My Stills turned into a monster!!!!
4 posts
• Page 1 of 1
My Stills turned into a monster!!!!
Ok not quite a monster but between each spirit run (about 6 weeks as I strip four 25lt wash's first) I tinker with it in search of perfection, this is the latest incarnation, I've added a few bits I bought from StillDragon, I got some coloured hose for the cooling pipes and some thermo tee's with temperature sensors so I can monitor the temp of the cooling water through my Liebig and boka coil, I've also fitted two valves so I can independently control the cooling flow to both, I'll be adjusting the liebig to output spirit at 20°c and the boka coil to as hot as I can go without any vapour escaping the top cap, the later will hopefully help compress heads, here's a few pics






Next job after this next spirit run will be to take a hacksaw to it in order to fit some 2" tri-clamp ferrels to all the connecting parts so I can add a Dephlegmator between the packed column and the VM take off.
I use the boka slant plates and boka takeoff for fores/heads collection then switch to the VM takeoff for the hearts.
Next job after this next spirit run will be to take a hacksaw to it in order to fit some 2" tri-clamp ferrels to all the connecting parts so I can add a Dephlegmator between the packed column and the VM take off.
I use the boka slant plates and boka takeoff for fores/heads collection then switch to the VM takeoff for the hearts.
- Anavrin
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 1468
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
- Location: By the Sea
- Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash
Re: My Stills turned into a monster!!!!
It's going to be a pain in the ass to set up and take down again!!
- Anavrin
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 1468
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
- Location: By the Sea
- Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash
Re: My Stills turned into a monster!!!!
OK! Too much anal retention, let's take a step back, relax, breathe, take a few Anavrin and I'll get back to you in the morning
You need a lot less control and then everything will be alright
AM
You need a lot less control and then everything will be alright
AM
Almanac
- Almanac
- Senior Distiller

- Posts: 1847
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am
Re: My Stills turned into a monster!!!!
Lol, it is a bit anal I agree on that, but ive set it up this way so I can have a play with everything when I run it next, it's already filled with 23 litres of 50% strip, proofed down to 30% = 38 litres
I'm thinking the coolings going to be tricky to initially get set up properly, as adjusting the liebig water flow will affect the water flow in the boka coil and vice versa.
My main problem has been too much smearing of heads through the first 3-4 litres, I've always just run the boka coil on full cooling but after asking a question on here a while back I realised many people run the boka cooling much lower, I want be able to really concentrate the heads into less than 2-3 litres, I don't worry too much about tails as I only strip down to 30% and last time I run it, I run out of collection jars and got bored before any sign of tails.
I'm thinking the coolings going to be tricky to initially get set up properly, as adjusting the liebig water flow will affect the water flow in the boka coil and vice versa.
My main problem has been too much smearing of heads through the first 3-4 litres, I've always just run the boka coil on full cooling but after asking a question on here a while back I realised many people run the boka cooling much lower, I want be able to really concentrate the heads into less than 2-3 litres, I don't worry too much about tails as I only strip down to 30% and last time I run it, I run out of collection jars and got bored before any sign of tails.
- Anavrin
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 1468
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
- Location: By the Sea
- Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash
4 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
