Page 1 of 3
Vino tinto pot head for t500

Posted:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 pm
by H12rpo
I'm nearing completion .......does anyone know whether the column should be packed with copper mesh or anything ?
Also can I source another screw in bit (looks like a bathroom screw drain plug thingy in stainless. It's the big which secures the column to the boiler cover
Re: Vino tinto spot head for t500

Posted:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:47 pm
by Easydrinker
Your post is a little difficult to understand.
But no, you do not pack a pot still column.
Sorry, I can't help with your screw.
Robert.
Re: Vino tinto spot head for t500

Posted:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:57 pm
by packapoo
@H12 re that bathroom screw drain plug thingy.....it looks like that cause that's what it is.
Plumbers merchants would be a good start point?
Re: Vino tinto spot head for t500

Posted:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:54 pm
by H12rpo
Ahhhhh that was what I was thinking packapoo mate.....cheers!
Re: Vino tinto spot head for t500

Posted:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:02 pm
by Wearthefoxhat
Still spirits column nut.
I had to order one from Australia a couple of years ago as it was not available in the UK at the time. Arrived okay after a few weeks wait.
https://www.nationalhomebrew.com.au/spi ... column-nutHope this helps.
Re: Vino tinto spot head for t500

Posted:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:03 pm
by H12rpo
Was the postage much on top ?
Re: Vino tinto spot head for t500

Posted:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:53 pm
by Wearthefoxhat
Looking back at my emails I bought 2 column nuts and the postage and handling fee was au$18. Might be cheaper if only buying 1 tho.
Re: Vino tinto pot head for t500

Posted:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:02 pm
by H12rpo
Hers a pic of the pot head so far ....just need to work out a temperature guage for the top of the pot and the easiest solution for quick changing the water feed and exit pipes that I currently use on the T500 column

Excuse the untidy soldering ......I'm still learning. At least there's no leaks...that's a win in my book. I'll polish it up later too
Re: Vino tinto pot head for t500

Posted:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:37 pm
by packapoo
>:D

Re: Vino tinto pot head for t500

Posted:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:39 am
by Mash
Nice one. That will be quite rewarding when you run it.
Re: Vino tinto pot head for t500

Posted:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:20 pm
by H12rpo
Having done a vinegar run then a week long soak in vinegar, I've just done the first sacrificial run with my VT pot head. I still haven't fitted the temp guage so just ran it as it came.
Very interesting.
From first drip it had a constant pencil lead thickness stream of spirit out of the condenser, I didn't measure the abv at the beginning but after half an hour it was down to 45 % ....in all I collected about 2 litres ...I stopped when it got down to just over 30%.....in total the time was only 45 mins from first drip!! That's massively faster than when I run it with the standard column.
I used a 20 litres wash which was part birdwatchers and part fecked up ground maize.wash
Re: Vino tinto pot head for t500

Posted:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:31 pm
by Easydrinker
I am happy that it is working, and making you happy
May your product runs all be good!
Robert.
Re: Vino tinto pot head for t500

Posted:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:10 am
by Mash
Excellent news.
Nice to get feedback & timings on this head. It has been of interest for a while.
Re: Vino tinto pot head for t500

Posted:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:59 am
by H12rpo
Racked and ran the malted barley wash.
Took the first 100ml of heads to dump measured at 45% abv
After 5 mins running abv = 45%
After 15 mins running abv = 33%
After 20 mins running abv = 30%
After 25 mins running abv = 26 %
I then took off 300 ml at the end of which at 30 mins the abv was down to 23%
I then finally took 150ml at the end of which at 35 m the abv was at 20%
The 'heart' which started at 45% and ended at 26% now has an abv of 30% obviously not drinkable at that abv so what do I do now ?
Re: Vino tinto pot head for t500

Posted:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:38 pm
by Easydrinker
You have kind of lost me.
This was a strip run?
No hearts from a whisky strip run.
Collect everything down to water.
Re-run as a spirit run.
Diluted to sub 30%
Make cuts.
Feints receiver optional but recommended.
What you do with it after that is down to personal taste.
Robert.