Compounding my run of bad luck...
8 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Compounding my run of bad luck...
So within two days, the concealed element on my multi-purpose boiler burned out, and I Knocked the Essencia over, breaking both filter connections.
Dealing with the boiler here, some may find it an interesting read.
So, the boiler is not completely dead, it outputs around 340 Watts instead of 3000 at full power.
Not being in a state to plan a rebuild, and the only supplier of a swap in unit being a questionable supplier in Germany, I went with what I had.
I had never lagged the silly still for strips before, but having now done so, a nice steady 14 hours did the job instead of the usual 4.
I walked away and left it to do it's thing.
Spirit run with the very silly still was kind of similar, I lagged the boiler and slightly less pipe lagging on it's column, it took about 3 times the old time, but so gentle that I wandered off and pottered with other stuff.
This cost the usual amount of electricity per run, it just took longer.
The end product seems to be as expected.
It has been run thru my lashed together filter, but that is a post in another thread, maybe tomorrow.
Robert.
Dealing with the boiler here, some may find it an interesting read.
So, the boiler is not completely dead, it outputs around 340 Watts instead of 3000 at full power.
Not being in a state to plan a rebuild, and the only supplier of a swap in unit being a questionable supplier in Germany, I went with what I had.
I had never lagged the silly still for strips before, but having now done so, a nice steady 14 hours did the job instead of the usual 4.
I walked away and left it to do it's thing.
Spirit run with the very silly still was kind of similar, I lagged the boiler and slightly less pipe lagging on it's column, it took about 3 times the old time, but so gentle that I wandered off and pottered with other stuff.
This cost the usual amount of electricity per run, it just took longer.
The end product seems to be as expected.
It has been run thru my lashed together filter, but that is a post in another thread, maybe tomorrow.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...
Oh my. Is just replacing the element not an option.
Looking forward to the next episode.
Looking forward to the next episode.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...
Easydrinker wrote:So within two days, the concealed element on my multi-purpose boiler burned out, and I Knocked the Essencia over, breaking both filter connections.
Dealing with the boiler here, some may find it an interesting read.
So, the boiler is not completely dead, it outputs around 340 Watts instead of 3000 at full power.
Not being in a state to plan a rebuild, and the only supplier of a swap in unit being a questionable supplier in Germany, I went with what I had.
I had never lagged the silly still for strips before, but having now done so, a nice steady 14 hours did the job instead of the usual 4.![]()
I walked away and left it to do it's thing.
Spirit run with the very silly still was kind of similar, I lagged the boiler and slightly less pipe lagging on it's column, it took about 3 times the old time, but so gentle that I wandered off and pottered with other stuff.
This cost the usual amount of electricity per run, it just took longer.
The end product seems to be as expected.
It has been run thru my lashed together filter, but that is a post in another thread, maybe tomorrow.
Robert.
oh dear Robert we have had a bad day !!!!
one of my older post on here may be of use with the filter as i snapped my carbon part and the repair is spot on have a look it should help .
-

ninja_geezer - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
- Location: Planet Earth
Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4677
this may help Robert.
this may help Robert.
-

ninja_geezer - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
- Location: Planet Earth
Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...
The heating elements are tack welded to the outer of the SS base, beyond my talents to source and fix.
Still, no pun intended, deciding between a straight boiler swap and a new build boiler and chopping the columns.
The expired boiler is a very low and squat profile, just what I need for the space that it has to inhabit.
I will post about the Essencia in the Filtering section.
Robert.
Still, no pun intended, deciding between a straight boiler swap and a new build boiler and chopping the columns.
The expired boiler is a very low and squat profile, just what I need for the space that it has to inhabit.
I will post about the Essencia in the Filtering section.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...
These tacked on one's are a proper pita. If you try and get it off you can damage the vessel.
Can you drill the side and install a kettle element?
Can you drill the side and install a kettle element?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...
Mash wrote:
Can you drill the side and install a kettle element?
I prolly could, but it would be a recipe for disaster when using the same boiler as a wash tun for all grain!
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Compounding my run of bad luck...
Good news. You have a new stainless fermenter then.
You could replace it with one of these German mash boilers then, make your AG easier.
https://www.expondo.de/royal-catering-b ... -watt-1891
You could replace it with one of these German mash boilers then, make your AG easier.
https://www.expondo.de/royal-catering-b ... -watt-1891
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
8 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest