Page 1 of 1

Oak Essance??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:02 pm
by Andy
My LHBS offered some SS Oak as an alternative to chips.

It smelt nice but..............

Anybody tried??

Oak Essance??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:28 pm
by hic52
Andy have tried it, smells ok but a strange taste to it, have gone down the route of chips now and they seem to add a less chemical taste.

Oak Essance??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:17 pm
by Opus 27
It\'s intended for use in the Whisky Profile Kit not for any thing else. Stick with the chips or better still the chunks.
Opus 27

Oak Essance??

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:12 am
by Andy
Thanks guys.

Oak Essance??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:07 pm
by spiritueuse
I\'ve used SS Top Shelf Premium French Oak in a trial of making a Calavados type of drink from apple wine that I made earlier this year. I added 5 ml per 75 cl to the distillate and left it for a couple of weeks and the result is quite good, although I probably should have distilled it twice for a smoother result. I\'ll be having another trial with some more apples I have stored in a freezer

Re: Oak Essance??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:35 pm
by short2
Hi Andy , Just seen your post. That comes in as was said above with the whisky profile kit. I have used them both and I can say stick with the wood chips. I have run out of profile B which is the main one in the kit as far as profiles go . The result is I have been experimenting with the remainder in neutral spirits. Some good some bad. I am doing Oak without the flavours and I have clear Oak toasted Oak all on the go at the moment. I am happy with the results so far. I have used some of the left over profile kit to augment my trials. Trouble is I forget what is what now as I got too pissed sampling. Anyway I recomend the wood and as your more experienced at this game than me I am sure you have sussed it out before now. Especially having a barrel to taste. By the way I have Oak in sherry now and Will let you know the outcome. I am leaving the turbos out for the time being and invasting in Maze Oats and Barley etc. Doing a potato Vodka at the moment as that has been my main disapointment since I started the hobby. The girls say my vodka is crap. My new email address will be sent in due course. Cheers