Freeze Stripping Problems.
36 posts
• Page 2 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
Re: Freeze Stripping Problems.
Got you. I was not thinking spirit hydrometer.
They all work on density. Sugar makes it thicker, spirit thinner. Calibrated accordingly.
I use a refractometer for all but finishing point. Which would also help in this case.
They all work on density. Sugar makes it thicker, spirit thinner. Calibrated accordingly.
I use a refractometer for all but finishing point. Which would also help in this case.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Freeze Stripping Problems.
I found a webpage that yields some interesting information here http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethanol-water-d_989.html.
The implication from this is that a 30% concentration will be solid at -15 Celsius - ergo the fraction you are getting will be less in volume and higher in strength.
Mash's technique of catching the 'thaw' is one way of getting the missing bits back, or simply increase the temperature of your freezer..
Happy to stand corrected!
Cheers
Hampk
The implication from this is that a 30% concentration will be solid at -15 Celsius - ergo the fraction you are getting will be less in volume and higher in strength.
Mash's technique of catching the 'thaw' is one way of getting the missing bits back, or simply increase the temperature of your freezer..
Happy to stand corrected!
Cheers
Hampk
-

hampk - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 369
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
- Location: A hill with a view
- Stills: Airstill
Re: Freeze Stripping Problems.
Blimey - does that mean then -15 is the sweet spot.
My freezer is -15 and I have proved a couple of times that there is nothing left 0%ALC once I invert and drain to a bucket full.
I have been researching temp [of was] at the point of being paced in the freezer. To see if that was the issue (warmer stuff freezes quicker) thus less ice crystal formation - hence entrapment of Alc ?? Colder stuff freezes slower. More crystal. More open ice.
My freezer is -15 and I have proved a couple of times that there is nothing left 0%ALC once I invert and drain to a bucket full.
I have been researching temp [of was] at the point of being paced in the freezer. To see if that was the issue (warmer stuff freezes quicker) thus less ice crystal formation - hence entrapment of Alc ?? Colder stuff freezes slower. More crystal. More open ice.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Freeze Stripping Problems.
Mash wrote:I have been researching temp [of was] at the point of being paced in the freezer. To see if that was the issue (warmer stuff freezes quicker) thus less ice crystal formation - hence entrapment of Alc ?? Colder stuff freezes slower. More crystal. More open ice.
Extrapolating that theory, you could boil the wash before freezing it. Oh, hang on, that's stripping the wash, isn't it?!
Honestly, I don't believe the temp of the wash when it goes in the freezer will have any noticeable effect on events.
Happy to stand corrected again!
Cheers
Hampk
-

hampk - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 369
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
- Location: A hill with a view
- Stills: Airstill
Re: Freeze Stripping Problems.
Mash wrote:Blimey - does that mean then -15 is the sweet spot.
My freezer is -15 and I have proved a couple of times that there is nothing left 0%ALC once I invert and drain to a bucket full.
I have been researching temp [of was] at the point of being paced in the freezer. To see if that was the issue (warmer stuff freezes quicker) thus less ice crystal formation - hence entrapment of Alc ?? Colder stuff freezes slower. More crystal. More open ice.
That seems needlessly nerdy to me.
But WTF do I know?
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Freeze Stripping Problems.
A warmer wash will (I think) freeze more unevenly as in outside first while inside retains heat, so it seems to me like a cooler starting point would enable more alcohol extraction as the alcohol will be evenly distributed from inside to outside at a certain level of your bucket. I am open to being told that the alcohol will go to the centre as the water on the outside freezes.
I will also leave it to others to say whether alcohol "sinks" or "swims" to some extent within solution and so whether inversion is helpful.
I will also leave it to others to say whether alcohol "sinks" or "swims" to some extent within solution and so whether inversion is helpful.
-

Curmudgeon - Master Distiller

- Posts: 521
- Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
- Stills: pot head
Re: Freeze Stripping Problems.
It is fine, stick the needle in my eye, I am lost anyway.Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Freeze Stripping Problems.
Temperature of wash warm (15c) or chilled (1c) will freeze at different speeds. Chilled will freeze slower this creating crystals, which I think could be important for draining!
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Freeze Stripping Problems.
So, if intending freeze stripping, is it best then to chill wash prior freezing?
I seldom take myself seriously....
-

packapoo - Master Distiller

- Posts: 690
- Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
- Location: Marton, New Zealand
- Stills: Amphora PDA-1
Re: Freeze Stripping Problems.
Yes. I think so.
Warmer temperatures seem to have a runaway effect, as they drop they seem to accelerate through zero. Momentum if you like.
Chilled temperatures seem to take much longer.
Warmer temperatures seem to have a runaway effect, as they drop they seem to accelerate through zero. Momentum if you like.
Chilled temperatures seem to take much longer.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Freeze Stripping Problems.
I cant seem to find any chest freezers that go any lower that -10 will they be ok ? or does it have to be -15 for the best results ?
-

tealby - Regular

- Posts: 27
- Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:54 pm
- Stills: DE170
Re: Freeze Stripping Problems.
-10 will be fine.
If you are using the youngs wide mouth, lift it by the opening when frozen. Much safer.
If you are using the youngs wide mouth, lift it by the opening when frozen. Much safer.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Freeze Stripping Problems.
Cool we havnt had a knobhead here for a while
-

Brewhunter - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 330
- Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:40 pm
- Stills: T500 + Airstill
36 posts
• Page 2 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest