email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: yeast
I emailed the manufacturer direct and they replied with the following email,
“This is a high quality, high alcohol and temperature tolerant yeast.
Packaging sizes: 800g and 10kg.
For best results we would advise using our yeast nutrient VitaNutrient.
Packaging sizes: 1kg and 10kg.
25g Dry Active Distillers Yeast + 100g VitaNutrient will ferment 8.5kg sugar in total volume of wash 25L and make 19-20%.
Kind regards,
Garffen Ltd
I think given the size of the 10kg package it’s for commercial application.
Anyway will give it a go but think I will back of the sugar a bit !
“This is a high quality, high alcohol and temperature tolerant yeast.
Packaging sizes: 800g and 10kg.
For best results we would advise using our yeast nutrient VitaNutrient.
Packaging sizes: 1kg and 10kg.
25g Dry Active Distillers Yeast + 100g VitaNutrient will ferment 8.5kg sugar in total volume of wash 25L and make 19-20%.
Kind regards,
Garffen Ltd
I think given the size of the 10kg package it’s for commercial application.
Anyway will give it a go but think I will back of the sugar a bit !
-

daren - Newcomer
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:56 pm
Re: yeast
Yeah it might do 8.5 kg - but how long will it take.
I would try 5kg and run it a 25/28c see how that does.
I would try 5kg and run it a 25/28c see how that does.
Last edited by Mash on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: yeast
Garffen Ltd quote some big numbers there.
If I had this stuff to use, I would probably cut back on the sugar, increase the yeast X 6 and add a bag of Lentils and 100g of Sultanas/Raisins.
And if it got to 14% in two weeks I would announce a second xmas.
But that is me
If you go the route advised by Garffen Ltd , please do keep a photo diary,else I ain't gonna believe you
Robert.
If I had this stuff to use, I would probably cut back on the sugar, increase the yeast X 6 and add a bag of Lentils and 100g of Sultanas/Raisins.
And if it got to 14% in two weeks I would announce a second xmas.
But that is me
If you go the route advised by Garffen Ltd , please do keep a photo diary,else I ain't gonna believe you
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: yeast
They are not saying how long. This is not a turbo yeast.
So 19-20 might be achievable - but how long? 4-6-8 weeks.
I wouldn't mind testing some.
So 19-20 might be achievable - but how long? 4-6-8 weeks.
I wouldn't mind testing some.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
25 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


