Page 2 of 2

Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:45 pm
by Myles
Just ordered that book from Amazon to add to my library. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:20 pm
by ITMA
Does anybody think there might be some truth in this fire risk rumour?

I can't help wondering why the manufacturers are SO reluctant to recommend double distilling. And people like the LoveBrewing guy (who reckons he's an expert on distilling) has NEVER even suggested a double distil is possible on the AirStill - and he says for example that the Barrel 674 (whiskey from malt extract) can only be done on the Alembic. I know that's not true because I'm now drinking the barrel 674 from my very own airstill.

I wonder if the fear of the manufacturer is that some drongo is going to put some 60% spirit in for a second run so they avoid all talk of running high strength alcohol in the still.

iMake aren't stupid so there must be some underlying reason....guess I could ask them!

Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:59 pm
by Icefever
@ Robert...may I suggest you lock this thread....there's just something about it that does not ring true.

The last post from the OP poster is.....

Last visited: Thu Jan 18, 2018, 6:43 pm

Anyone with this limited knowledge should not consider running a craft still until they have grasped the basics on stilling.

ALSO.........

ITMA wrote:Does anybody think there might be some truth in this fire risk rumour?

YES IT'S TRUE...The vapour will go "BOOM" If there a naked flame anywhere near.

I can't help wondering why the manufacturers are SO reluctant to recommend double distilling. And people like the LoveBrewing guy (who reckons he's an expert on distilling) has NEVER even suggested a double distil is possible on the AirStill


I give up........... ??? ::)

Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:44 pm
by H12rpo
As an aside ....at £8.62 to the excise man per 750ml bottle of 40% spirit, it’s frankly a wonder how anyone can make it a commercial success

Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:57 pm
by Easydrinker
Ice, I agree that this has been an odd thread from the start.
I currently propose to keep it active for a couple of reasons.
The first is educative.

Anyone proposing a rectifying business that cannot afford to buy in neutral spirit and believes that HMRC will grant them a much harder to obtain distilling licence really needs to look at the facts, wake up and smell the coffee.

Another is that any vaguely intelligent person that has ever owned an Air Still and found this site has been given good advice on double distilling.
It is one of the reasons that I persist, to try and keep people safe.

I will add that at least once, most of us will have tried to go as high in % as we could!
I think I hit 85% once before quitting that game.

Robert.

Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:13 pm
by ITMA
Icefever wrote:
I can't help wondering why the manufacturers are SO reluctant to recommend double distilling. And people like the LoveBrewing guy (who reckons he's an expert on distilling) has NEVER even suggested a double distil is possible on the AirStill


I give up........... ??? ::)[/quote]

I think you misinterpret my probably badly written post. I'm not saying the still is likely to catch fire or anything, I'm musing that maybe the manufacturers are frightened of recomming double distilling etc in cast a newbie muppet forgets to reduce abv before a spirit run. Just a musing, nothing to see here, move on.

Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:55 pm
by Easydrinker
Just wading in to say that Icefever and ITMA may, or may not be perceived to be at loggerheads here.
I say not, and will let this point slide in the thread. ;)

Robert.

Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 am
by hampk
I think the manufacturers don’t advocate double distilling because it makes their product less appealing - *how* much work for a drink?

For the uninitiated taste-bud impaired novices wandering into the local HBS it makes perfect sense.

Follow the instructions and get cheap, foul-tasting booze in short order.

Alternatively, learn how to use an Airstill effectively, and the results can be really quite palatable.

Horses for courses.

Cheers

Hampk

Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:33 am
by Mash
You my have not the mail on the head there.

The truth however interesting is irrelevant to making sales.

Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:17 am
by ITMA
hampk wrote:I think the manufacturers don’t advocate double distilling because it makes their product less appealing - *how* much work for a drink?

For the uninitiated taste-bud impaired novices wandering into the local HBS it makes perfect sense.

Follow the instructions and get cheap, foul-tasting booze in short order.

Alternatively, learn how to use an Airstill effectively, and the results can be really quite palatable.

Horses for courses.

Cheers

Hampk


Definitely correct. Imake are a marketing company first and foremost. I don't know why I've been so puzzled about it, for years homebrew kits have come with instructions guaranteed to make a bad product ('ready in 5 days!') it's the same thing here.