Vodka star
40 posts
• Page 2 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
Re: Vodka star
Never used a still conditioner, I have used turbo clar.
I would not use a clearing agent again though.
I wait for most of the sludge,not all, to settle and rack and run it.
This practice has evolved with time.
I am sure that many members of this site, and possibly a few visitors, come here, find some advice, maybe just an opinion, learn something, and never return.
If folk leave with more knowledge than they arrived with, then the visit was worthwhile.
Robert.
I would not use a clearing agent again though.
I wait for most of the sludge,not all, to settle and rack and run it.
This practice has evolved with time.
I am sure that many members of this site, and possibly a few visitors, come here, find some advice, maybe just an opinion, learn something, and never return.
If folk leave with more knowledge than they arrived with, then the visit was worthwhile.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Vodka star
Meh! I routinely use Vodka Star.
I just mix the water(hot tap temperature) and sugar, then blitz the hell out of it with a balloon whisk (electric), then leave it to cool.
Next day I just dump the yeast in and then give it about 5 minutes with the balloon whisk again to aerate, then just seal up the bucket with an air lock and leave it all running at room temp.
Takes between 5 and 7 days for the ferment to complete. I leave it for an extra week so the majority of the solids drop out, then I run it.......
I usually double distill, then let it all down to 40% or so (always over, never under) and then carbon filter it.
Gives me a nice, clean tasting neutral........
Ha! that reminds me, I'd better email Ellie-Claire to see how much I have to buy for free shipping.............
I just mix the water(hot tap temperature) and sugar, then blitz the hell out of it with a balloon whisk (electric), then leave it to cool.
Next day I just dump the yeast in and then give it about 5 minutes with the balloon whisk again to aerate, then just seal up the bucket with an air lock and leave it all running at room temp.
Takes between 5 and 7 days for the ferment to complete. I leave it for an extra week so the majority of the solids drop out, then I run it.......
I usually double distill, then let it all down to 40% or so (always over, never under) and then carbon filter it.
Gives me a nice, clean tasting neutral........
Ha! that reminds me, I'd better email Ellie-Claire to see how much I have to buy for free shipping.............
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1459
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: Vodka star
I do like a straight talking man.
Especially one with a bit of experience.
It should give some of the rhubarb and custard users a pause for thought.
Robert.
Especially one with a bit of experience.
It should give some of the rhubarb and custard users a pause for thought.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Vodka star
I stretch a VS a little, I make a 40litre wash with 8KG sugar, sill ferments dry in less than a week.
Also I don’t bother with finings, I normally just transfer it to the boiler the day before or take it out the fermenting cupboard over night, then run it, 40 litres in a 50 litre boiler, never had any trouble with it.
Also I don’t bother with finings, I normally just transfer it to the boiler the day before or take it out the fermenting cupboard over night, then run it, 40 litres in a 50 litre boiler, never had any trouble with it.
- Anavrin
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 1468
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
- Location: By the Sea
- Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash
Re: Vodka star
Hang on lads, I'll be back in a minute, just heard a truck reversing in to my yard, must be the VS lorry, I hope he's bought a pallet truck...
So yes I'm a fan, I love the fact you can pay little to no attention regarding temperature and it still ferments out with no fuss, in this hot weather it rips along though..!
I think it tastes and smells very neutral without carbon filtering so I dont bother, I susspect this is because I dont have a carbon filter... I tried pathfinder TY00 and was quite impressed also, not quite as quick but still very good and the backset was far less stinky.
Something I fear will regret asking but will ask anyway... is the trub from a VS wash worth recycling in to another wash?
So yes I'm a fan, I love the fact you can pay little to no attention regarding temperature and it still ferments out with no fuss, in this hot weather it rips along though..!
I think it tastes and smells very neutral without carbon filtering so I dont bother, I susspect this is because I dont have a carbon filter... I tried pathfinder TY00 and was quite impressed also, not quite as quick but still very good and the backset was far less stinky.
Something I fear will regret asking but will ask anyway... is the trub from a VS wash worth recycling in to another wash?
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Vodka star
I had 2x25 litre VS washes on the go this past week. They've fermented out in around 5 days. I used Turbo Klar 24 to clear the first one yesterday and have just run it through the T500. I got 3.25 litres @ 91.3% abv on the strip running it for speed between 63º - 65ºC. I tasted it during the run diluting it 50/50 to make 2 teaspoons full. Yes, it was a bit raw but, I'm not kidding, there don't appear to be any funky tastes or anything nasty coming through.
I'll run the second wash on Thurs/Friday when it's cleared and then do a spirit run with the whole lot. I have been using the SS carbon filter system but I'm seriously tempted not to bother filtering with this one coz it tastes fine. I am really impressed with Vodka Star and I'm guessing the great results are probably due to it a) not being a true turbo, and b) not overloading it with sugar?
I bought 10 more packs as I'm that impressed and I'm almost tempted to do a 6kg sacrificial sugar wash just to see what happens and find out what the resulting neutral is like, but I probably won't do that until autumn when it's a bit cooler. Then again, I'm a bit tight so when something works why screw around with it!
I'll run the second wash on Thurs/Friday when it's cleared and then do a spirit run with the whole lot. I have been using the SS carbon filter system but I'm seriously tempted not to bother filtering with this one coz it tastes fine. I am really impressed with Vodka Star and I'm guessing the great results are probably due to it a) not being a true turbo, and b) not overloading it with sugar?
I bought 10 more packs as I'm that impressed and I'm almost tempted to do a 6kg sacrificial sugar wash just to see what happens and find out what the resulting neutral is like, but I probably won't do that until autumn when it's a bit cooler. Then again, I'm a bit tight so when something works why screw around with it!
-

