Page 1 of 1

UJSSM / Bourbon Knock Off

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:07 pm
by Runningman
Hi Guys
Do any of you guys add anything other than oak sticks to your UJSSM / Bourbon Knock Ofs. I think I might have seen someone adding Maple Syrup but I'm not too sue.
Any advice realy appreciated.
regards
Runningman

Re: UJSSM / Bourbon Knock Off

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:13 pm
by knobby
Hi Runningman

I use a little maple syrup now and again. It does tend to mellow out the "bite" and depending on your preference makes it ideal for a sipping bourbon. Only use a little to start off and taste, if required add a little more. I personally add 15ml to a litre, some may think its a little too much but each o their own.

Cheers
Knobby

Re: UJSSM / Bourbon Knock Off

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 am
by Runningman
Hi Knobby
Thanks for that. I took the plunge last night and added 10mls to a litre and it did smooth the bite off. thanks again.
Regards
Runningman

Re: UJSSM / Bourbon Knock Off

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:06 pm
by Almanac
I too use a little Maple from time to time but can I suggest if you're getting 'bite' perhaps an adjustment in your cuts to remove a little more of the late heads might make a difference without adding sweetness but the Maple does make it really nice for sipping. ;D

AM 8)

Re: UJSSM / Bourbon Knock Off

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:12 pm
by Jimmy
Currently putting a teaspoon of maple syrup and a capful of (decent) vanilla essence into my JD knockoff, per litre at the bottling stage. Works for me!

Re: UJSSM / Bourbon Knock Off

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:44 pm
by Almanac
You should try Vanilla Extract instead Jimmy - the difference is huge. Better still is to add a split vanilla pod to the spirit while its on the oak - bit more expensive but great ;D ;D

AM 8)

Re: UJSSM / Bourbon Knock Off

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 pm
by Jimmy
Yeah, it's the posh stuff I use not the supermarket drivel but if I could be bothered, I'd use the proper stuff! :)