Page 1 of 1

The use of JD BBQ Chunks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:35 am
by Almanac
Under Ageing and Flavouring, in the thread called 'Nuclear Whiskey/etc., YHB wrote: "When you think about it, both the M&S and the JD chips are sold “fit for purpose” the purpose that they are sold for is burning, with no guarantees that they are fit for anything else."

This got me thinking about my history in using JD BBQ Chunks over the past few years!

Looking back I have been a strong supporter of the use of these chunks for the purpose of producing a quick turnaround, palatable, sour mash type spirit.

On occasion I have put White Neutral on a batch of these chunks and, within a few days, was presented with a dark ruby liquor that tasted akin to Knob Creek or Booker Noe's Bourbon rather than Sour Mash. On other occasions I got a return that tasted of wood mold and sawdust. However, on balance, the incidence of non-drinkable spirits was rare while the 'quality' of product made using these chunks varied wildly. ::)

Given all this I think I may have been a little blinkered in terms of not wanting to see the obvious which is what YHB's post points to and cannot be ignored. That is that the JD chunks some of us have been using for making faux Sour Mash are fit for purpose - Barbeque purpose. :D

AM 8)

Re: The use of JD BBQ Chunks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:51 pm
by amaark
AM

You just re-label Bourbon-esque spirit "AM's BBQ Tipple" or "AM's Flamin' A&%$holes," that way it's labelled for purpose as well. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Re: The use of JD BBQ Chunks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:57 pm
by FullySilenced
I have not used JD chunks or barrel staves... Chips have been what i tested with other than cherry or apple chips. I have ordered in some charred dominoes and have tried the spirals.

I mostly just use the chips and rinse them off with tap water before i put em in the jar... not really had any issues, but they are bbq chips and still work well for that purpose when i filter them out of the jars... :D

Re: The use of JD BBQ Chunks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:27 pm
by Almanac
Amaark: all my stuff off JD chunks, not that there's much of it finished, is gone for recycling ;D

Most of my spirits are still stored as neutral.

FS: I'm definitely converted to virgin oak only. I've had some great stuff off JD Chunks but it only takes one bad one with an insecticide or other toxin on it to turn things inside out :-[

AM 8)

Re: The use of JD BBQ Chunks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:21 pm
by FullySilenced
your airing to the side of caution.... i can understand that

if it worries you it worries you, and so forth

Re: The use of JD BBQ Chunks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:21 am
by Almanac
Yeah! But using toasted virgin AWO works for me....now!

AM 8)