Thunderbird - Regular

- Posts: 92
- Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:24 am
- Location: The Cotswolds
Re: Vodka star
Maker wrote:
Something I fear will regret asking but will ask anyway... is the trub from a VS wash worth recycling in to another wash?
Yes you can harvest yeast. It is a living thing.
No it won't do the same as the original pack, because the pack contains its nutrients as well. Which you would need to add.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Vodka star
I was a big fan of VS and still am. But I found these on ebay and gave them a try: TURBO YEAST SW20 48. Worked well and a bit cheaper. Happy with result.
-

Leatherman - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 113
- Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:38 pm
Re: Vodka star
Found what exactly 
Think the link fell out in the post.

Think the link fell out in the post.

email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Vodka star
I didnt attached link. Just try to search: TURBO YEAST SW20 48 in ebay and you will find it.
Its sold in different quantities. Sorry for gramma. No auto correct on phone 
Its sold in different quantities. Sorry for gramma. No auto correct on phone 
-

Leatherman - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 113
- Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:38 pm
Re: Vodka star
I didnt attached link. Just try to search: TURBO YEAST SW20 48 in ebay and you will find it.
Its sold in different quantities. Sorry for gramma. No auto correct on phone 
Its sold in different quantities. Sorry for gramma. No auto correct on phone 
-

Leatherman - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 113
- Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:38 pm
Re: Vodka star
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 8&_sacat=0
This should take you there.
Even with short arms and long pockets, I would not choose to re-use VS yeasties from trub.
But whatever floats your boat..
Robert.
This should take you there.
Even with short arms and long pockets, I would not choose to re-use VS yeasties from trub.
But whatever floats your boat..
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Vodka star
I don't expect the trub to add any of the excellerated properties of VS, I was just asking rather than tipping it down the drain is there a use for it?
Last edited by Maker on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
Re: Vodka star
ED, have to agree. But as long as you don't expect the same performance. IMO it would perform to the same as a natural wash.
Dead yeast cells are good nutrition, so yes there is a use for then.
But there's no need, if your pitching another pack of VS.
If you are a gardener they are great for the soil and the compost heap.
If you have a septic tank, they are brilliant for that.
Dead yeast cells are good nutrition, so yes there is a use for then.
But there's no need, if your pitching another pack of VS.
If you are a gardener they are great for the soil and the compost heap.
If you have a septic tank, they are brilliant for that.
Last edited by Mash on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
40 posts
• Page 2 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
