stuck ferments
7 posts
• Page 1 of 1
stuck ferments
Just putting a wheat wash on and had a thought.
Does everyone make sure that the sugar is completely.. 100% .. dissolved.
I have always understood that this would cause a ferment to stick.
Does everyone make sure that the sugar is completely.. 100% .. dissolved.
I have always understood that this would cause a ferment to stick.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: stuck ferments
I always fully disolve my sugar, it always goes in the bucket first followed by boiling water and a good still until it's all disolved.
I'm not clear on you question about stuck ferments, do you mean fully disolved can cause stuck ferments or if it's not fully disolved?
I'm not clear on you question about stuck ferments, do you mean fully disolved can cause stuck ferments or if it's not fully disolved?
- Anavrin
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 1468
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
- Location: By the Sea
- Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash
Re: stuck ferments
Not a question really.. more a thought or comment. We have had some posts recently about stuck ferments. We often look at yeast, aspiration, PH ... What about sugar!
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: stuck ferments
Mashy wrote:Not a question really.. more a thought or comment. We have had some posts recently about stuck ferments. We often look at yeast, aspiration, PH ... What about sugar!
shouldn't make any difference i.e. unless you've got a stupidly high gravity causing osmotic shock to the yeast.
which, with this, normally isn't an issue.
Presuming the person mixing the batch is aware of the guidance/suggestion about not being greedy when it comes to the finished ferment and alcohol level of it...
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: stuck ferments
I use warm water and give it a good stir, but I am certain that there is undissolved sugar at the bottom of my fermentor when I pitch the yeast. Fermentation proceeds the same as when I boiled the whole mess.
Chuck
Chuck
-

chill - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1660
- Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
- Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
- Stills: Easy Still
Re: stuck ferments
If you have ever done this a few times,then you know a sugar lump is possible in a wash,especially if the sugar has been stored in damp conditions,and not broken up.
I can see that causing a slow,but not stuck ferment.
Just my two pennorth.
Robert.
I can see that causing a slow,but not stuck ferment.
Just my two pennorth.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: stuck ferments
If you ever make a wine which contains some fruit pulp in a demijohn or other clear fermenter then you will see that pulp rising and falling in what has become known as the lava lamp effect.
When you have an active fermentation then the liquid is constantly circulating as the gas bubbles rise.
In short, the bucket stirs itself, so I have never been too concerned about a little undissolved sugar, although it will affect your ability to measure an accurate Original Gravity.
When you have an active fermentation then the liquid is constantly circulating as the gas bubbles rise.
In short, the bucket stirs itself, so I have never been too concerned about a little undissolved sugar, although it will affect your ability to measure an accurate Original Gravity.
-

GrunthosTheFlatulent - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 166
- Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:44 am
- Location: English Midlands
7 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest
