Using backset
5 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Using backset
Hi Guys
How many of you use backset from the boiler to add to your next wash, I did it with a rum wash I stripped the other day and used 10 litres, 5 litres each into two 25 litre washes, funny thing was, one wash started ok and the other didn't, I used the same yeast and each was identical.
I had to mix the two together, airiate and pitch some more yeast, now they are both ok.
But it's got me thinking about using backset, is it best to use it directly after a strip run or would it be best to allow it to cool and settle?
How many of you use backset from the boiler to add to your next wash, I did it with a rum wash I stripped the other day and used 10 litres, 5 litres each into two 25 litre washes, funny thing was, one wash started ok and the other didn't, I used the same yeast and each was identical.
I had to mix the two together, airiate and pitch some more yeast, now they are both ok.
But it's got me thinking about using backset, is it best to use it directly after a strip run or would it be best to allow it to cool and settle?
- Anavrin
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 1468
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
- Location: By the Sea
- Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash
Re: Using backset
If you are going to dissolve sugar it makes sense to use it hot. Other than that store it but keep it sanitary.
I have only ever used it from the strip run and have only used it before the next fermentation.
I have only ever used it from the strip run and have only used it before the next fermentation.
-

Myles - Master Distiller

- Posts: 692
- Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm
Re: Using backset
Agree. Use it ASAP.
For keeping it sanitary use metabisuphite to 50 ppm and keep it airtight. 1 Campden tablet per gallon would do it.... Or freeze.
For keeping it sanitary use metabisuphite to 50 ppm and keep it airtight. 1 Campden tablet per gallon would do it.... Or freeze.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Using backset
I've used it...5 ltr in a 23 ltr wash....my thoughts on your slow wash, could it be the ph??
I take a ph reading when it's cooled just before I pitch the yeast. If it's around 4.5/5.5 I leave it alone.
I add 5 ltr (hot) straight from the boiler onto the trub, give it a swill around.
add more GS or sugar to help it thin.
Then fill to 18 ltr with cool water, take the temp..adjust the rest of the water to near 32c/34c...ph reading...yeast.
I take a ph reading when it's cooled just before I pitch the yeast. If it's around 4.5/5.5 I leave it alone.
I add 5 ltr (hot) straight from the boiler onto the trub, give it a swill around.
add more GS or sugar to help it thin.
Then fill to 18 ltr with cool water, take the temp..adjust the rest of the water to near 32c/34c...ph reading...yeast.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
-

Icefever - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 2407
- Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
- Location: Kingdom of Mercia
Re: Using backset
I do it same as ice, 10L backset in a 50L wash, if I use more backset it tends to stall.
After about 4 generations it also tends to slow down.
After about 4 generations it also tends to slow down.
-

Capt-Cudellez - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 1139
- Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:22 am
- Location: Scotland
- Stills: SS VM, Stripper, Pot
5 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
