Re: Cornflake Wash
Just read a snippet in the"Whisky Opus" that says;
Upto 75% of flavour comes from the oak.
Opus
Upto 75% of flavour comes from the oak.
Opus
aidanmac wrote:10% loss of volume to the trub is quite acceptable?
AM
packapoo wrote:And the trub? A thin layer of basically yeast over the bottom of the fermenter.


aidanmac wrote:When it comes to making Whisky I'm not a fan of the White Dog and even from All Grain I find the spirit taste is lacking in depth or interest. It's only after some time on Oak that the spirit starts to take on any Whisky characteristics and the longer it spends there the better it gets - sorry, I know that's a bit obvious![]()
My point is that once you've made your cuts, decided on the blend of Heads, Hearts and Tails to make up your spirit, you shouldn't really expect too much in the flavour department but rather, character or hint of the background compared to clean ethanol.
Once you've done your best you have to let the magic happen in the wood![]()
I also found that letting my low wines sit for a couple of weeks before the final spirit run seems to improve the final output but I am fortunate to have had the storage space to do this in the past.
While making Whisky I did find that bringing the White Dog up to 55oC before adding it to the Oak did speed things up quite a bit. It's an adaptation of the Nuking practice and I know some purists will scoff but it actually does work to shorten maturation times. (I expect I'll get a dig over that admission and will accept my punishment like a man )![]()
![]()
AM
p.s. Just realised I've inadvertently strayed off topic and into the subject of Ageing & Flavouring, sorry about that

You're right, it is good already but it will definitely benefit from a few 
Opus 27 wrote:...... we'll be doing some more cornflake/ryvita mash. Next time we'll try mashing and sparging the flake and not fermenting on the flakes.
Opus

The things some people think of
